“Cool buildings and nice place to relax, but 1 night was enough”
Review of The Treehouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
The Treehouse
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Poste Rojo was a great place to hang out, relax in a hammock and watch the howler monkeys lumber through the trees all around you. Absolutely beautiful sunset and seeing the howler monkeys silhouetted in the trees was amazing. We had a great group there that got along and thus had a fabulous time partying the night away followed by a movie projected for all to see. Great time!

However, the staff was definitely lacking. The guy and girl that drove us to there from Granada gave me a horrible impression of the place right off the bat. They answered any questions with one word answers then blasted the music on the ride....I'm pretty sure so that they didn't have to talk to anyone. When we arrived we were shown the rooms and then the drivers disappeared. Considering the facilities at the treehouse, it would have been quite nice to have a tour of where everything was and to make sure that people were using the toilets, etc correctly. The staff at the place also was pretty useless. They seemed to be brand new and when asked if there were any places to go hiking or do something besides sitting in the hammocks I got a "yeah, probably. I guess you could walk down the road".

It's definitely a place beautiful place and worth a visit if you have a day to kill, especially if you need some down time. After falling in love with a similar place in Panama I was hoping for something even close to that experience. I planned on staying 2-3 nights, but left after just one because there really didn't seem to be much of anything to do here. Cool place, but if you're backpacking through Central America, I'd say you could miss it if you're going to Lost and Found in Panama.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
PosteRojoMan, Manager at The Treehouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Your 100% correct. Sometimes during the slow months good help is hard to find. I have since fired the staff that was inattentive to you and brought on a new more energetic crew. Everyone has a bad day but that doesn't excuse them for not taking care of you.

There are newer reviews for The Treehouse

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Poste Rojo is a magical place where nature and humans collide. A place where monkeys and humans share the earth and the air, tilting back their heads to bask in the sun and howl to the wondrous moon. Nature creeps and crawls, chirps and screams all around the trees. The humans, they watch at first; they observe this nature that has been hidden from them for so long behind society's walls. The humans, they are not sure what to make of the trees and the crazy man who built this new society, so they sit in a hammock and they watch. Suddenly, the humans take off their shoes. They feel the soil beneath their toes. They peer at the spider beside them with a nod of acceptance and they begin their climb. The humans, they learn to listen to the thudding in their souls, to throw their inhibitions to the wind, to raise their arms to mother nature and scream out to their home, their innate home in the trees with their new family.

As the full moon rises, listen to your animalistic nature, listen for the bass bumping through the jungle and go out and find the humans in the trees, dancing with the scorpions, birds and monkeys.
~~~~~~~~~
I've been thinking a lot about Poste Rojo recently and I decided to check in on her. It saddens me to see negative reviews about Poste Rojo because these people, there must be something wrong with their minds, somewhere along the way their minds became closed off. What a shame.

While I was traveling through CA, I heard of Poste through the grapevine and hiked over for a visit. My friend and I loved what we saw and decided to come back to volunteer for a couple of weeks. Well, a couple of weeks turned into to a couple of months. Throughout my eight months of travel in Latin America, Poste Rojo still stands out in my memory as one of the best experiences of all. Much thanks to the owner, Chad for making this magical place a reality.

Tips - This is not the place for the high maintenance traveler (Nor the weak ankled! Steep rocky terrain!) Come with an open mind. Expect to use a porta potty. Expect to shower with minimal water- it's all brought up the mountain by hand! Expect the possibility of a power outage, which is common in a small Nica town. Expect to bunk with a few spiders and scorpions. I never had a bad run in with any of the critters during my stay (I don't recommend this, but I barely wore shoes after the first couple of weeks). I never heard of any bite or sting incidents with the guests. Although, if you're annoying and whine enough about how gross they are, you may get to witness the owner pick up one of the creepy crawlers and eat it - which is pretty gnarly ;)

This is a place for the wild, adventurous and young spirited. Mostly a young backpackers crowd, however all young, wild and free spirits are welcome! The coolest of cool people unite here. Relax and enjoy the atmosphere by day. By night, find a costume, grab a rum drink and get weird ya weridos!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank itchyfeet317
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Wow! This review makes me almost like Trip Advisor. Thank you for the entertaining review. I do have to say my bug eating days are over. I am living in Granada theses days. I had to give up crazy nights in the jungle. After all, who wants some crazy old man shouting down from his room to turn that damned punk rock music down? There is still and will always be no shortage of characters around to keep you entertained.
Look I'll even make one of these :) I never do that! lol or that.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This place is so great! So accepting, great atmosphere, great parties... It is in the trees and monkeys pass by daily! The sunsets are amazing and the people are fantastic! Relax in a hammock drinking a beer during the day or go on an adventure nearby (Laguna de Apollo or Mombacho Volcano) and then party during the night! There is a rope bridge, a costume box, and a killer dance floor. The volunteers are really welcoming and fun. A backpacker's must if you are near Granada.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thanks for another awesome review. THIS IS OUR TYPE OF GUEST! Great people who know a wonderful place when they find it. Oh, and those who don't mind stumbling drunk down the hill are good too.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for a night for a break from Granada. We had such a fun night partying with the volunteers!!! It's definitely a rustic environment, but if you can handle a few little bugs and an outhouse, you'll be fine. We had a great time here and wish we could have stayed longer. Sorry that you're now out of Tonas and rum punch!
Love La Flaminca and Candy

• Stayed: July 2013
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Great. Help spread the word. We love when our guest have an awesome time. Don't worry we have plenty of beer for the next time!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had such an amazing time at Poste Rojo, the views during the rainy season were incredible. Everything is so green and lush, I have heard from others that you can see amazing sunsets every night during the dry season. The volunteers and management were very funny and entertaining to hang out, but they didn't try to force or pressure us into drinking which I really appreciated,The dorms I slept in were super comfortable and very clean as well. The hike down the hill can be a little treacherous at night but it's definitely not a huge deal. The new hammoc deck they just completed is beautiful and a great spot to retreat away from the bar which can be very noisy at times.Oh, and the family dinner is amazing and absolutely worth it! I think our chefs for the night were Scott and Eloise and they made some wonderful stuffed cannelloni, it had been such a long time since I have had such a good meal.

I hope I can be there for the next full moon party, they sound amazing!

All in all, very highly recommended if you think this type of place is for you :)

Room Tip: Dorms, Private Rooms, Hammocks, they say the private treehouse is really far from the bar
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The unpleasantries began when my fiancee and I found ourselves lost trying to simply find the Hostel. Sitting unmarked in the jungle, it took the help of locals passing by to even get on the right path. Once on our way, we happened to get passed by the Hostel truck driven by 'manager' Scott who, with a grunt no less, offered us a ride to the 'bottom of the stairs'. From there, without an offer of assistance with our bags, he bolted up the rocks and waited for us at our 'semi-private room' at the bottom of the main lodge. We asked about the full private and he said, and I quote "Sorry, yeah, the private rooms aren't available at all actually. The maids and landscapers demanded them to continue working for us. All we can offer is dorm style or semi-private"; alas, we gave in. We went into our room (which was filthy, no less - yes it's a jungle, but still, take some pride. The sheets were covered in dead bugs and looked like they hadn't been changed in a long time) and immediately noticed that the power was out to which he claimed "we are working on it, it should be ready before night fall". So, we carried on with unwinding and decided to make our way up to the main "treehouse" common area. (note: by nightfall, there as still no power and we had to rely on flashlight apps on our phones to see our way around).

We asked about dinner (chicken breast and cucumber salad, $5US each) to which they replied it'll be ready at 7PM. We happily said sign us up and decided to play cards. We decided to loosen up over some drinks to which, upon ordering, we were met with the following setback: no beer and nothing to mix with other than pepsi or their "energy punch". Just RUM or water. Fun. When dinne was finally ready, 45 mins late, Scott and the other 'employees' threw the food down in front of us, lacking cutlery, and said dig in. Because the cook was "too stoned" and they were having "issues with a burner", dinner was on a first come-first served basis, NOT the family setting they mentioned prior. Alas, we ate. As it turned out, there wasn't enough food to go around, and some people had to wait significantly longer to eat anything.

After dinner, we decided to continue our card game with another traveling couple and sat beside the bar doing so. As we got comfortable, we noticed Scott and his staff clearly doing drugs in front of the hostel guests. Less than an hour later, before the third staff member started working, Scott and his girlfriend decided they were 'done working' and vanished from sight. Therefore, no more alcohol, or anything frankly.

The sleep was horrible and we didn't feel comfortable enough even disrobing because of the bugs and filth around us.

The next day, when it was time to leave, we mentioned to management where we were going and they wouldn't even drive us to the main street because it was "out of their way".

All in all, it could've been a much better experience, had the staff shown a bit more ownership over the hostel. We weren't the only people who felt this way, as our friends who we met and were planning on staying the weekend, left even before we could.

Do not waste your time with this hostel, the ads are misleading.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MrHerscu
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review the place. I'm sitting with Scott now to get explanation of what actually happened. We do have signs and tell everyone to bring a flier with the map or ask locals to help assist in finding the place. Somehow, over 5000 travelers have found there way throughout the years.
The website says on the homepage it is not for everyone. Clearly, that is you.
Scott did drop you at the bottom of the hill because there is no vehicle in the World that can climb the hill. We assist with your backpacks if ask. Generally, backpackers carry their own backpacks when they travel. We do not have sherpas in Central America. The private treehouse was booked so what you were offered and stayed in are our private rooms. They are just as private as any room in any hostel.
If there were bugs on the bed we are sorry. Flying bugs die and fall. We do our best but the maids don't go in after noon. A simple request and we would have come and swept them off the top sheet and put a new sheet on for you.
NONE of the volunteers do drugs. I know very well that they do not even smoke marijuana. Your comments are complete lies. Your perceptions are valid but you should not just make up lies about people because you were unhappy.
We do not even have an energy rum punch. Our rum punch is natural with just Hibiscus, sugar and rum.
Unfortunately, the power goes out in the pueblo. There is nothing that can be done but wait for it to return. This is Nicaragua, we have no control over the countries energy issues.
You came on a Sunday the night after a huge full moon party and unfortunately, we can not restock on Sundays because distributors are closed. We have never run out of beer it was just an unusually large drinking crowd the night before.
Scott offered to take you to the road at 10:30 you refused and choose to walk. Also, he gave you a ride to Mombacho at your request.
As for first come first served that is what family style is. People sit down together and eat. The cutlery was placed on the table, as it is every night. There was more than enough food that night because all the volunteers ate after the few guest that were there, as they always do.
I'm sorry you had the epitome of a nightmare, that sounds scary. I hope you have recovered psychologically.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Poste Rojo did an amazing job on reminding my husband and me of how we belong to the world as a travller. It literrarly is a tree house. Getting to this place after a long hike and local bus rides was rewarding and adventurous. It didn't feel like a business. It felt more like a community. We instatntly made friends with other guests from all around the world. A german girl joined us for a trip next day. The managers were very friendly and "naturally" got drunk with the guests for partying at night. Waking up in the morning by howling monkeys' giggling was amusing and doing Yoga in the middle of jungle looking down the gorgeous mountain views was absolutely breathtaking. This place is a jewel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jiji l
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Yeah! You rock! Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. I wasn't there that night but I'm happy you had a great time. I hope the rest of your journey can be as pleasant. I'm sure the howler monkeys will miss waking you up.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Granada
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada
#4 of 72 in Granada
Paradiso Hostel
Paradiso Hostel
#1 of 8 in La Laguna de Apoyo

Been to The Treehouse? Share your experiences!