“Bed bags”
Review of The Bearded Monkey

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
The Bearded Monkey
Ranked #50 of 76 Specialty Lodging in Granada
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there in a private room and there were a lot of bed bags in my bed... The staff were nice but the owner didnt want to wash my cloths for free...:/
Next door theres a 3 others hostel try them.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Liorihaliva

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have stayed at Bearded Monkey several times and always enjoyed it. Monkey seems to have changed hands more than once, and what's true on one visit may not be true on the next. Expect free coffee, Internet, a nice atmosphere, and you'll meet travelers from many countries. Price goes up and down over the months. I had some problems with the attitude of reception staff (notably a noisy boombox all day), but this too changes with staff turnover.
Could be better. Reception staff need training. Internet computers should be kept in better repair. Coffee should be fresh every day, not reheated from yesterday. I've been annoyed by rowdy young drunks; Bearded Monkey needs more discipline.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Great location in Granada, everything is walking distance from here, and met some other great travelers there. I got the worst bedbug bites from the hammocks here. The beds were fine and for $5/night very affordable. I just suggest do not sit in the hammocks. Also walking between the dorms and the bathroom is very slippery especially when its raining out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This place is a joke. The dorms, although cheap at $5/night, are stuffy and don't feel very secure at night. The toilets and showers are literally falling apart. Half of the toilets were broken and none of the showers were working in the morning.

When I asked the guy at the front desk if he knew what the problem was or when they might be working again, he simply shrugged and walked away, as if it weren't a big problem. I think that most people would agree that a little more concern would be appropriate when the showers inexplicably stop working at a hostel/hotel!

The entire operation seemed generally dysfunctional and unprofessional. They never seemed to be able to answer the most basic questions, and NEVER had change at the front desk, including when about 8 people were trying to check out in the morning.

In a place like Granada, where there are countless budget options, there's no reason to put oneself through the torture that is the Bearded Monkey.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Joe H
Reviewed June 1, 2013

6 of us stayed here at the beginning of May. The rooms were hot, dark, and we couldn't figure out how to get one of the fans working until the second night. We stayed in a dorm room which wasn't crowded the first night, but then it was the second night because they had to fumigate a second room for bed bugs, so they moved all of those people in our room. Otherwise, it was a nice place to hang out. A lot of tables and hammocks, and it was easy to meet other travelers. A perk was that there were shuttles/activities available from the Bearded Monkey to Poste Rojo and the Isletas de Granada. The location of the hostel was good, and the staff was friendly. The shower area could use some improvement, but overall I wouldn't say I had a bad stay but I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Bring a sleep liner if you're worried about bed bugs. The rooms are very, very hot.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This hostel isn't a squeaky clean stand-out, but, it does offer the basic amenities of a typical hostel. Keep in mind, this is Nicaragua, not Europe. That in itself makes a huge difference! The staff was very nice throughout our stay. We paid a bit extra to store our food in their refrigerator and use their kitchen. Although the kitchen had mouse poop on the counters, we sanitized what we could and made the most of it. After all, we did get to make our meals, and that's what we were looking to do. The courtyard is covered with hanging chairs/hammocks with mismatched tables dispersed about. We spent a lot of time here planning out our days (we were there working for a nonprofit) which came in handy. The beds are nothing to write home about. If the hostel isn't totally full, I would recommend doubling up your mattress for a more comfortable night's sleep. They have computers available, and there is a little store across the street as well as an internet/phone cafe. The location was great to the city's central park area, and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Lonely Planet strikes again with this catastrophically bad recommendation. In Granada we stayed in the best and worst hostels of our whole trip in Central America, this one being the worst. Where do I start... Firstly, it's a very strange place that has absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever. The staff lay around watching the Simpsons the whole time we were there. The bar/restaurant is no longer open adding to the lack of atmosphere. The toilets and showers are dark and dingy at the back of the building, one of the three toilets was broken and if someone else is taking a shower you don't get more than a trickle out of the shower.
We thought maybe the place was undergoing renovations as when we checked in only 2 dorms seemed to be open and no privates were available, even though none of them looked occupied, and there were mattresses piled up in the courtyard at the back of the building. It should have been a warning sign. I woke up at 3am to find bites all down my arms and got my torch on the mattress to find 3 big bed bugs crawling about. I showed the night guard the bugs and he offered me another bed, but I went for a hammock instead. Even better, the day after we left my bites had fully come out and I had a trail from my ankle, up my back to my wrist, a great look.
The next morning as I was packing my stuff up I found another bed bug crawling around in my clothes and took it to show the lady on the reception. I told her about the night before and that I wouldn't be paying for my stay there. She looked nonplussed, and called the night guard over to tell him what I had said. He agreed that he had seen the bugs in my bed and shrugged his shoulders when she told him I wasn't going to pay.
So, in summary, I should have read TA reviews before staying here. You can see how it might have been good once upon a time but not any more. I'm pretty sure enough people have complained about bed bugs that the people running the hostel know they have a problem, but they don't seem to care and instead seem to be running the place into the ground. Worst hostel ever!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple