“Best Hostel Ever!”

Ranked #7 of 63 Granada B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Best Hostel Ever!”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed at Hostal El Momento for about 10 days and my stay could not have been better.

It's the only hostal I found in Nicaragua that actually provides ACTUAL (and very comfortable!!) matresses for their beds. The dorm room is HUGE. You have an ambundance of space to put your bag and belongings, as well as being provided with a secure locker for your valuables. What's more, because the room is so big it's very breezey and a good escape from Granada's heat, however if you're still hot every bed has it's own individual fan to cool you down a bit more!

The bathroom was awesome. It reminded me of a massive roman bathroom where the shower area is huge (3x3m) and then you have another huge separate area for the basin/toilet. And ofcourse it's always kept clean.

The staff are great! Extremely friendly, helpful and also like to joke around which gives the hostel a very communal/easy-going atmosphere that you can relax in. Wanna crank up the relaxment? Well some hammocks are thrown in there too.

Finally, you HAVE to try Chris's food. It is AMAZING! I'm one for trying different restaurants/eateries when I'm in a different city however I ate here 10 times just trying the different dishes because the food was so good. Try the Jerk or Fish burgers, or the Thai curry - AWESOME!

If you're tossing up between this and Oasis - Go here. Why? Because Oasis is set in the middle of a crazy market place where there are touts & just a lot of hassel. You don't want to be walking back through this area late at night after a few drinks at La Calzada. Whereas El Momento is closer to La Calzada and set on a really nice, quiet (and more importantly safe) street.

Cheers! Give it a go! You won't be disappointed.
Marc

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thank you Marc for writing a wonderful review, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us multiple times.
We have tried to keep the dorm as cool as we can over the past few months but it has been difficult due to there being mutiple people in there so it was good to hear that it was not too hot for you, I think it really depends on the person,time of year and what you are used to.
We will though remodel the dorm and buy 2 industrial fans for the summer months.
We do pride ourselves on helping everyone and yes we do like to joke with those guests that don't mind.
Our restaurant does very well considering we are a smaller hostel but your comments will help us more
Safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is great because: ideal location, great food, wonderful atmosphere and fabulous owner, Chris. He was so accommodating when we needed a room (also did the same for others during our stay). Because we needed a room and there were none, the spa room with 2 single beds was converted into a bedroom closed in by a wall and white flowing curtains on the other 3 sides. Picture yourself opening the curtain in the morning and walking into the open garden. We enjoyed it so much that when a private room came available a few days later, we opted for staying put. We had a locker for our valuables and large fluffy towels--all with a refundable deposit. Amil who worked the night shift deserves extra kudoos for helping us. A completely safe location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
It was nice of you to spend time in writing a review for us and have not forgotten us even though it was a few weeks ago. Emir and I are very grateful for your comments and were more than happy to help you out.
The Spa area which we have open when its not rainy season has become very popular and may a guest loves spending time in this area as it too has security lockers like the dorm.
We hope you enjoyed the rest of the country.
Take care
Chris.Maria and staff
Sidney, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was a great place to stay and an easy place to extend your itinerary at. I came for a couple nights and ended up staying a week. It is a block from the main square on the quiet side. Which is perfect. You can go out all night or stay in all night and always have a quiet place to rest. The food was exceptional and the staff is very helpful in everywhere. Rooms are clean and spacious and the dorms are full of wonderful people.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for response and happy that you enjoyed your stay, we would hope that you can return the next time your visit Granada, safe travels.
Weslaco, Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This place was a great stay while just spending one night in Nicaragua. One of the employees, Roberto, was extremely helpful and patient when providing advice for a quick, one day, all-encompassing tour of the city. The location is awesome, one block from the Parque Central and a half block from the bank. The night life was also easy to figure out with a crew from the hostel. I stayed in a non-AC dorm and slept great with the fans. Overall, this place was fantastic.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
We really appreciate you spending time to write a review after only 1 night, Roberto is aware of your comment and he too appreciates your review.
We pride ourselves on trying to help the guest and if we do not know the answer then we try to find out for the next time.
Sidney, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Really liked this place, I stayed 5 days. The decor and the ambience is very lovely and my room was very clean. The restaurant had excellent and affordable food (but the beer could've been a bit colder, lol). The only complaint would've been the other guests (nothing the hostel could've been in control or responsible for), stayed 5 nights and only one smiled at me and only one spoke to me and being a very open, friendly and polite person, I found it quite bizarre. I would've actually checked out a different establishment bcs of it, but the amazingly lovely, efficient, very friendly and helpful staff mOre than made up for the snotty guests, so I stayed.

But on a side note; pls remember its a very small world. A couple of weeks later I was at my favourite watering hole/hostel in Costa Rica where the staff adores me, (my secret to great relations with staff is treating them like appreciated and respected people and not like they're servants, bcs they're not) and lo and behold the snotty, unfriendly creatures were now staying there!. I had already told the staff/friends in Costa Rica (I had already made friends with them before I left for Nicaragua) about the 'precious creatures' I encountered in Granada and what a rude bunch of people they were. So once I pointed out they were the same ones from Granada, the staff/friends in Costa Rica immediately didn't care about 'serving' them anymore and basically didn't for the rest of their stay. I hope at least one of them was aware of what happened and realized if you want friendly, you got to be friendly, if you want to be respected, you got to give respect, its that simple.

1 Thank Cryss g
Thank you for taking the time to write a review but sorry that you were here and did not get to mix with the other guests. Like you said we have no control over the personalty of the guest that comes in.
Sometimes we can have 50 guests enter the hostel in 3 days and they do not spend much time here and other times we have guests that stay 5-10 days and get to know one another spending time in the bars and tours together.
We get many great comments on the staff and this is very important for us as we are very aware that it is not always the case when visiting a high class hotel or hostel.
Thank you again and glad you enjoyed most of your time with us.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed at El Momento four five nights in March and found it to be excellent. It's in a perfect location, is reasonably secure, and has the requisite central courtyard so common (and awesome) in Nicaragua. The owner Chris was pleasant and helpful, and the rest of the staff was welcoming. I'd tell friends to stay here.

Room Tip: I stayed in the dorm, which had massive (16 ft?) ceilings and was perfectly comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Patrick N
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Pros: Great location, very helpful and knowledgable staff, clean.
Cons: Only two bathrooms for the rooms with shared bathrooms and the droms, owner not friendly.
Overall: Great deal (once again, great location)

Room Tip: I am in room 3. It is a great deal but it is IN the kitchen (not exaggerating).
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BradyBraun
, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about the hostel, I was sad to hear that I left a bad impression on you as I did not really see you in the day and a half you spent here, just very quickly in passing but I do remember pointing out the other bathroom to you one morning.
Regarding the bathrooms the dorm does actually have another bathroom too but if that is busy the guests sometimes come over and use the ones in the garden area.
We are building another bathroom too in slow season which will mean 3 bathrooms for the 3 privates with shared bathrooms. We are always looking to expand and listen to all our guests complaints whether it is personal or regarding the hostel.
Enjoy the rest of your stay in the country and thank you.