“La Gran Francia”

La Gran Francia Hotel y Restaurante
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Very nice hotel though I found it to be overrated. The amenities are very good and the decor is beautiful! What I didn't enjoy was that you had to walk out of the hotel to find the dining room for breakfast. Also, the location is two blocks from the main plaza and the nightlife.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank aaalfaro
LigiaMV, Owner at La Gran Francia Hotel y Restaurante, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Than you so much for taking the time to review our property, aaalfaro. It is only with frank feedback from our valued guests that we can improve our services to better serve you. Unfortunately, because La Gran Francia is housed in an historial landmark and architectural patrimony of the city of Granada, when we were restoring it to turn it into a hotel and restaurant, we had to overcome certain logistical obstacles in order to not impact the architectural integrity of the property. That's why our rooms are housed in a different building from our restaurant, but it's housed just across a narrow, seldom trafficked street. Our centric location also makes our proximity to the main square (which can be a little noisy sometimes) inevitable. Thanks again for your frank review. We hope you enjoyed our delicious complimentary breakfast even though you had to cross the street to get to it. Happy Travels!

There are newer reviews for La Gran Francia Hotel y Restaurante

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Of all the hotels I've been to, none matched the style and boutique-y feel of this one. I suspect the designers had a discerning eye; everything about the hotel seemed carefully selected to give a classic and colonial look. The arrangement of the tiles, wood furnishing, wall textures, art work and other decorative elements almost suggests that a curator was at work here.

But it's not without your modern amenities—the room was very large, air conditioning stayed cool, and like any hotel, you'll find your usual hair/skin/shower products with hair dryer and magnified cosmetic mirror. The pool was small, but rightfully sized to beautifully complement the courtyard, and in this Nica heat, a quick cool-off in style.

I haven't had an opportunity to try the breakfast, but the fish I had for dinner was fresh and delicious, with a tasty complement of rice/beans and plantains. The fish and plantains were fried, but didn't leave me feeling greasy and unhealthy. The beverages were standard, but exceptionally made. My go-to drinks are almost always whiskey, scotch or beer, and yet I found myself enjoying cocktails and straight rum that night.

After spending a week all over western Nicaragua, the hotel was the best ending to an already amazing trip. Without question, this won't be my last visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank supafobb
Reviewed July 29, 2012

What a beautiful place. This was definitely a gem, and worth the stay. I was only able to stay here for one night on this trip, however the next time I go down to Nicaragua I will definitely spend some more time here. Comfy bed, everything was clean, great AC, and really cool style all around. The food was out of this world. I had several appetizers in the restaurant and was blown away immediately. Then the main course came - holy cow. I could easily turn into a fat guy here. I also have to say that of all the places on our little tour of this country, this place served the most proper drinks.

Quick version - stay here, you will not be let down.

Room Tip: I saw a couple of the rooms, they all looked nice. We were given a room with 2 double beds instead o...
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The hotel and restaurant have a museum essence to them as you take in the architecture, art collection, and overall Nica atmosphere. We spent only a short time in Granada and with all that was offered through the hotel, I wish we could have planned more time here.

Our room was huge (comparable to the entirety of my NYC apartment) and the bed was...well, it was the hard to pull myself out of it in the morning kind of comfortable. Free wifi, a huge closet to match the room size, and nordic-like air conditioning were a plus!

As much as I would have loved hanging out with drinks poolside in the atrium, it was impossible to pass up on the kayaking, boating excursion, walking tour of Granada, and zip lining through a cloud forest. All of which was conveniently set up for us through the concierge. The walking tour also avoided avoided the pesky tourist trap-y locations.

As for the food- eat it. It's good. Not staying at the hotel is a mistake. Not eating at the restaurant is a tragedy. The local fish (which name is inconveniently forgotten) is lightly battered and cooked to delicious, melt in your mouth, I want to fly back to eat it again, perfection. The servers magically appeared when we needed anything, and didn't hover.

Experience was excellent, and is highly recommended!

Room Tip: As per concierge rooms on the second floor in the back are quieter; although, this means you'll...
1  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed July 26, 2012

You will enjoy this hotel with the balcony over the street, the huge rooms with big closets and large elegant bathroom, the art along the walls, and the restaurant right across the street that conveniently serves you breakfast. Ok, the breakfast needed help. But it came with the room, so it got us started. It wasn't great. But the space was! In a courtyard garden, colonial and artistic. It has a great outdoor seating area upstairs where you can overlook the street intersection, loads of fun. But you can go there regardless of whether you are staying in the hotel. The hotel had nice, firm mattresses and great sheets, excellent towels and was generally just lovely. The fancy hotels on the square just didn't have the same appeal at all.

Room Tip: Take a colonial room with a balcony!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank aikidomonkey
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Just came home from a trip to Nicaragua. Unfortunately we only got to stay here for one night. The rooms are adorable and very comfortable. The food was the best that I ate on my entire trip. Everything that was put in front of me I ate (and I didn't do that the entire trip). The staff was also extremely quick, efficient and nice. They also make great drinks!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2012

3 points people should know about Granada Nicaragua:

Good for busman's holiday (under 1000---miles to travel, dollars needed)

3rd World expectations, with great Spanish Colonial architecture

Country has little prejudices, particularly of race. They have greater worries, such as famine, earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanoes, and filthy politics.

3 favorite sights/moments of trip

Friendly, smiles along with eagerness to help, chatter

Spanish 17th c. Colonial architecture

The smell of El Zaguan restaurant's sizzling steaks ( and we are not a big carnivores)

3 unfavorable sights/moments

Alone at night in the central park---mugging could take place, and I was warned!

Latino sloppiness--plastic bag throw a-ways

Temperature--hot in noontime sun

Cost:

Airfare for Rita and I as airline employees. Miami to Managua roundtrip coach via Houston $60.00 each in coach, $230 each in First

class

Hotel: 3 star ( for info, none are higher here) $100 double per night at Hotel La Gran Francia. Other comparable were same.

Food: anything we wanted--under $100 a day. Breakfast included in above hotel
Beverages: wine and beer and bottled water about $50 a day

Entertainment: Sightseeing buggy ride $15:00 per hour's ride ($5.00 for tip to driver to and horses)

Boat ride on Lake Nicaragua (a must) $50.00 for two hours including transfers from hotel. ($10.00 tips)

Souvenirs: One crocodile leather belt ($20) for Larry

One marble? sculpture of "Fat Nude Nicaraguan Chic" on stomach 11"long x 5"wide x 7" tall ($45:00)

Transportation: $120, including tips. Long Haul taxi to and from airport (30 kilometers) $60.00 each way

Tips/gratuities: Clerks, Bellmen, breakfast waiter staff, front desk-concierge (which we used a lot): $30.00

Many locals travel here to go to the lake. Also a lot of other central Americans from Costa Rica, San Salvador and Honduras
Best to reserve hotel and restaurant El Zaguan

A real pleasant holiday close to home, but with mucho foreign flavor. Am looking at Belize in a couple of weeks. Also would like to take a bus from Managua to Tegucigalpa on to Belize or San Salvador!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are the same. Street balcony rooms are even quiet