“Reminds Me of Hotels in the Late 1800s/Early 1900s”

Hotel Patio del Malinche
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Granada
San Antonio, Texas
“Reminds Me of Hotels in the Late 1800s/Early 1900s”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel makes you want to be there for an extended stay like people used to do a century ago. The front courtyard has plenty of cozy, comfortable places to sit and visit without disturbing anyone. The back courtyard has all the rooms, the pool, and a couple of small sitting areas on the grass near the pool. The staff were friendly and nice. The room was clean and comfortable. The location was convenient for exploring the town. The breakfast was fine, although a little small. The only downside was that my downstairs room had too much noise from the foot traffic of my neighbors in the room upstairs.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room to avoid hearing the foot noise of your upstairs neighbors.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel is in a great location just three blocks from the main square, and two blocks from Granada's bar and restaurant street. It's nice and quiet too since rooms look in on the lovely courtyards rather than out to the street. (Note that this does mean no big windows or views from any of the rooms.) Fantastic pool in the second courtyard with a nice bar area alongside. Breakfast is included and is very nice to enjoy while sitting in the courtyard. What makes this place a 5 though is the staff, who are extremely attentive and helpful. The rooms are just a touch spartan and could use a few decorative touches, but that is just being too picky! We wouldn't hesitate to stay again and recommend the El Patio del Malinche.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank viaducttravel
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights at the hotel in the peak season. The experience could only have been better if the rooms were larger- though to be fair- we arrived after spending 13 days in a two bedroom house that we rented on the coast.

We didn't have advance reservations so I am pretty sure we had the last available room. It was spotless and very comfortable would have just liked a little more room for relaxing in the room.

Breakfast was great, the patios are very beautiful an tranquil.

The staff directed us to some incredible restaurants and fabulous activities. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Amy B
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

El Patio Malinche is a hotel dream come true!
They have about 20 really beautiful rooms set around a little courtyard with a nice clean pool and some chairs. The breakfast is amazing, staff superfriendly and helpful and the views of the volcano great. I wish there were a place like that in every town :)
One little thing: they need to work on their hot water supply as the water in our room only was hot in the "rush hours" but not in the middle of the afternoon...

Room Tip: Second floor at the back, beatuful view of the pool and the volcano!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed in Patio del Malinche from Dec 22nd - 27th. I traveled to Granada on my own just for a get away and an adventure as well as some volunteer work in nearby Pantanal. This hotel was truly perfect. It is 3 blocks from the Parque Central and is a convenient walk to everything. The lobby and the courtyards are beautifully decorated with art work and plants. There are a couple of hammocks and many chairs throughout the property. The pool area is gorgeous and the wooden chairs are incredibly comfortable. I am the kind of person that is very active and finds it hard to sit still. However I absolutely loved relaxing in the hammocks and sitting by the pool reading my book and working on my travel blog. The wifi worked throughout the property the entire time. Every single member of the staff, from the owners, to the receptionists, to the kitchen staff were very helpful. The breakfasts were phenomenal and I felt like a queen when I was served. If you bring your own bottle, they provide you with free water. The owners were on site most of the time and busily taking care of every little detail. The open air design of the hotel, like most area hotels, kept things cool. My room was on the 2nd floor and was very clean. There were some nice little storage places which was helpful. I used the safe and it worked very well. I am kind of a bed snob and need a good nights' sleep. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was well insulated from neighboring room noise and outdoor noise. The ONLY thing that I think could be improved upon was that the a/c blew right on my face when I slept therefore I did not use it at night. I wish I could have, but I did not want to wake up congested. I felt very safe in this hotel.

I cannot remember the names of the drivers, but the staff arranged for a gentleman to drive me to Volcan Masaya (he waited in the parking lot while I hiked around, and then drove me back) and another gentleman to drive me to another hotel in Managua. Both drivers were great and I felt completely safe with them. If you are looking for a hotel in Granada, book this one without hesitation.

A few words about Granada.... Like everything, it is what you make of it. It was not quite as interesting as I thought it would be, but I enjoyed my time here. I enjoyed Volcan Masaya very much. I only stayed there for an hour but would have preferred to hike around for a few hours. I also took a bus to a really cute little town called Nindiri which has the most photogenic graveyard that I have ever seen. There were many nice restaurants in Granada and I was pleased to see that many of them had an American or European influence so I could have some healthier food choices. I never felt unsafe in Granada and had all very positive experiences.

Room Tip: I think they are all great!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Brandee S
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Although this was our second choice in Granada, we were really pleased with our stay. Both the street and the hotel itself were quiet (our rooms were right next to the pool, so we wondered if it might be noisy, but pool closing time was enforced). The rooms were comfortable, clean and nicely-air conditioned, and we enjoyed relaxing on the patio in and around the pool. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a great location, close to many restaurants. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a nice view. We had requested those, but they weren't available.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed in Granada for three nights, and this is a little gem. The room was excellent and nicely decorated,the bathroom clean with a nice shower, the patio inside the hotel with the swimming pool was just what you need after going around in the warm/hot Granada. The breakfast was one of the best that we had in the whole Nicaragua... but most of all the people at the hotel are amazing: always smiling and always happy! If you are staying in Granada, stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple