“above and beyond”

GreenLeadersGold level
calgary
“above and beyond”
Reviewed January 12, 2008

On Friday the 11th of January we came into Granada from Managua. After looking around town at hotels we selected the Casa San Francisco as the one for us. Carlos, the fellow who checked us in and kindly listened to my broken Spanish (he speaks perfect English, I found out later ) and showed us around the hotel. As soon as I put my luggage down in the room I realized I had left my passport, travellers cheques and cash in the safe box in our Managua hotel. I went up to the reception area to ask for help! Carlos phoned my previous hotel for me (they spoke little English) and my belongings were still safely in the lock box. After several phone calls back and forth I decided I would retrieve my belongings rather than have them sent. Carlos arranged a cab for me at a really fair price and off I went to Managua.

Aside from this fabulous customer service the hotel is beautiful. A restored colonial home offers complimentary breakfast, free internet and can arrange most other things for you.

We are here for a month and will probably stay here again on our way back to the airport next month.

Thanks Casa San Francisco and especially Carlos,
Renee and Ken MacKenzie
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank canadakid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Slovak first
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 8, 2008

Three blocks off the main square, and just a block from the San Francisco church and museum (not to mention Kathy's Waffle House), the Casa San Francisco is sheltered from much of the square's traffic and coming-and-going but still within close walking range of everything you want to see (except boats to the islands, which is a longer walk or taxi ride down to the lake). We had a pleasant, functional interior room with small but adequate bathroom, air conditioning and TV; breakfast is included. A very big plus: free internet access all day and night. We didn't use the very small pool located in the back patio, though it looked attractive. Extraordinarily helpful, knowledgeable and bilingual front-desk staff; they facilitated our every request for directions, taxis, etc. The in-house restaurant is not part of the hotel, so expect to pay separately for any lunches and dinners. The only drawback to the Casa San Francisco is that the dining tables take up the entire (small) hotel lobby and first patio, leaving no room for just relaxing or reading or chatting outside the bedroom.

• Liked — location and helpful staff
  • Disliked — lack of lobby space for relaxing, conversing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank peterwhite12
Toronto, ONT
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I am always suspect of really negative reviews where travellers give the place the lowest possible score. But in this case (read on) I think it is with merit.

We were booked into Casa San Francisco for two nights in December 2007. Though my wife had stayed at another hotel in Granada on a previous stay, I suggested that we try something different. Positive reviews on this site and in travel guides help reaffirm our decision.

The first sign of something amiss was upon arrival. You know when you pull up to your hotel and a fire truck is outside, a tiny alarm bell should go off. A big hose was running through the lobby and the restaurant. Hmmm. No smell of smoke, though. No, not a fire. They were just replenishing their water supply. (This should have been the second clue).

Merrily we checked in, and yes, the water was not on. "It will be on later," we were informed.

We did some sight seeing for a few hours, came back to the room, and by then, a shower - even a cold one - would have been delightful. Nope. Nada. Niente.

We took a dip in the "pool" to cool off, with the accompanying entertainment provided by a frustrated employee who was working on the water supply. Back to the room after our dip and well, still no water.

We went to dinner, and before departure we were assured that it would be back on by the time of our return.

Not to be.

In fact, there was no water all night. By morning, the guests filed one by one to lodge their complaints and concerns with the front desk. These were met by indifference and mumbled apologies.

Okay, we're all experienced travellers and yes, we all know that things are not always the way we'd like them to be, but when you're expecting that you're staying in one of the better places in town, running water (at least in some fashion in a 24 hour period) should be (underline should) pretty much a given.

Let me not disgust you with what the toilet was like at the end of this charade. I do ascribe to the "if it's yellow, let it mellow" theory of water conservation, but in this instance we were well past yellow. Not very mellow.

A word of wise to hotel operators everywhere - just be straight up. If it's broken and you can't fix it, just say so. If you can't fix it but can't be sure when, just say so. Don't fudge it. Say you're sorry and if you don't know when, just say so. If you feel really badly, discount the room, or buy us lunch, but that's not really what we want. The truth is painful but it's more efficient over time than telling a series of lies that will not stand the test of time. In the age of the informed traveller, fulfilled expectations are the currency that brings people back.

To close, in the morning, after it was apparent that we might be getting a shower on our last day in Nicaragua before our long flight home, I went across town to the Gran Francia (baseball hat on) and was able to get a booking there. They had copious amounts of water and cheerful, professional staff.

I do hope that the great water shortage at the Casa San Francisco was a temporary aberration. It seemed to be a charming hotel, though for an extra $20 we had a giant room at La Gran Francia (did I mention the showers and the toilet you could flush?)

The only other thing that irked me about Casa San Francisco was the caged birds in the dining area. It seems a little tacky for hotels to be doing this in 2008, but it's something we could all do without.

Stayed December 2007
7 Thank happytraveller12
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed January 6, 2008

Charming hotel with very nice English speaking staff, but loud birds. We really liked this place because it looked very cute with great courtyards, nice clean rooms, free Internet access (both WiFi and a computer they have available for use), free water, free breakfast, and is centrally located. Lowent, Carlos and the rest of the staff were all very nice and helpful and many of them speak impeccable English. Terry (one of the owners) was very nice to us and even did something special for us since we were there on our honeymoon (she is great!). Breakfast was included and was pretty good (not excellent, but solid…surprisingly better than at Kathy’s Waffle House). They have 2 pet toucans and 2 parakeets that wander the courtyard and play with guests and while they are very cute and friendly (though one of the parakeets bit my finger one morning), the parakeets’ loud chirping starting around 6:00am really bothered me (if you stay here and don’t like bird noises, ask for a room in the rear to get as far away from them as possible…we moved rooms during our stay and were still kinda bothered by the noise). Also, double check that your room has a curtain over the window. If not, ask for a different one or use a pool towel to cover it up as it may get very bright earlier in the morning than you may prefer.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank SEANinSoCal
Vancouver
Reviewed December 27, 2007

This hotel has friendly English speaking staff, a superb chef, an excellent bar with happy hour, colourful colonial architecture, balconies, tropical flowers and birds and a small pool. You will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Attractiveness of all decor
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
Chatham, NY
Reviewed December 17, 2007

I had the wonderful experience of staying at Casa San Francisco for three nights after more than three weeks of travel in Nicaragua through the high end recommendation of Lonely Planet (although the price was very reasonable). The accommodations were lovely, as depicted on their website, particularly the bathroom, which was spacious and provided the hot showers I had been missing. Breakfast was beautiful, served on the patio, among the Tocans. Staff were full of information about Granada and the surrounding area and were extremely competent at assisting with booking tours, getting us to baseball games, etc.

The hotel is small and homey (yet quiet and private), allowing us to meet and chat with fellow travelers. The owner, Terry Leary, was very friendly, and even connected us with a volunteer opportunity.

I highly recommend this lovely and friendly hotel.

• Liked — The historical setting.
  • Disliked — Liked it all.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oldhippiechick
Hudson River Valley, New York
Reviewed December 9, 2007

Casa San Francisco is a leader in the Granada renaissance. We stayed three nights. The staff was most helpful in assisting us in planning our daily activities. We highly recommend that you enjoy at least one dinner… the food is muy bueno. Be sure to meet the owner, Terry Leary.

• Liked — Great staff
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple