“will not return”

Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Granada
boston
“will not return”
Reviewed January 15, 2011

La Gran Francia is a pretty hotel but seems poorly run. We had requested a quiet room and they put us on a noisy street (although we did later change rooms). The rooms feel a bit worn and threadbare and are not excessively clean. The staff seemed utterly indifferent to the guests, and when asked to arrange tourist activites, they offered to do so at about a 50% mark-up. (BTW, you can just walk up the street to several offices which can arrange trips, tours, etc.) only at breakfast there, but the food was poor.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Czech first
Oakland, California
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I traveled to Nicaragua to conduct an interview with one the country's leading poets currently living in Managua. However, there was no way I was going to stay in Managua because it's a very ugly city ( I'm Nicaraguan, so I can say this) I chose to stay in Granada instead because it's charming, very historically significant and one the country's safest cities.

I also wanted to return to the hotel, La Gran Francia, as I had stayed there 5-years ago, and had fallen in love with its comfort, Spanish colonial architecture, plush beds, attentive, warm and friendly service, and hospital-like cleanliness! It's also very centrally located, steps away from the central park, Cathedral and cafes

On this recent visit; 3-days during the last week of May 2010, I still found all of these wonderful things to be true. The staff, especially the driver of the hotel were wonderful with great suggestions of things to do, places to see and how to get around. I love the WIFI!

Most importantly, you can be certain that you can TRUST everyone here, which is very important to me, especially as a woman traveling alone in Nicaragua. The Driver drove me back and forth, from Granada to Managua, and then all the way to Leon, and I felt completely at ease and safe traveling with him throughout the countryside during this time.

My only note of contention is that my bed sheets had a strange acrid smell, and this really confused and annoyed me. (it didn't fit with the high standards that I had experienced at La Gran Francia before) The sheets were clean, and probably even starched, but they did not smell fresh. I should have asked the hotel staff to change the sheets for me, but I chickened out because I didn't want to appear demanding. ( I know, this was stupid on my part) However, if I had to do it again, I would definitely ask for a change of sheets.

So, when you stay at La Gran Francia, I suggest that you check the sheets before the maid leaves your room. In summary, this was my only disappointment, but perhaps it had something to do with the low season, or the recent new change in management?

I really love this hotel, and the only reason I'm mentioning this is because I don't want its quality to begin to be diminished by these kinds of oversights. I definitely do not want to deter anyone from staying here, because of this critical notation.

For this price category and value, I would normally give La Gran Francia a 5-stars, but I can only give it 4-stars, if only for this reason.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank slenderbutter
San Diego, CA
Reviewed April 15, 2010

La Gran Francia is the most beautiful, picturesque and convenient hotel in all of Grenada. On a recent visit to Nicaragua with friends, we stumbled upon La Gran Francia, as it is located right off of the main plaza in Grenada. Stepping into La Gran Francia was like walking into a period piece film--- every stone and piece of furniture has been lovingly restored to its original, colonial splendor. If you are interested in history and architecture, then this is the place for you. I was lucky enough to sit down for a drink with the owner and he explained to me that La Gran Francia is the oldest surviving building in Grenada. In fact, he informed me that the bar of the hotel used to serve as a jail during the reign of William Walker. Every where you walk there are glimpses into the past. However, the hotel has been carefully restored and our stay was full of modern comforts and amenities.
Perhaps my favorite part of my stay at La Gran Francia was enjoying drinks on the wrap-around balcony that overlooks the main plaza with stunning views of the city's architectural gems. I felt completely taken care of by the staff. Everyone at the hotel was extremely friendly and helped me to plan a wonderful itinerary of activities and adventures.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We wanted to stay at another hotel based on our prior readings, but as we were passing this beautiful hotel, we just decided we wanted to stay there. Beautiful building, friendly staff, right next to the main plaza, good A/C!:)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 20, 2009

The rooms are air conditioned with private baths. Colonial Nicaragua and only 35 minutes from Managua to Granada. If you have a late arriving flight or an early departing flight, it is much better to overnight in Granada than Managua. The hotel is central on the main park and across from the cathedral. Out the front door and to the right and a ten minute car ride is the base of Mombacho volcano and tours to the top for nature hikes are readily available. The view is incredible and it is a live volcano, complete with steam holes in the canopy.
The staff speaks english, are incredibly accomodating and the hotel restaurant, just out the front door in a separate building, has a fantastic balcony overlooking the square. We enjoyed the view of two big festivals above the street on the balcony in August of 2009, even though I was at another property experimenting with other hotels. Room rates are great also. Balcony rooms on the street or more quiet rooms on the back, all clean, safe and well maintained with colonial furniture for a true colonial Nicaraguan feel. No spa and I never asked about any arrangement but it was not a spa kind of trip.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
new york
Reviewed March 31, 2009

For Central America standards this is a classy hotel. It is v centrally located in the main square & has a restaurant & bar with a balcony overlooking the square. Staff were v friendly & breakfast was good with seating around a small lush courtyard. Pool is small but nice to have. Rooms were nice -only downside was poor showers but we do get spoilt in the US with our showers. I would def. stay there again. As a aside a few blocks away was a wonderful Thai restaurant called El Tercer Ojo (it's a couple of blocks away from the row of restaurants).

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2009

Very centrally located, just 30 second walk to the central park. Restored mansion that is in good shape. Two floors. A nice looking place with a large pool in the main area. Double occupancy on the ground floor at $100 plus tax.

Decent size room with high ceiling, individual a/c and ceiling fan. Fairly large size TV. Plumbing worked well although could have used better light by the sink and mirror. Comfortable king sized bed. Clean. Our room in the rear was very quiet but with no view. There was a decorative terrace.

Staff was very accommodating when we asked for a restaurant booking in Granada and a hotel booking on Isla Ometepe. They pre-arranged airport pickup when we arrived in Managua for less money than Paxeos Travel Agency (we paid the hotel $30 total for two people).

Beware of a “propina” charge on the room bill. It came out to $30 for 5 days, as a way of tipping the entire staff. It was not mentioned anywhere beforehand. I contested that when I returned home and it was removed with an apology.

Complimentary breakfast is held across the street in a nice garden but was ordinary, a disappointment, except for the pancakes and bacon. The juices were abysmal. The fruit cocktail had no taste. The coffee was weak. Dinner, which we had once at their a/c upstairs establishment, was only half successful. My steak was well prepared and tasty, although the mashed potatoes were tepid, for about $12. The coffee flan was superb, but the hot coffee was again weak. My wife’s pomodoro pasta was adequate but suffered dearly from lack of balance of ingredients, for $8. Service was just okay. Overall price was right, though: $40 total for steak, pasta, 2 or 3 drinks, dessert, coffee and service, to eat at one of the best places in town. However, the best place, in my experience, is El Saquan for the steak.

Overall score: A-.