“the only place to stay in Granada”

La Gran Francia Hotel y Restaurante
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I visited Granada after the bar exam and stayed at the hotel (a Nicaraguan friend's recommendation) for few days. The rooms are beautiful, rustic with incredible attention to detail, spacious and air-conditioned. The staff was so friendly and accomodating, which was great because we arrived fairly late. The breakfast was typical of the area, not anything fancy, but definitely yummy. Our room also had a cute little patio overlooking the plaza, which was really nice in the morning. We had dinner at the restaurant adjacent to the hotel once, and it was great! We would have come back for another dinner, but we wanted to check out other places. I highly recommend it for an authentic and a little more upscale and elegant meal. An added bonus is the history of the hotel. I think it was a former French duke's home and even has an old prison now used as a bar. The upstairs has a wrap-around balcony that overlooks the plaza and you can have cocktails up there and do some people watching. Not sure about internet--i dont bring computers when i travel for fun....but i remember seeing people with them in the lobby. The restaurant is located right next to the hotel and both are owned by the same people. We loved it so much we will be visiting again next January. I also hightly recommend having vigoron (yuca, chicharron, and vinegary salad) and cacao in the plaza at La gata's (just a little hut). we loved it and no one got sick. ask about it at the hotel or restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 22, 2011

What can I say this place is 100% Amazing!!! I give it 5 Stars and thats only because I can't give it 10 stars. Not only is the hotel very beautiful with very spacious clean rooms and located in the perfect place in the center of town. Not only is the hotel way under priced, with a complete feeling of being totally safe but the staff is amazing, they remember your name and all your preferences. They anticipate your needs and exceed all of your expectations, they know every place in town to go for food or play.(It was about 2 hours before my best friends wedding, I pulled my all white lien suit of of my suit bag for the all white wedding theme, only to find it was very crushed from traveling, I franticly ran to the front desk then realized, I had no idea how to say "can you please press my suit?" in Spanish, as I gave my best impression of pressing a suit the front desk guy smile and said in perfect English "don't worry Mr. Collins,we can press your suit as he motion for a young lady in hotel uniform to come over, she took my suit and assure me it would be back in time for the all white wedding. Completely relieved, I walked across the park to a near by hotel where some of the other wedding party were staying.When I returned about 30 min later as I entered the hotel the front desk gentleman said Mr. Collins, your suit is in your room. Unbelievable I thought that's what you call service.) We also had a dinner party next door at their restaurant for over 40 ppl the food was delicious service was immaculate and all drinks poured over filtered ice. I couldn't imagine staying at a different hotel the next time I am there...Make sure you ask for the hotel manager she is great and runs a hotel where to say that they aim to please and exceed your expectations would be an understatement.THEY GO WAY ABOVE AND BEYOND!!!! I love this place so as the titled stated "THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE"

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 19, 2011

We were in Granada for a wedding and stayed at La Gran Francia. The hotel is older - but everything was working fine for us. We had a nice little patio with 2 chairs up on the 2nd floor where we had a few Tonas and watched the people pass by on the street.
Our hotel room was clean, it had the basics (hairdryer, tv, safe) but for some reason our room had no refridgerator although all of our friends that stayed there had one. Seeing as we had no reason to have a refridgerator, it was really not a big deal. I'm sure if we would've asked for one we would've gotten one. You can hair noise fairly easily through the doors - but really no one in the hotel was loud and the street was very quiet after 10:00 p.m.
The staff here was super friendly - we were always greeted leaving and entering the hotel, and they knew who we were and made sure that we were enjoying our stay.
I definitely would stay here again when I next visit Nicaragua.

Reviewed January 18, 2011

La Gran Francia Hotel and Restaurant is well located at Granada but there are several small hotels in same conditions. The rooms are big, in the morning the water was not hot at the shower. the internet was weak and we had to go out of the room to have wireless. The breakfast also not very good and took long time.
We tried the restaurant that the guide said was one of the best at Granada but had not anything special. The people was not very kind, anyway can be an option but I believe is possible to meet another hotel better and with the same location.

2  Thank elica49
Reviewed January 15, 2011

La Gran Francia is a pretty hotel but seems poorly run. We had requested a quiet room and they put us on a noisy street (although we did later change rooms). The rooms feel a bit worn and threadbare and are not excessively clean. The staff seemed utterly indifferent to the guests, and when asked to arrange tourist activites, they offered to do so at about a 50% mark-up. (BTW, you can just walk up the street to several offices which can arrange trips, tours, etc.) only at breakfast there, but the food was poor.

Reviewed July 18, 2010

I traveled to Nicaragua to conduct an interview with one the country's leading poets currently living in Managua. However, there was no way I was going to stay in Managua because it's a very ugly city ( I'm Nicaraguan, so I can say this) I chose to stay in Granada instead because it's charming, very historically significant and one the country's safest cities.

I also wanted to return to the hotel, La Gran Francia, as I had stayed there 5-years ago, and had fallen in love with its comfort, Spanish colonial architecture, plush beds, attentive, warm and friendly service, and hospital-like cleanliness! It's also very centrally located, steps away from the central park, Cathedral and cafes

On this recent visit; 3-days during the last week of May 2010, I still found all of these wonderful things to be true. The staff, especially the driver of the hotel were wonderful with great suggestions of things to do, places to see and how to get around. I love the WIFI!

Most importantly, you can be certain that you can TRUST everyone here, which is very important to me, especially as a woman traveling alone in Nicaragua. The Driver drove me back and forth, from Granada to Managua, and then all the way to Leon, and I felt completely at ease and safe traveling with him throughout the countryside during this time.

My only note of contention is that my bed sheets had a strange acrid smell, and this really confused and annoyed me. (it didn't fit with the high standards that I had experienced at La Gran Francia before) The sheets were clean, and probably even starched, but they did not smell fresh. I should have asked the hotel staff to change the sheets for me, but I chickened out because I didn't want to appear demanding. ( I know, this was stupid on my part) However, if I had to do it again, I would definitely ask for a change of sheets.

So, when you stay at La Gran Francia, I suggest that you check the sheets before the maid leaves your room. In summary, this was my only disappointment, but perhaps it had something to do with the low season, or the recent new change in management?

I really love this hotel, and the only reason I'm mentioning this is because I don't want its quality to begin to be diminished by these kinds of oversights. I definitely do not want to deter anyone from staying here, because of this critical notation.

For this price category and value, I would normally give La Gran Francia a 5-stars, but I can only give it 4-stars, if only for this reason.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank slenderbutter
Reviewed April 15, 2010

La Gran Francia is the most beautiful, picturesque and convenient hotel in all of Grenada. On a recent visit to Nicaragua with friends, we stumbled upon La Gran Francia, as it is located right off of the main plaza in Grenada. Stepping into La Gran Francia was like walking into a period piece film--- every stone and piece of furniture has been lovingly restored to its original, colonial splendor. If you are interested in history and architecture, then this is the place for you. I was lucky enough to sit down for a drink with the owner and he explained to me that La Gran Francia is the oldest surviving building in Grenada. In fact, he informed me that the bar of the hotel used to serve as a jail during the reign of William Walker. Every where you walk there are glimpses into the past. However, the hotel has been carefully restored and our stay was full of modern comforts and amenities.
Perhaps my favorite part of my stay at La Gran Francia was enjoying drinks on the wrap-around balcony that overlooks the main plaza with stunning views of the city's architectural gems. I felt completely taken care of by the staff. Everyone at the hotel was extremely friendly and helped me to plan a wonderful itinerary of activities and adventures.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends