“Magical!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sherwood Oregon
“Magical!”
Reviewed May 11, 2008

We spent six nights at the hotel It was wonderful! The staff was amazing - friendly, sweet and veryhelpful. They arranged many outings for us. They knew the local vendors and we felt secure knowing we were in good hands. Our room was spotless, very comfortable, and the air conditioning was great after a day spent exploring the volcano. We woke up every morning looking forward to the coffee and the great breakfast that came with our room. The food was fantastic and you couldn't find a friendlier bar to meet up with fellow travelers and share stories. The owners, Terry and Nancy, are at the hotel every day and went out of their way to be sure everything was perfect for us. Granada is delightful and I think I left my heart at Casa San Francisco! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Slovak first
Plainfield, Vermont
Reviewed May 4, 2008

If it's the people that truly make a place great, then Casa San Francisco is where we will always stay when visiting Granada. Thanks to the welcoming and warm hospitality of the co-owners and sisters, Nancy Bergman and Terry Leary, and their incredibly friendly and gracious bilingual staff, Casa San Francisco is 'magnifico'. The hotel experience here is more like being a special guest in their home and if you stay in the annex, you are indeed staying in Terry's home.
A fulfilling and deliciously healthy breakfast is included in the room rate. It is served in the luscious, fresh air garden courtyard of the hotel. The coffee is the best. It was a great start to a day of exploring all that Granada has to offer.
And if you would like the company of the perfect bilingual tour guide to show you around, staff member Marlene Rivas (mrnicaraguatour@hotmail.com) is absolutely delightful to be with. She introduced us to sights, sounds and people that the travel guides have yet to discover. Our two days with Marlene as our guide were most enjoyable and rewarding.
During our week in Granada, we ate out every evening but didn't eat dinner at Casa San Francisco until our last night there. It turns out that we saved the best for last. We did, however, spend several evenings at the bar where the drinks were good and cold and bartender Osman was infectiously cheerful and entertaining.
Next time, and there will be a next time, we'll eat dinner much more often at the hotel that we will certainly call our 'home away from home', Casa San Francisco.

Stayed March 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 21, 2008

My daughter and I spent three nights at Casa San Francisco. It was a magical retreat for us at an amazing price. We arrived after a 10 hour bus ride and were warmly welcomed by the staff into a candlelit lobby. The hotel has amazing (and colorful) architecture, wonderful flowers, beautiful pool, & comfortable/clean rooms. Air conditioning is available if you wish. The hotel also hosts a restaurant which serves a complimentary breakfast (with the best fruit you've ever tasted) to hotel guests. Meals, appetizers and drinks can be purchased throughout the day. The staff are so friendly and helpful. Most speak impeccable English. A computer with internet access is available free of charge to guests. The staff will make arrangements for taxi rides to and from the airport in Managua even at unusual hours (for me it was at 4 am). Granada is a wonderful town to explore, most of it within easy walking distance from the hotel. I definitely want to return to Hotel San Francisco with my husband to share this experience with him.

• Liked — ambiance & staff
  • Disliked — that I couldn't stay longer (because of my schedule!)
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 20, 2008

Good hotel, excellent value for your money. The room was clean, bathroom small but also very clean. Excellent breakfast which is in included in the price, best gallo pinto breakfast I've had in Nicaragua. The restaurant has a nice bar that serves decent cocktails as well. I would recommend this place to others.

• Stayed April 2008
Idaho
Reviewed March 26, 2008

I"ve stayed at Casa San Francisco on four different visits to Granada. This time I stayed at their annex. It is a beautiful hotel, with the most wonderful staff--all of them. There is an incredible restaurant, wireless internet, pool, and it has the perfect location in the city.

The sisters that own the hotel are a joy. They are present in the hotel on a daily basis. Their staff are so helpful in arranging transportation or tours. I'll continue to return here.

John Roberts, Boise, Idaho USA

• Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I spent a week at the Casa San Francisco and loved everything about it. I stayed in room #4 which is charming with a delightful private balcony. There is a small pool in which to cool off after an afternoon of sightseeing. The breakfasts are lovely and are served in a magical courtyard with a splashing fountain, blossoming tropical flowers, and filled with birdsong. I dined at the hotel's restaurant twice and had a great meal both times. Casa San Francisco is located around the corner from the Ex-Convento San Francisco which has an interesting museum and it is a short walk to the main square. However, the best thing about Casa San Francisco is the professional, friendly and very helpful staff. I loved this place.

• Liked — The wonderful staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Managua
Reviewed March 22, 2008

This might be a little bad to know...but it has to be known...to be one of the hotel with no low prices in granada....it has absolutely no place to park your car. They tell you u can park in the corner for 4 dollars the day, ( 2 in the afternoon and 2 for the night), that if u r staying in the hotel.
Mr. Armando(Who is extremely nice) is the one in the parking lot...I had no complaints about the hotel except for the fact that at breakfast time...We were practically ignored for 15 min but after that..the rooms are great and the place is clean.
I stayed for 3 nights and went to check my car yesterday around 6 pm...and everything seemed ok...today in the morning around 10 am...I see one door opened and i think maybe they just move it since they ask u for the car keys in case they have to move the car to park other cars, but no...the door had been forced, the window was hanging and the radio had been pulled out completely...they opened the compartment and stealed everything inside, the jack and all the devices were stolen...and they had torn apart the tapestry, took one speaker and seemed they could not steal the other one but was all pulled out with all the wires out...And then when I turned the car on...it was making a lot of noises i still dont know what they took out from it...please be careful...and i wish I didnt have to say this...its really sad to say this being from managua and having nothing like that happened to me before, I asked if it was safe to park the car there...and they told me it was...and now...well i felt really bad and in shock...cause u go here to have fun and a relaxed time...u are paying thinking everything is okay and u ae practically about to leave and see your car so outraged...its just terrible...I know there are other tourists out there who go there with a car and the least they want to worry about is the car being unsafe, I know they hotel is about the rooms and all...but i think the parking lot must be something of the same importance for those clients looking for a get away and who also have a car and its just an awful experience to go through even for a local wanting to have a good time for semana santa holidays.

• Liked — The place is really pretty.
  • Disliked — My car got outraged and the staff ignored me for around 15 min for breakfast,
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple