“An oasis of calm”

Hotel Plaza Colon
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We were surprised at the old world beauty and calm at the Hotel Plaza Colon ..We arrived in Granada during a crazy noisy festival day. Entering the court yard of the hotel with a beautiful pool and landscaping , one would not know of the noise outside. The rooms were huge and well appointed ..the breakfast was wonderful and set around the beautiful pool area. My husband and I had a room with a baloney over looking the beautiful square and church ..once all the festivities ended ..this was a wonderful place to sit and have coffee and people watch ..I would return to the Colon on our next trip to Granada

Room Tip: Room with a balcony facing Square I do not know if there was a fitness center...I cannot unmark s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed 3 days in the Hotel Plaza Colon. The hotel is beautiful, incredibly clean, just so great. I have honestly travel working all over the world from Dubai, to Singapore, Thailand, US, Europe and more. I have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world which are beautiful but it is the people (the staff) at the hotel Plaza Colon that makes it one of the best I have stayed. The staff are so incredible, helpful, friendly and genuinely such good souled people. Everyone at the hotel. I reccomend it highly.

Brad T.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We have stayed at Hotel Plaza Colon since "finding" Nicaragua in 2007. We are always welcomed like family. We've had a room in every part of the hotel and like the balcony rooms facing central parc best for us. But you certainly won't be disappointed anywhere. The staff is exceptional! From the manager's office to housekeeping always helpful and giving you that warm nicaraguan smile. We LOVE Hotel Plaza Colon and wouldn't stay any other place when in Granada! Over the years they have upgraded some aspects like the wine bar and breakfast menu. Believe me, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We always enjoy the balcony rooms, but others may feel they can hear a little of the "street&qu...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2012

QUICKLY: Immaculate hotel inside and out, knowledgeable/friendly staff, convenient location!!! I wouldn't stay anywhere else!!!

Months before our trip, I emailed the hotel to arrange transportation from the airport to the hotel. They responded within several hours, and we were set! Our driver was at the airport when we arrived and we didn't have any trouble getting to the hotel (about a 45 minute drive). In fact the driver even stopped several times so I could take pictures along the way. Our first night there we had a spacious room with a smaller balcony overlooking the alley along the side of the hotel (still with a limited view of Central Park). The following day was Tope de Toro (annual bull run) and they were able to move us to a room overlooking Central Park per my request. Both rooms were clean, had ceiling fans and AC!! Every staff member was extremely friendly and knowledgeable and recommended where to go, where not to go. Although we didn't book any tours through the hotel, I appreciated them offering assistance if we decided to do so. The hotel offered a beautiful lobby, bar, courtyards, pool, excellent poolside breakfast. The hotel could not be at a more convenient location, EVERYTHING we needed was within walking distance!!! It was very easy to exchange money (BAC bank with security guard about 1.5 blocks away with ATMs that dispense American money AND Cordobas), and a liquor store on la Calle Calzada several blocks away where we would exchange American money at a good rate. This hotel was worth every penny, I can't speak highly enough about this hotel and it's staff. I came here with my husband and we will definitely be back with the kids!!!

Room Tip: Rooms along the side of the hotel are very spacious with smaller balconies and limited views of Cent...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tina V
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I'm going to start off with: I would recommend this hotel to anyone!
The staff was very friendly and the rooms and pool are excellent. The hotel is located right on the main square and the horse and buggies are right outside. The colonial style is maintained fairly well and everything was well maintained.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

By western standards this is seriously good value. The hotel is very pretty, right on the main square and has been built and maintained to the highest of standards. The rooms, pool, breakfasts, balcony are all excellent. The staff are very friendly and helpful too. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We landed in Managua and the Hotel Plaza Colon had arranged a driver to pick up up and take us an hour and a half south to Granada. The hotel is on the main city square and the feeling when you walk in is pure comfort and colonial grandeur. It didn't take us long to realize that the best, most comfortable and attractive place in Granada was our own hotel. We had a balcony room on the second floor over looking the park--we sat for hours just watching the daily theatre of hawkers and artisans, carriage drivers and locals out strolling. The staff was expert--gave us wonderful dining advice and helped arrange everything we needed. And there was a lovely pool that was perfect after touring around in the heat.

The rooms are gorgeous--all tropical hardwood, with comfortable beds and perfect appointments. Get a balcony room if you can--we worth the extra cost.

When you find a gem like this hotel you'll remember it always.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple