“nice forrest experiences with good vibes” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Treehouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
The Treehouse
Flims, Switzerland
“nice forrest experiences with good vibes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We went there 2 times, first we found it run by some volunteers and got the impression that it needs some work, and that it is a youngster party place. When we arrived about a mounth later we found it in much better shape, with a very warm and family style soul. We heard about the bad luck stories of the owner and the reasons why we had a different impression in the first place. So please do not hesitate to go there it is worth staying there for at least one night in the forrest, I recommend the hammock deck.

Room Tip: Can^t say anything about the rooms, but sleeping on the hammock deck is a real adventure.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank latok
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for coming back. My poor Mom was really trying for me. I had a very bad luck story with a car accident and some extreme corruption. I have since been freed and and clearing my name. We are working very hard to continue to upgrade and build on Poste Rojo. We have changed all staff and management and are building, repairing, cleaning and focusing on customer happiness. Safe Travels

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

This hostel was absolutely charming. In a stunning location, the people who work and volunteer at Treehouse Poste Rojo make the place. High up in a mountain, surrounded by roaring monkeys and good people, its impossible to imagine that anyone could have a less than wonderful time here. A highlight too is the magnificent family meals enjoyed each night - if your lucky enough to be experience the homemade chilli and cornbread, its delightful and a meal you would wish you can have every night of the week. Honestly, go to this wonderful hostel and and you will have an absolutely sensational time. Cannot thank the staff enough for the wonderful memories made!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Brendan B
PosteRojoMan, Manager at The Treehouse, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you so much for spreading the word about us. I'm very happy to see such great reviews. We are really working hard to continue to upgrade service and the buildings. Soon we will have a new slide and a couple of great new treehouse up top.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Poste Rojo is very backpackery and a little hippie. Facilities are as you would expect in the middle of a forest. There's a monkey observation treehut from which you can often view a large group of howler monkeys from a very short distance. The sunsets are great.

I'm a traveller and not a vacationer, and as such I found it to be a fun little stop along the way. Some of the reviews here are clearly from people who are on a holiday with very different expectations. The place is rough around the edges but no more or less than the average backpacker hostel (apart from the outhouse ecotoilets, which are totally fine if you've ever used one).

One of the current volunteers may strike certain people as a little eccentric, but he helps create a fun atmosphere. There's drinking and games in the evening in the common room for those who want to hang out.

Poste Rojo is very nice. It won't totally blow your mind (I think some reviews here may be overcompensating), but it's definitely cool. That said, while some of the bad reviews can be laughed at, it would be nice for the owner not just to respond with sarcasm and passive-aggressiveness. I'm not sure if that's the right attitude, especially since this place advertises itself as being laid back etc.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank marek_indietraveller
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thanks for the review. We are working hard to continue to take away those "rough edges". I will be more careful with my sarcastic responses in the future. They are meant to be funny and our place is advertised as fun. It can be laid back or fun. Getting terrible reviews because someone heard a NIcaraguan vomit, a rooster crow, was awakened by monkeys in the morning, or someone brought a bus of school kids to the bar at night just seems like something I would be sarcastic and funny about. I'll watch myself better in the future.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I came on here to right a wrong. I found myself on tripadvisor trying to judge whether or not to stay at Poste Rojo during my trip, and due to the recent bad reviews I actually decided not to..... UNTIL I met a fellow traveller who pleaded with me to checkout it out. AND I AM EXTREMELY GLAD I DID!!

I have since decided that the previous reviews are from travelers who belong in the Best Western and cannot cope without luxury for one night.

I took the Bearded Monkey shuttle from Grenada at noon that brought me right up to the pathway (which is a light hike). As soon as I reached the top I knew I had made the right decision, the tree house is an incredible place. The volunteers were very welcoming and showed me to the hammock deck where I slept (for 4 dollars).

The lunch was awesome! And the dinner was awesome-er! After dinner the 6 other guests and I enjoyed all the monkeys climbing and lounging around RIGHT NEXT to the treehouse! Once the sun went down the people that wanted to (myself included) played some drinking games and had a very mellow/fun night.

Woke up the next morning to amazing crepes for breakfast!

Poste ROjo rocks!! Check it out for yourself! I'm glad I did, and you will be too!

Room Tip: Choose the hammocks to save yourself the walk at night!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Ryan D
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for the great review. We are still working hard to make the place better and even more customer friendly.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

There was a group of us traveling CA and someone from our travels had recommended we stay there. We stayed for one night as planned. The place was interesting to say the least, pretty remote and jungle like. Beautiful sunsets and very cool to see the monkeys swinging in the trees. The rooms were clean and the food was good. The outhouse and showers while enviro friendly left a little to be desired and while yes it is Nica it was a little too rustic for me. There was also the sweetest dog there that I would have loved to take home! The 2 staff members were kind of standoffish and didn't really make us feel that welcome and the one guy had jungle rot on his feet. I was a little weirded out by that but overall great experience. Definitely check it out!

• Stayed June 2013
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for coming out and taking the time to give us a great review. We do have a lot of turnover in volunteers. It is just the nature of the business. We try to make sure they are all awesome. I know who you are speaking of and we did ask him to leave. 98% of our volunteers and mangers a very friendly and great. The poor guy with the jungle rot was tough. W\e worked on his feet with many doctors and cream. He came like that and it took months to clear up. I'm sorry you were weirded out.
Jungle rot is not a Poste Rojo thing. Safe travels
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Poste Rojo was a great place to hang out, relax in a hammock and watch the howler monkeys lumber through the trees all around you. Absolutely beautiful sunset and seeing the howler monkeys silhouetted in the trees was amazing. We had a great group there that got along and thus had a fabulous time partying the night away followed by a movie projected for all to see. Great time!

However, the staff was definitely lacking. The guy and girl that drove us to there from Granada gave me a horrible impression of the place right off the bat. They answered any questions with one word answers then blasted the music on the ride....I'm pretty sure so that they didn't have to talk to anyone. When we arrived we were shown the rooms and then the drivers disappeared. Considering the facilities at the treehouse, it would have been quite nice to have a tour of where everything was and to make sure that people were using the toilets, etc correctly. The staff at the place also was pretty useless. They seemed to be brand new and when asked if there were any places to go hiking or do something besides sitting in the hammocks I got a "yeah, probably. I guess you could walk down the road".

It's definitely a place beautiful place and worth a visit if you have a day to kill, especially if you need some down time. After falling in love with a similar place in Panama I was hoping for something even close to that experience. I planned on staying 2-3 nights, but left after just one because there really didn't seem to be much of anything to do here. Cool place, but if you're backpacking through Central America, I'd say you could miss it if you're going to Lost and Found in Panama.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
PosteRojoMan, Manager at The Treehouse, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Your 100% correct. Sometimes during the slow months good help is hard to find. I have since fired the staff that was inattentive to you and brought on a new more energetic crew. Everyone has a bad day but that doesn't excuse them for not taking care of you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Poste Rojo is a magical place where nature and humans collide. A place where monkeys and humans share the earth and the air, tilting back their heads to bask in the sun and howl to the wondrous moon. Nature creeps and crawls, chirps and screams all around the trees. The humans, they watch at first; they observe this nature that has been hidden from them for so long behind society's walls. The humans, they are not sure what to make of the trees and the crazy man who built this new society, so they sit in a hammock and they watch. Suddenly, the humans take off their shoes. They feel the soil beneath their toes. They peer at the spider beside them with a nod of acceptance and they begin their climb. The humans, they learn to listen to the thudding in their souls, to throw their inhibitions to the wind, to raise their arms to mother nature and scream out to their home, their innate home in the trees with their new family.

As the full moon rises, listen to your animalistic nature, listen for the bass bumping through the jungle and go out and find the humans in the trees, dancing with the scorpions, birds and monkeys.
~~~~~~~~~
I've been thinking a lot about Poste Rojo recently and I decided to check in on her. It saddens me to see negative reviews about Poste Rojo because these people, there must be something wrong with their minds, somewhere along the way their minds became closed off. What a shame.

While I was traveling through CA, I heard of Poste through the grapevine and hiked over for a visit. My friend and I loved what we saw and decided to come back to volunteer for a couple of weeks. Well, a couple of weeks turned into to a couple of months. Throughout my eight months of travel in Latin America, Poste Rojo still stands out in my memory as one of the best experiences of all. Much thanks to the owner, Chad for making this magical place a reality.

Tips - This is not the place for the high maintenance traveler (Nor the weak ankled! Steep rocky terrain!) Come with an open mind. Expect to use a porta potty. Expect to shower with minimal water- it's all brought up the mountain by hand! Expect the possibility of a power outage, which is common in a small Nica town. Expect to bunk with a few spiders and scorpions. I never had a bad run in with any of the critters during my stay (I don't recommend this, but I barely wore shoes after the first couple of weeks). I never heard of any bite or sting incidents with the guests. Although, if you're annoying and whine enough about how gross they are, you may get to witness the owner pick up one of the creepy crawlers and eat it - which is pretty gnarly ;)

This is a place for the wild, adventurous and young spirited. Mostly a young backpackers crowd, however all young, wild and free spirits are welcome! The coolest of cool people unite here. Relax and enjoy the atmosphere by day. By night, find a costume, grab a rum drink and get weird ya weridos!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank itchyfeet317
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Wow! This review makes me almost like Trip Advisor. Thank you for the entertaining review. I do have to say my bug eating days are over. I am living in Granada theses days. I had to give up crazy nights in the jungle. After all, who wants some crazy old man shouting down from his room to turn that damned punk rock music down? There is still and will always be no shortage of characters around to keep you entertained.
Look I'll even make one of these :) I never do that! lol or that.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granada
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada
#1 of 8 in La Laguna de Apoyo
Laguna Beach Club
Laguna Beach Club
#3 of 6 in La Laguna de Apoyo

Been to The Treehouse? Share your experiences!