“A cool club with a guesthouse - Love it or hate it”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel El Club

Hotel El Club
Ranked #29 of 44 Hotels in Granada
Singapore, Singapore
“A cool club with a guesthouse - Love it or hate it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2007

I spent four nights at El Club in Sep 07 and my experience is consistent with many other ones reviewed in this forum. El Club is a nice property, very well maintained and very conveniently located in Granada's city center. My Single "Standard" room was basic but decent (though not as fancy as the premium ones shown on their website), common areas were nice and the service was friendly and efficient. The pool was the big miss. All in all, so far good value for money.

The point with this hotel is that, as its own name says, it is more properly a club with attached a guest house. At time of my stay it was indeed the hottest club in town, gathering at night a crowd from all over around. If you like the idea, you will have great time and when the sun sets you will be right in the middle of the action, otherwise you will have no chance of escaping the noice of people drinking and dancing in the lounge next door. I had good time indeed, but if you like the comfort of a traditional guest house you may find other good hotels in the same range in town, so eventually I would recommend to make your choice basing on whether you like the idea of having your room in the hottest spot in town and drinking your martini in your bed if you will.

Final remarks: I paid my room with credit card at a 5% surcharge. They booked for me a taxi early in the morning to Managua airport that cost me $35.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank gdilieto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2007

We, a family of 4, booked this hotel. They did not tell us about the party friday, saturday or sunday night. Music stops at 2 am, then cleaning up till 4 am. Sleep untill 6 am, then they make preparations for breakfast etc. 2 dirty sheets and nails in my bed when we arrived. But the staff are polite and efficient. The restaurant is very good (and fair prices). The rooms at the hotel is absolutely worth a visit (a room with a mezzanine/loftroom). So if you are young, stay at this hotel, get drunk and crawl to you room.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank martinsigvardsen
edmonton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2007

El Club is a nice place to go for a drink or party all night. However, if you would like to sleep prior to 3AM stay away! This is a nigtclub with a few SMALL rooms in the back. El Club owners make their money hosting large parties that will shake your hotel room door. El Club's owner was unwilling to offer a discount to me upon check-out after a sleepless night. He was rude and was not worried about a poor review on this site. Show him the power of this site.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tuckerEdmonton
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2007

I haven't stayed there in a while, but I go there whenever I am in town. Marco and Ellen, the owners, are 2 of the most congenial people in the world. The food is great, and the staff, normally all Nicas with an occasional French woman or some such thrown in, are always great.
I read a review commenting on the rooms being small. I don't remember it that way at all, but the rooms are not all the same. I know they have added rooms since I stayed there but one of the rooms I stayed in had a second story sitting area. If the first room you see isn't to your liking ask to see another. Personally I loved the decor, too. (And what would you be doing hanging out in your room for, anyway?! You're in Nicaragua!)
The bar was the place to be after sundown. I had many super nights there, chatting with people from all over the world, including Nicaragua (not all tourists). I highly recommend a bottle of 12 year old Flor de Cana rum and a glass and an ice bucket filled with hand chipped ice to while away the hours. But for god's sake, don't ruin it with coke!
Tell Marco and Ellen I said hi, and Hasta Pronto!

• Liked — Congeniality of the place and the people.
  • Disliked — N
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled with friends
4 Thank gvolly
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2006

When talking about El Club, it is primarily a drinking bar, and hotel second. El Club's primary business is sponsoring all night drinking parties that potential guests should inquire about. The drinking parties are packed and fill up even outside, the drunkness has led to many complaints in the community. I would not recommend this business to tourists who adhere to the philosophy of low impact tourism. In what was once a quiet, traditional family neighborhood has now been converted into a mini "Cancun" club scene. If you do decide to stay there, plan to stay up late (weekends) because the disco music shakes the adobe walls.

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — drunken parties
  • Tips/Secrets — there are better hotels in Granada
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank tcwilliam
Georgia usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2006

This is one of the best hotels in Central America
I enjoyed every day
could not say enough about Ella and her staff

• Liked — Room service
  • Disliked — nothing everything good
  • Tips/Secrets — yes this year in oct
  • Stayed July 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2006

I was quite wary of a hotel calling itself El Club at the cost of $35.00 a night, but Hotel El Club was much more than I expected. While no one would call the rooms luxurious or large, for $35.00 the bed was fine, the shower worked, and the toilet flushed. I found storage for all my clothes and while the design of the room was rather funky in an odd way rather than a cool way, it was fine for a single person in town for a couple of days. The room might be a bit confining if you are looking for a romantic spot or because of age you need more comforts than most. However, it was fine for my needs. The hotel common areas are much nicer than the rooms. The courtyard was beautiful and the bar spacious and welcoming. The food was quite good and quite reasonable. The service at Hotel El Club was fantastic. The Dutch owners are warm and helpful, and the Nicaraguan staff always have a smile on their faces and are willing to accommodate your needs. On one day I was in Grenada, there was absolutely no water in the entire city. Unfortunately for me, it happened right after I completed a 90 minute work out. I was wet with perspiration from head to toe. The staff were amazingly apologetic and the housekeeping staff approached me with containers of filtered water usually used for drinking. These kind people filled several buckets up with this water so I could wash myself off and make myself comfortable. That is what I call service! There are certainly more luxurious places to stay in Grenada. Yet, for the money, El Club is by far the best value.

• Liked — The service was great
  • Disliked — The room was rather odd and small
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled solo