“Learned a lot - while having a great time!”

Casa Nica Spanish School
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Casa Nica Spanish, your Spanish language school in Granada, Nicaragua. We are a cooperative of women that has been teaching Spanish since 1998. We tailor Spanish classes according to your skill level and interests, and we make sure that you have a lot of fun while meeting people and getting to know our community through fabulous afternoon activities. We can also provide home-stay accomodations which will further enhance your learning experience while giving you the opportunity to make friends with a local family. And, if you are interested volunteering, we can connect you with our favorite local organizations that do amazing things to improve our community.
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I studied at Casa Nica for one week in January 2014, and it was the perfect start of my stay in Nicaragu. My teacher, Marlon, was able to determine my level of Spanish really quick, and in addition he made if fun even learning the past tenses that I struggled a lot with. He could always make me laugh and concentrate, just when I thought I wanted to give up. I also had an amazing host family, which happened to be the family of Vanesa, the owner of the school. My room was great, the food was varied and tasty, and the family was so open and patient although I really struggled with my Spanish.

I also have to say that one reason to choose this school, is Vanesa herself. She is really positive and sees a solution to any problem. She seems to know everybody in town, and is actively engaged helping the local community. Luckily, I was also able to help out through the volunteering options offered at school.

I know there are a lot of schools in Granada to choose from, but I can just promise you that you won't regret if you choose Casa Nica. I wish I could have studying at this school for a longer time, and hope I will be able to return to do that one day. Oh, and yes, they do have wifi;)

1  Thank ragamdam

Reviewed January 12, 2014

I was in Granada during the Christmas week. First of all, Nicaragua is considered one of the safest countries in Central America, not to mention it is much cheaper and less touristy than Costa Rica, where I saw lots of U.S. fast food restaurants everywhere. Granada is not "contaminated" by the American capitalism, and I hope it will not be like Costa Rica.

I chose a five-day course, and studied 4 hours in the morning, and participated field trips in the afternoon, except for the Christmas day, when the school was closed. Well, the schools wasn't actually "closed"! All of us students were invited to the school director's Christmas party on evening of the 24th, and we enjoyed the Nicaraguan style Christmas party, which was to drink lots of cervezas and dance forever. We had truly wonderful time with Vanesa's family and her neighbors and amigos. Vanesa, the director of the school, is so personable. She is a natural ambassador, making every student feel important and special. On the Christmas day after recovering from the party, the teachers invited us to go to Lake Nicaragua. There was so much to do every day.

In addition to all the fun stuff, I had a great experience with the school program. I was a total beginner, but my teacher was so patient with me. She made sure that there were always enjoyable elements in the learning process. In such a relaxed environment, I was able to absorb so much Spanish, and I am now determined to learn the language further.

The school mostly offers one-to-one sessions. So, you get 100% of your teacher's attention. They can accommodate you no matter what your Spanish proficiency level is. And, the teachers are so qualified. They really know how to encourage and motivate the students. And, it is so reasonably priced!!!!!

I chose to stay with a host family, which happened to be located three buildings away from the school. I had my own bedroom and bathroom. And my host papa Orlando religiously made three meals a day for me. By the third day, I even started feeling attached to his family. Orlando was the one often times driving his pick-up truck to take us to the field trips in the afternoon.

The reason why this school is such a wonderful place is because of Vanesa and her teachers, and the affectionate people that support this school. The school is so personable. It will make you feel that you are treated as a family member, even if you are in school for a week or two weeks, or even shorter. This is a place that you want to come back, because of the people in the school and the host family and other folks that I shared my memories with. THERE IS A LOT OF LOVE IN THIS SCHOOL Lots of love for everyone no matter how good or bad your Spanish is! I was traveling alone, and the school had mostly other independently traveling students from different parts of the world, and we naturally had a lot in common.

Because of this school, Nicaragua ranks among my most favorite countries out of over 40 countries I have visited in my life.

2  Thank Brunonyc
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I had one week of classes in December 2013 in which I had two different teachers. Both of them were great teachers and also fun people to hang out with. The activities in the afternoon are a great way to get to know Granada and its surroundings.

My homestay was with the owner of the school Vanesa and her family. This was really nice and the food was great. I also spent christmas with them, which was a great experience with a lot of eating, drinking and dancing with the whole family.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Casa Nica Spanish School is one of many in Grenada, I couldn't have been more pleased with my experience. We were very fortunate in our teacher, a lovely woman named Silvia who teaches at the school In between her travels. The school itself is small and informal. we took the 20 hour week, We had 4 hours per day with our instructor who worked with us from our staring points. My boyfriend had done some Rosetta Stone and I had a more informal grasp of conversation and pronunciation but we both needed a lot of help.I feel so much more effective in my Spanish conversation now. This was the missing piece I have been needing for years. We spent our mornings from 8 to noon and then had our afternoons to explore the city of Grenada, Our B&B, Casa Silas, was conveniently located 5 blocks from the school! I enjoyed listening to other students as they progressed around us. I highly recommend Casa Nica Spanish School

1  Thank luckyjtaos
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is a small school about 3 blocks from the plaza. I wanted only a few hours of conversation since I have a basic knowledge of Spanish. Carla, the owner, was mi profesora. Not only did she have an intensive knowledge of the nuances of the language but also she was a stimulating conversationalist. Don't expect fancy classrooms and an i Pad at every satin; it's a bare bones place, but do expect friendly, competent instructors and staff and a great tuition rate ($6/hour).