“Very happy customer”
Review of The Treehouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
The Treehouse
Melbourne, Australia
“Very happy customer”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I was shocked to see that previous post from samj34c in June 2012. I was also there at this time and can easily say this was the best hostel I have stayed in throughout my whole central American trip (4 months). I found it extremely social and friendly and the volunteers went out of there way to help you. The family dinners were a highlight and never once were we served a spoon of rice and pasta. I have a feeling samj34c was at the treehouse the same time as me and I have to say they weren't very social themselves. I'm not sure what they expected from the volunteers and other guests but maybe they should try smiling once in awhile. I have some very fond memories and have made some wonderful friends from staying there. I would agree with advising to bring some snacks with you. But the rest of what they said was rubbish.

I will never forget waking up in the jungle to monkeys at your door step! Awesome!

Room Tip: Sleep quality was average but only because we were woken up by howling monkeys... Which I thought wa...
2 Thank Casandraputzout
Geniusinger , Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, June 4, 2016
Hola and thanks for your review, I realise it was quite sometime ago you stayed here & we never thanked for your feedback! We are also under new management now and have done a lot of work on The Treehouse. Hopefully if you are back in Nicaragua you can come and see the changes we have made :) all the best - Jon

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This was the first hostel we stayed at in Nicaragua, and since then we have been using the Treehouse' recommended hostels link to find other hostels! It was really fun to stay here, especially if you're here for one of the Full Moon parties! It had a strong "hippie" vibe, and I could see how people may not want to leave.

My biggest complaint was how dirty the dorm room was. I understand it is in the middle of the jungle, but felt a bit nervous spending the night when I saw the bugs around the bed. Just make sure you're really tired before you go to bed so you won't think about them!

Also, in terms of the location, be prepared to hike to get to the treehouse. And bring a flashlight with you because the path gets really dark at night!

2 Thank D C
Granada, Nicaragua
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed in this hostel in June 2012, and i think Chad could make it into something really great, if the volunteers had jobs to do and it was a little more safe.Id stay here for a night just for the views and nature, anymore than that, your wasting your time and a lot of money

Pros
We expected a great litte tree house hostel from what we saw from the photos, and granted the views and the howlers monkeys so close were amazing, we also caught some tree frogs down in the little pond!
The accomodation is next to Volcan Mombacho we walked there in 15 minutes

Cons
Everything is very expensive, bring your own food, dinner is $6 and you get a spoonful of rice and spoonful of pasta and a piece of bread, anywhere in Nicaragua you can get easily half a chicken, rice, plaintains, beans, salad, bread and a drink for under $3. Even snacks like a small chocolate bar are almost $2 in the treehouse.
Accomodation is not actually in a treehouse, its a way down the steep path in a little wooden shack, which doesnt have mesh so all the mosquitos get in, and the wood is very thin! The dorm room was broken into when we were there, so get a private room and bring a lock. Also the path was essentially a pathway of large boulders which goes up steeply for about 150m, and at night time theres no lights... so bring a flashlight is you want to walk up to the treehouse which is actually just a bar.
We couldnt get breakfast until 10am, as all the volunteers who dont do anything, were still hungover from last nights antics.

Overall, I was really let down with the treehouse, i thought it was going to be really cool, but it was just very expensive and unless you like paying a lot to sit around doing nothing all day, then dont choose this hostel and stay in Granada, a lot of much better value for money and social options.

Room Tip: Choose the private room, and get a lock the dorms got broken into the night we were there
2 Thank samj34c
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
The treehouse is definitely not for everyone. It is a nice climb up a trail that has handrails and is lit to the dorm. We have never served rice and pasta so I am not sure what to say about the response to our dinners being expensive. We provide a good amount of really great food at a reasonable price. We rarely have a complaint about dinner.
The dorm is in the forest in Nicaragua. Obviously, as with any business we have problems with thieves. We have a security guard, provide lock boxes, have alarms and motion detectors under the dorm. We have motion detecting cameras ordered from the States which will arrive in a few weeks.
There are a multitude of things to do nearby. If you choose to stay and chill in hammocks all day that is your own doing.
Granada, Nicaragua
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I made the mistake and expected a normal hostel that tries to sell the "Treehouse" label, but I learned my lesson pretty fast.
This place is lying in the outskirts of the Mombacho Cloud Forest Reserve so sometimes it feels more like a watching post in a national park, there are all kinds of birds, frequent visits of whole howler monkey families (I mean a family and not just a group of 4-5 monkeys!) and of course the red eye tree frogs ( my new favorite animal).

To reach it you have to be in shape, it's nothing for lazy "I just wanna make a photo on top" people, but the hike is totally worth it. A great view in daylight and a high chance to see beautiful sunsets. The place is very experimental and rustic, bat that's what makes it charme. And even with that it keeps up easily with other hostels - talking of offer and supply.
There are showers, toilets at the bar, dorm and casitas. The bar itself provides Internet, games and a book exchange with a wide range of books. And of course a public kitchen.

But if you want to find some friends, you should join the daily dinner at night. It's 120 Cordobas but worth it! Great food and the best way to start an evening. It never happened to me, that everybody just sat down to eat quietly - if you enjoy chatting about travels, experiences or if you just wanna have some company, that's the place to be.

The hostel is not in Granada, but on the main road between Rivas and Granada. You can hike from the hostel to the Mombacho vulcano, the Laguna de Apoyo is just a short Tuk Tuk ride away and you just need 20 minutes to the market of Granada.

The beds in the dorm are above average (mattresses that deserve the name) and provides lockers that are big enough for a whole backpack, so you don't have to worry about your stuff.

I enjoyed my time and kinda got stuck in this place, but that for a good reason - if you wanna have party, there's nobody telling you to be quiet (dorm and bar got enough distance in between). If you wanna relax there are a lot of platforms in the trees to do yoga or to lie in a hammock with a book.
Seriously if you're passing this area, take a brake in the Treehouse!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank backpackergeorge
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I heard about Poste Rojo from a couple friends who actually helped making it as volunteers. When I got there, I assumed they had exaggerated how awesome it was, but learned otherwise when I got there. After a slight hiked up the hill, I got to the main hangout/bar area. The whole place was beautiful, and there were hammocks everywhere. The red post, which was a fire poll, slid you down between the second floor, where the communal dinners were, and the first floor, with the bar and a bunch of hammocks, of the main building. There were also stairs, so don't worry. The communal vibe and atmosphere were amazing, and the whole area was just awesome. You could rent hammocks to sleep in for 4 dollars a night or, since hammocks are tough to sleep in, you could rent a dorm for only 8 dollars. Double private was only 20 dollars, and the private treehouse was only 26. The entire area was beautiful and the party atmosphere is absolutely worth the walk.

Room Tip: The private treehouse is amazing, but may not be a good idea if you plan to drink much. The stairs a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank nmwhitehead
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Great idea to create a hostel there. A place to meet another backpackers, to share stories, to read in the tree or to practice yoga. Nice place, if you are carrying a backpack and not a have heavy suitcase. When you go there you'll understand why - its hard & stiff to get there.

The dorm is basic, has beds and lockers (big lockers). Forget about TV and couches. There is internet connection, but only one can use it in the same time. There is a basic kitchen. The staff is very friendly, the manager as well.
Has a composting WC, shower as well.

The location is great, but not easy accessible - you need to take a taxi from Granada, or a chicken bus, then walk one km.

Bottom line : If you like comfort and cozy, better stay in Granada. If you like adventure, rustic and party - dont miss it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Bodrimir
Clio
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I've spent one unforgettable night at Poste Rojo. I met so many travelers from all over the world. The location was inspiring, the people were inspiring. I left Nica to fly back home to Michigan but my very dear friend actually stayed and worked at the tree house for over a week. It's truly is a beautiful and clean place. I highly recommend it. Especially if you've never experienced a tree house as an adult. ;-)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends