“Great Hostel”

Ranked #5 of 64 Granada B&B and Inns
Brussels, Belgium
“Great Hostel”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I've staid 2 days in Granada and I booked a bed in a dorms in Hostal El Momento !
This is a great Hostel with all the facilities you need ! The place is very clean and comfortable ! The staff remains available to help you ! it was really nice to stay there !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I arrived after a very long bus journey from San Jose, Costa Rica. When I walked through the front door I was greeted by Ruth, a lovely lady who really made me feel welcome. She showed me around and even carried my bag to the dorm! The sheets on my bed smelled like lavender and the whole place just oozed tranquility. I couldn't have been happier with my choice of hostel. A real gem in the beautiful crown of Granada :D

berkeley, ca
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I can't say I have too much experience to compare to, but so far this is one of the best hostels I have had the pleasure to stay at. Things are really clean, the staff are friendly, wifi available, beds are great, lockers available in the dorms, etc. I especially like the courtyard. It's a nice place to relax, and its openness really invites meeting people. Location-wise, it's just 1 block from the main square... an easy walk which is helpful, especially at night where most of the walk back from the square is brightly lit except maybe the final 100 feet once you turn onto the calle de besos.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I'm staying here now and I have to say that this has been possibly the best sleep of my trip. Large, firm beds that let you stretch out. Very nice. A beautiful courtyard with a nice bar and a great seating area. The staff have been very friendly so far. One bit of criticism, they could use more bathroom. If you see it's available, grab it because it may not be available a moment later.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for your review and we are extremely happy that you have been enjoying your stay with us and the staff have made your stay welcome.
We knew making the courtyard our central point for everyone to enjoy would be important for the guests as are good mattresses.
Apart from the bathrooms in the private rooms we currently have 1 bathroom to every 3-4 persons depending on occupancy, to improve on that we would have to build 4 more bathrooms and we would love to do that but there is the problem of space.
I do hope that you were informed we had 3 more bathrooms at the back of the courtyard that are not used so much and only busy for maybe 1 hour in the mornings.
Thank you again for staying with us and taking the time out to write a nice review.
Manningtree, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Great food, Chris is fantastic and him and the staff are so helpful. Clean rooms and spotless bathrooms. Plus a garden in the middle creating a little oasis that had hummingbirds when we were there. Oh and don't forget the hammocks especially the double one which was divine.
Thank you and if we are ever back in Granada we will definitely be staying there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much Kate for your review it was nice to have you here at the hostel, we are happy that you enjoyed the food, we try to offer something a little different than the usual fair.
Yes we do tend to get some hummingbirds everyday at some point to make a visit , would love to have some more visit, great for bird lovers.
Hope you get to visit us again in the near future.
HEM
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was angered by how my father and I were treated by the owner.

We have been travelling throughout Central America for months and this is the first place where we were made to feel uncomfortable for being different from "tourists." This is no travellers' hostel, this is a tourist hotel. People go there to buy food from the cafe, go on tours, stay for a night, and leave. We are travellers, we make our own coffee, cook our own meals, wash our own clothes, and work on our computers researching mountains to hike and I for one am taking classes online, so yes I will be at a table for a few hours using web access, taking up no more space than I need. If you don't like it, don't offer WiFi.

Instead, you keep taking our clothes off the line and throwing them on deck chairs that nobody uses. You snarl at us every time we are heating water for coffee because we might be starting a trend to not order $1 black coffees from the cafe. You snarl even more when we bring in a delicious rotisserie chicken from the supermarket because others ask us where we got it. We're not alcoholic frat boys so we don't drink from the bar. We try to watch a movie and you people in staff can't take your conversations elsewhere, so we turn the volume up to hear it. The TV is right next to the door to the street, so all the unmuffled vehicles drown out the sound and we turn the volume up more. You wonder why the TV is turned up so high? Reorganize your common room or don't offer a TV that nobody can hear.

The kitchen is smaller than the dorm bathroom. There is no microwave, no toaster, no coffee maker, no blender, almost nothing there except a gas stove that you deliberately set to release very little gas so it takes forever to cook. Why? So people would buy from the cafe.

To take the cake and top off this bad review, you treated both of us with a final dose of inexcusable disrespect. My father got up at 0600 to make coffee and oatmeal and go scout Volcan Masaya. The minute he clicked the stove, out comes you, the owner, ranting about "noise" and "disrespect to guests." Disrespectful behavior? Boiling water? You compare us clicking the stove a few times (you turned the gas to low pressure and now it takes several attempts for the spark to ignite the gas) to the moron frat boys from England who came in at 0300 a few weeks ago and literally sprayed feces all over the toilet in the bathroom, walked through it and traipsed through the dorm, and continued chatting and drunkenly disorder for another 45 minutes. HOW DARE YOU COMPARE US TO THEM AND TELL US WE ARE "DISRESPECTFUL" TO GUESTS, IT IS YOU TREATED US WITH DISRESPECT!

We are at another hostel in Granada and are very happy here. They actually want us here, have a real kitchen, are friendly and helpful, and are closer to central park and the grocery store even than you. Rename your hostel "HOTEL MOMENTO" and stop pretending.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank ConfederateSoldier
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Anyone reading reviews here is probably interested in staying in Granada and looking for a hostel/hotel for their stay.
So after 72 other reviews and 69 of them being very complimentary why all of a sudden have we received such an awful one,I hope below explains why this Father and Son have written what they did.
The reviewer is trying to tell us and you that we should not call ourselves a Hostel but a Hotel, the definition of a hostel being a ‘supervised lodging place for travelers’.

The reviewer and his father did not make a reservation through us or through a third party website, they came in off the street and checked the place out, looked at the dorm, the kitchen,common area and asked if we had internet etc. So there was no surprises and they could see exactly what we have and what they would expect.
At no point did we or do any of the following:-
Hidden charges,
Offer WIFI then tell guests they cannot use it,
Offer a common area (with over 30 seats) and tell guests they can only use it for a certain amount of time,
Offer table and chairs and tell guests this is not for outside food or drink,
Offer a guest kitchen and tell guests they cannot boil water
Have a gas stove and tamper with it so the guests will only buy food from us.
Offer a guest kitchen and not want guests to use it.
Tell guests when they enter that we have a kitchen with blenders,coffee makers etc when we do not.

We do have notices to let guests know :-
What time the guest kitchen is open,
When to use the washing machine and hang clothes (so the hostel can do the bed sheets for the guests)
We ask guests to be respectful of other guests after 10.30pm.

The Father and Son must have really disliked us, after staying with us for over a week they came back for a second time, we did not turn them away but welcomed them back and they stayed for another week of so, until things turned ugly.

The Father had asked me personally what time the kitchen is open with which I responded 6.30-7am but if you need to take something from the fridge earlier it is not a problem. Then the morning in question he was in the kitchen at 5.20am, I was awoken and explained that the kitchen was not open.
Later on in the morning they asked to leave, I spoke with Father with no voices raised and explained that the kitchen is next to the guest rooms and it was too early for it to be open. I explained to the father that all I am asking is guests respect each other and the hostel like on a previous occasion when he had complained about 2 guests in the dorm room for being drunk and talking, I had spoken to them after and asked them to please respect the other guests.
I actually apologized to other guests in the dorm that morning but they had not heard anything during the night ???
This is were the Son has written that I was comparing them to some drunk guests when in fact I was giving him another example as it would be more disrespectful from us if we do not take any action and we let guests disturb others.

On their way out of leaving the hostel they handed the receptionist a note, it read that they would be setting up a website to try and get us shut down, they had a list of other websites and hostels/hotels they had done this with previously, over 20 of them on the list.
One website I did go to explained that they were banned from all hostels/hotels in Playa del Carmen in Mexico for there harassment of their establishments.
We then received upto 4 email from them of which I only read the first few words and deleted as they were threatening to stop the business.

As you may have read here the son had the perception that I was snarling at them every-time they brought in food, boiled water, used the WIFI or sat at a table. I can now understand the Sons paranoia of me doing this when they have had so many issues with other hostels/hotels in other countries.
As I wrote it was a perception only by the reviewer and he himself has not written about any conversations that took place between us, only what was on his mind.
If his perceptions were indeed true then why is he the first to make comments on this in over year since we have been open.
Myself or my staff had no problems with them the time they were here as they did keep themselves to themselves, it was in fact later that I learned other guests who had problems with them and the following comments I received were:-
One female guest felt uncomfortable for reasons I cannot explain here,
3 Guests did not like that the confederate flag was hanging from the sons bed,
Another guest did not like the attitude of the way the father spoke to me,
1 Guest felt it was a disrespectful of the son to be using his computer into the early hours in the dorm.

A side note:- (We are more than happy to make alternative arrangements for guests and recently had a prepared breakfast ready for a guest who was leaving at 5am in the morning or someone needs hot water, not a problem at all, please ask.)

So going back to the first point, should we call ourselves a Hostel, anyone booking with us online can see our prices as they can when they come off the street. Many guests research or walk around the city checking out other accommodation.
We continually have many guests tell us they prefer to be with us for what we offer and for the price we offer. My response is always the same, we are little more expensive thansomet but not all hostels in town,but cheaper than the hotels.
Our main objective when we opened this hostel was to offer the guest a little more than other hostels in town, we would situate ourselves in-between the hostels and the hotels , something that is not offered in Granada.
We did that by investing in good mattresses, offering iPads free to use,a menu that is different that you would get in most of the country with prices cheaper than other tourist restaurants and a comfortable common area for all to use with beautifully locally made furniture.
This with the usual free wifi,guest kitchen, free local phone calls,bikes for rent,free cable tv and dvd’s etc.
The reviewer here says we are not a travelers hostel and guests stay for 1 night only and leave. We actually have a 2 week maximum stay as we have so many guests that want to stay for long periods. We have guests that are travelling around the world and are happy to find somewhere they feel safe and comfortable and at a price they say is well worth it.

The Father and Son did not have a problem with the hostel, they were here twice for over 2 weeks, they had a problem with our one small policy and like many other hostels/hotels they have set up websites and written about, we crossed their path and did not bow to what they wanted and how they wanted it there and then when in truth they could have solved this problem the night before and spoke to me.
We are disappointed that we had guests that left in this manner but my feeling is that we have to take all guests into consideration and if that means upsetting 1 to keep the rest happy then unfortunately we have to take this route, especially when you realise it does no matter what you do it is not enough.

“When you have got an elephant by the hind leg, and he is trying to run away, it's best to let him run.”
-Abraham Lincoln
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed December 1, 2012

El Momento is a great place to stay and relax in Granada. The location is right above the park. You will meet interesting and respectful travelers of all ages. Lockers with keys and towels are provided with deposit. The British owner Chris is fantastic. He works onsite, is usually available for questions and support, and if not his staff is wonderfully helpful. The main thing to know before making a booking is that quiet hours are enforced after 10:30 so everyone can sleep. No complaints here. I spent 3 nights in a great qualiy dorm bunk bed and had a great experience. Then when I came back through on my way to the airport Chris let me while away the afternoon in comfort before I had to get to Managua for my flight. He also helped me in a pinch change some dollars into the last few cordobas I would need to get home. You won't find a more hospitable place for the price anywhere. It's the only place I will stay on future trips to Granada and feels like a home away from home during my Nica travels.

Room Tip: Book early during the high season, at least a few days ahead. The hostel fills up nearly every night...