“A unique experience”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe of Smiles is staffed by deaf staff
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My wife and I went there for lunch. We had never before been to a restaurant run by and for deaf-mutes. Basic sign language expressions appropriate to a restaurant are provided, making it easy to place our order. The waitress was helpful, too.
We found it to be a wonderful, inspiring experience, especially knowing that the income earned by this restaurant goes not only to those who work there but also to disaster victims elsewhere in the world (for example, most recently, victims of an earthquake in the Philippines).

Reviewed January 15, 2014

One of my favorite stops in Granada. It is an amazing cafe with delicious drinks and a staff that is happy to serve you! Although we can only communicate to the staff through sign language I felt they were very attentive, eager to communicate with me, and wanted to teach me different signs. This is truly one of warmest, friendliest cafes in the world. The owner, Antonio, is an incredible man with a passion that is helping so many peoples lives and I love supporting his cause. Also seeing the hammocks being made was a real treat. This place is a must see!

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

We visited here for a banana smoothie. Service was great and the smoothie also. Great cause. Loved the giant hammock.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

This little cafe, located just off the Mercado Municipal right by the Iglesia de La Merced, is a really good spot for lunch. The menu is fairly limited, but they have a large selection of different drinks and the food they do have is quite good. Also, the restaurant is a not for profit business run to benefit a local school for the deaf. The waitstaff are all deaf and you communicate via pointing and sign language (they give you a card with signs on it). The waitress I had was very sweet and clearly appreciated the effort I put in to sign. Also, the steak burrito I had was really tasty. As this is Nicaragua, the prices are low. Also, the restaurant is attached to a store that sells hammocks weaves by blind people. Stop here for a meal, you won't regret the experience.

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

A good reason and place to enjoy a meal. The staff is attentive and works hard to meet your needs. Try the banana pancakes... Yummy mm