“Unprofessional and Rude. Avoid- Be Warned.”
Review of Los Patios Hotel

Los Patios Hotel
Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Nice looking boutique hotel but an emotionally dead and unprofessional staff. A pig with lipstick. Rude and lacking any sense of customer service. Issue I have with smaller foreigner owned hotels, in developing countries is that the "owner" often still sees you as an intruder and not a "guest." Perhaps if the owners were nationals and less opportunistic Nordic then maybe they might be able to be less rigid, angry, and inject more "soul" into their establishment. Hotel worth avoiding as its reminds me of staying with the "in-laws." Simple requests were frowned at and flipped to appear as if it's your fault for having any type of standards. They also threatened to call the police on me over a $50 dispute. Really? You're that tacky? His name was: Max. Unbelievable how rude this person could be.

Internet is unstable, unreliable, and very 2001. Water was out first morning of my stay. Had to go to reception wrapped in a towel. Attention would have been informing the guests of a water issue. Not allowing them to wake up and do their business and have to go to the reception in a towel asking for water. Yuck. Bed sheets were filthy and not changed (see photo). When I showed the front desk, only excuses were provided. Pool had bodily fluids floating at the top. Looked like saliva or worse. When pointed out to the reception management was more frustrated at the fact of cleaning the fluid than the incident itself. Not looking for any more areas of disgust and NO attempt to clean the pool further. Ok pool but not if you get infected from lack of care. Construction at 7:30AM., Asked for a second towel, which was removed by housekeeping and had to ask twice for a replacement. When it was finally given, it smelled like an old gym towel. Pointed it out by asking for a fresh one- it was "my fault". Allowing me to walk away with a smelly towel. Service is getting another and not discussing the issue any further. Instead they had me keep the dirty towel. No water in the room for guests, no fans in food area so by the time they come to take your order you need another shower, no turn down service, no sign of "attention" or gratitude, no flowers in the room… NOTHING. Not even a nightstand next to the bed. Would cost extra? Exactly. It's as if you're inconveniencing them for even showing up. What this hotel lacks entirely is attention to the guest. They don't care. They don't want you just your money. They would truly prefer to rent the room to your wallet and avoid the guest all together if the could. So why be a guest at what's nothing more than a highly decorated "youth hostel" posing as a 3 star hotel?

Never an apology. Why? Because it's your fault for coming to "their house" and not staying in a real hotel. Why I avoided the spa and food here. No confidence in it being up to a higher level or the kitchen being clean for that matter. Look how they left the bed sheets and disregard public areas like the pool. And frankly, didn't want to spend money where its not appreciated.

To make matters worse they wanted to call the police on me. I said bring it on… call them now. My last night at the hotel after one of my guests leaves, I am approached by reception to inform me that they have a policy of charging $50 for anyone showing up as a visitor. Threatening me to call police if I didn't pay up. On the website it notes, $50 "per additional person", but that clearly pertains to two staying and arriving at the hotel at the same time, versus a friend or colleague coming to see you. I had invited friends to come enjoy the hotel and relax outside of the noisy, polluted, and beggar filled tourist center. Should someone come meet you for business, for dinner, a chat, or for whatever personal reason they want a take of it. As if they were hotel pimps. Unsophisticated and desperate.

Is this is how they treat their guest on the last night? Aggressive and demanding money while threatening to call the police? A hotel trying to gouge the guest of any revenue possible. If the "owners" are incapable in providing service, training their staff, and maintaining a hotel to a certain standard then they need to go into another business that isn't service driven. Or at least don't misrepresent themselves on their website by stating, " Our goal is to give our guests a unique experience in a peaceful place" " It is a place where you can either stay lazy spending your whole day at the pool or you" Can what? Be threatened by management to call police over a petty dispute? Not so "peaceful" but definitely a "unique experience."

There's a review regarding Pure Nica spa on the same street and it epitomizes the attitude of Los Patios. As long as the "cashier" is ripping you off and not the owner then "all" good, after all who cares about the client?

As much as I wanted to enjoy this hotel, unfortunately the staff didn't impress and had me want to leave. Fortunately, I was leaving the next day and didn't have to deal with their indifference. Had it been any longer I would have checked out and put myself in a hotel closer to the town center and in a safer neighborhood. The area is impoverished, dangerous, and scattered with vagrants. Refer to photos they don't show you on their website right outside the hotel. Not recommended unless you are used to barrios and the inner city.

I work way to hard to spend my money and any establishment that doesn't seem to want it doesn't deserve my respect. Suggest trying other options in Granada and not wasting your time with a hotel that doesn't care about you. The fact is THEY simply don't care and there is no other way to put it. Should the hotel respond to this review, expect excuses and being defensive as that's all I had while staying there. STAY ELSEWHERE they don't want you here just your money. Hotel Los Patios was a most unpleasant welcome to Nicaragua. Making Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Panama, and anywhere else much more worthy of tourism.

Added: Was approached by reception this is what she said: "We don't want your kind here. You brought "boys" to your room for sex and we have a campaign against that." WOW! They thought my friends were prostitutes and I was her for sex trade. When I told them how dare they make that accusation, Management came to my room and said, "We want you the (vulgar curse word) out. You must get the (vulgar curse word) out and go right now." "My kind?" All in front of other guests. Sounds homophobic and discriminatory. If any of their accusations were true, it appears they are ok with having friends they assume are prostitutes as long as they get a $50. take. There you have it. Be warned.

Room Tip: Stay at other hotel. Avoid.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
17  Thank A M
LosPatiosgranada, Owner at Los Patios Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

I have read your review on Trip Advisor and I am sorry to hear about your experience at Hotel Los Patios. After reading your comments, I discussed the matter with each of my staff. We are a new hotel and I appreciate your feedback in the areas where we can improve. Our goal remains the same to provide a good service to our guests that they would have a positive experience at our hotel.

Apparently, we were having problems with our water pump the day of your stay and we could have handled the situation better.

It is interesting, though; that your experience was quite different from the other guests who stayed in Los Patios during the same days as you did, April 2-4th. Their comments can also be seen on Trip Advisor. They enjoyed a pleasant stay at Los Patios and had a good experience.

With reference to your pictures and comments on Granada and/or Nicaragua, in all fairness, please keep in mind that Nicaragua is the poorest country in Central America and is still developing. There are many beautiful places to visit here. You should put into context your negative comments about this country. Our neighborhood is made up of local people whom we know, as my husband and I and two children lived here for a couple of years before our home was converted into a boutique hotel. We were never scared or frightened in our surroundings. It is a shame that your focus is of the poor people here in Granada that cannot afford to repair their homes. Perhaps Nicaragua was not a good fit for you.

In any case, I do apologize for your experience in Hotel Los Patios. We will work on the areas that you commented on to improve.

Kind regards,
Los Patios Hotel
Ingeborg Winther
Owner

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Fantastic small boutique hotel in Granada. Wonderfully modern in design, with features including a giant chess board! 6 rooms, all with great air conditioning and fans, tv, large walk in shower. All very clean. You even get given a mobile phone to use whilst you stay, if you should need one! There's an open plan kitchen with an honesty system so you can help yourself to drinks all day. Breakfast is amazing - fruit, juice, coffee, cheese & fresh bread, pancakes with honey and lime (you must try them, they're so tasty), or eggs & bacon. Service is very friendly. Pool is most welcome to dive into and cool off, plenty of sofas, a day bed, and hammocks to chill out in. This is the perfect hotel for singles, couples and friends. The only small downside when we were there was that there was a family with two small boys staying, and its really not the place for kids to hang out as there isn't much for them to do. Not the hotel's fault at all.

There is one negative review on this site - please ignore it. We were staying there at the same time, and we witnessed the falling out between the guy and the management. Subsequently, he was asked to leave, and he did so ungraciously. Please don't be off put by the comments about dirty sheets or bathroom, as this certainly wasn't the case anywhere else in the hotel, and I think it's just a case of sour grapes.

We would highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for a fantastic, modern oasis that you love to come back to after exploring what Granada has offer.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jessw1000
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Excellent hotel. I loved the place. It was so beautiful.
I was here with my husband in just a standard room, but the room where perfect! The servicelevel was higher, than most of the places i have stayed and payed for a suite.

The room was very clean and the pool was to. So nice to get up in the morning and be able to go outside and take a swim in the water. The spa-area looked nice as weel, although i did not try it out.

If you want to get away to a peaceful hotel with great facilities and lovely serviceminded staff - this is the place!
Very romantic place to be with your partner and with your family as well i would imagine!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We just returned from a 4 night stay at Los Patios. We traveled with our 9 year old daughter and had a great time. We stayed in the balcony suite which was absolutely beautiful, spacious and had a lovely balcony with an amazing view over the tile roof tops of Granada and of the volcano in the distance.

The staff was wonderful and helpful in every way. Very welcoming and made us feel at home. In fact, we were the only guests there at the time so we did feel like this stunning hotel was our home for a few days!

Breakfast is delicious and served with style. We had a few snacks as well and those were good, too. We loved the open feel of the place and all of the different areas to sit and relax. The pool was a bonus for us as it was very hot while we were there. I was able to swim laps in it which was a nice way to get some exercise.

The location is a bit removed from the center of town. It's only 6 blocks or so but when it's 95 degrees outside those 6 blocks can seem long. But we got used to it and felt safe - even in the evenings. We weren't out late so I can't comment on that.

We took a few tours (Las Isletas, Lake Apoyo - which were both really fun and beautiful) and we did the workshop at the Chocolate Museum which was also worth doing.

If you're heading to Granada, I can't recommend this hotel highly enough - every detail is so beautifully thought out and just gorgeous. We travel a lot and I would put this hotel at the top of my list of beautiful places I've stayed.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Fabulous stay. We stayed a few nights with our 2 children (5 and 7 years) and had the place to ourselves. It was like our own home and eating in our own kitchen. The pool was fantastic. Everything very clean and service wonderful. We also met the owner who was also very accommodating. The rooms were spacious, modern, and had everything one could want. The staff cooked what we wanted each evening and the breakfasts were fantastic. Lots of space for the kids to run around and a giant chess set for them to play. I can only say good things about the place. We felt the area was very safe and rustic and felt very comfortable walking around at night.

Room Tip: The balcony suite is large and the bathroom enormous. Great view of the volcano and rooftops.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2012

The staff were excellent with my children and everyone was friendly and looked after us like we were royalty. Super clean and delicious breakfast. 10 stars.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bill w
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We had a fantastic stay here during a long weekend in granada. The hotel is immaculately appointed and the staff were very attentive and friendly. The setting in a beautiful colonial building that has been masterfully restored is as good as it gets. Simply exudes charm, a perfect place to get away from it all. Location is quiet but only a short walk from the town center and restaurant strip. Recommend unreservely.

Room Tip: The suite had great views and was huge (room 5)
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple