“At the last minute we decided to hire a driver and van. We're really glad we did!”

Nicaragua Adventures - Day Tours
$78.00*
One-Way Private Transfer from Granada to Managua
Ranked #2 of 46 Tours in Granada
More attraction details
Owner description: Nicaragua Adventures offers private, custom and unique tours, exclusively designed to satisfy our guest's many requests and expectations (we do not form groups!). Operating since 1999 and based in Granada, Nicaragua, we offer sightseeing, soft and more strenuous adventures, for couples, families and small-mid size groups. We offer the highlights, but also always try to include a few original activities/visits on the way, to make our itineraries more valuable and maximize time during your vacation. We also are one of the very few agencies with a license/permit to operate (Delivered by the Nicaraguan Tourism Institute INTUR, you may require it when booking with tour provider in Nicaragua). We own a fleet of vehicles (all a/c, recent and comfortable, well maintained to accommodate all group sizes from 1 person to groups, with well trained, professional and friendly drivers), allowing more flexibility and satisfaction for oour customers. Our company is recommended by New York Times, Outside Magazine, Washington Post and several other magazines, please check about us. In addition, Nicaragua Adventure's manager (Pierre, a native from France living in Nicaragua/Costa Rica since year 1996) has been awarded as the "Top Travel Specialist" for Nicaragua by Conde Nast Traveler, three years in a row since 2011. Contact us for a unique travel experience.
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My wife and I and another couple visited Nicaragua for two weeks in December 2011. We had done extensive research about what to see and do there, and becuse we speak some Spanish, intended to rent our own vehicle and drive ourselves. About two weeks before our departure we got cold feet and decided to rent a driver and van from Nicaragua Adventures. It's the best thing we ever did! The highways are in generally good shape and fairly well signed, but the opposite is true once you get into the cities - especially the larger ones. Driving there would have been very stressful!

Our driver, Maximo, was perfect for us. He was a very safe driver. His laid back demeanor and sense of humor went well with our desire to be flexible when deciding our next day's schedule. His English was good and, although not a guide, was able to interject timely information about the sites we were seeing. He took us to wonderful local places to eat and shop. The Nicaraguan people were always so friendly and happy. He also made all the arrangements to take the van on the ferry to Ometepe. Maximo lives in Granada and was kind enough to meet us with his three beautiful children for ice cream our last night there. The two little girls were so precious. Fortunately, they look like their mother!

Our trip to Nicaragua turned out to be a wonderful cultural experience ---- thanks to Pierre's ability to book us a driver and van on such short notice and to Maximo for making our visit so special.

5  Thank Michael S

Reviewed February 17, 2012

My wife and I wanted a 33 days tour and after trying to arrange it myself as I usually do I gave up and got Nicaragua Adventures to do it for me. Good decision! They did a much better job than I could have done and took all the worry out of the trip.

Right from arriving in Managua Airport we were met and taken to a very nice hotel in Granada, La Posada Del Sol, within easy walking distance of the centre and with a swimming pool too.

Then we had 4 nights in San Juan Del Sol, again in a smart, central but quiet hotel before moving on to Ometepe where we stayed at Charco Verde right on the calm lakeside with a nature reserve immediately next door.

We wanted to take the overnight ferry to San Carlos for the Rio San Juan, and I subsequently found out that Nicaragua Adventures had a nightmare arranging this but they never said a word, just got on with it, and when we arrived in San Carlos at dawn there was a representative to meet us and make sure we got the boat down the river. We hadn't expected this last service as we'd told Nic Ad that we wanted to make our own arrangements, so it was over and above the brief and very much appreciated.

Our next 4 nights were in wonderful Sabalos Lodge where we were astonished to find that we had the best cabin there with outstanding views of the river and excellent meals all included plus a jungle trek and a tour of El Castillo including giant shrimp lunch. We actually spotted more wildlife in the beautiful grounds of Sabalos Lodge than we did in the jungle, including bright green lizards, otters playing in the river, baby caymen, humming birds etc etc.

When we left the river and got back to San Carlos, there was Luis (who's employed by Sabalos Lodge, I think) to meet us from the boat, lead us to the ATM, take us to a restaurant for an included lunch that we hadn't expected and then drive us to the airport as well, so more added value.

A night in a very smart Managua hotel followed, and then an easy flight to the Corn Islands for the final 2 weeks, firstly in wonderful Little Corn Beach & Bungalow who spoiled us rotten with their wonderful food and excellent staff - they called us Mr Andrew and Miss Jilly - and the final week on the superb beach at Arenas Beach Resort.

For the little extra it cost to use the services of Nicaragua Adventures we got better rooms than we could have hoped for, extra value all round, no worries about getting from A to B and people we felt we could call on if we got into difficulties, not that we ever did but it gave us peace of mind and it's hard to put a value on that.

1  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed February 11, 2012

My 17 year old daughter and I travelled to Nicaragua from January 16 to the 23, 2012. I found Nica-adventure tours online and decided to book a one day tour with them. I paid in advance by Visa as they requested. The tour guide Camillo picked us up at our hotel on time and we immediately felt comfortable with him. Camillo was accompanied by Jimmy, the driver, who is a very cautious driver and made us feel safe. The tour guide was very knowledgeable, funny and always had our safety at heart. We visited the active volcano and climbed all the way to the top. We also went to the public market, which is a very safe area, and then to Catarina for lunch. Camillo's choice in restaurants was impeccable with a view that would take your breath away. Our last stop was at a pottery school where we purchased some homeade pottery. Again, Camillo was incredible, gave us good advice and was there all the way for us.

Do not hesitate to book with this company. They are incredible, caring individuals and very professional. They go out of their way to make sure you are satisfied and happy with your tour. And they do not quit until you are happy. I know that they also have an office in Costa Rica and I am planning on booking with them when I visit next year.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

This tour is a positive experience for anyone who values history, cultural diversity and compassion towards humanitarian efforts.

The tour began at 5:30am but the fun began when we arrived at the Costa Rican/Nicaragua boarder! Only one word can describe it- absolute Chaos! There was no organization in terms of roadway lanes. The traffic was congested, there was no direction or process to follow, no signs to direct/instruct or no uniforms to identify the officials. Even attempts at using common sense to determine how to proceed through immigration would be fruitless. One would definitely require the benefit of an experienced guide to navigate through this system before exiting Costa Rica and entering the country of Nicaragua. And, we certainly had one of the best guides ever who I would highly recommend. Eric was a gentleman of Nicaraguan descent but managed to make a living in Costa Rica. He was extremely intelligent, knowledgeable and very well respected by the authorities of both countries. As far as reporting to the boarder officer in terms of how we in the western world are accustomed, their process was a breeze. It was neither difficult nor intimidating, it was simply a proceedure.

Once we managed to depart from Costa Rica, we entered Nicaragua to view the expansive chronic poverty conditions many people lived in. Our guide explained that Nicaragua is the poorest country in Latin America followed only by Haiti which is number one. 48% of its people live in extreme poverty. The median age is 21 and 80% of the population survive on less than $2.00 per day. Education is free but most of the children have little clothing, no shoes and have very little food available to them so they tend to concentrate on just surviving. For this reason, one-third of all Nicaraguan children never enroll in elementary school, fail to attend, or drop out before reaching the sixth grade. Low literacy skills are common.

Our first stop was Granada, the oldest colonial city on the America Continent which is preserved in is original state. We toured a beautiful 200 year old church and walked the streets to view colorful architectural structures. Seeing the street vendors, horse and carts and buildings will give you a sense of its rich culture and old world appeal.
We were greeted by children in Central park, who played instruments and danced with colorful costumes hoping to earn a few dollars. Some of the older children sold beautiful pottery and made interesting items from bamboo they picked from trees. Others sold cashew peanuts, which are grown in Nicaragua.

We then visited the Masaya volcano which was absolutely amazing. Climbing up 177 stairs, you can reach the lookout to peer directly into this smoldering volcano. We sailed over the Nicaraguan Lake to view two volcano 's which peak in the middle of the lake. We visited an open market where we lunched on some spectacular cuisine. The market gave us an opportunity to haggle with proprietors selling wood, leather and pottery.

Overall, the tour was insightful, historical and informative but it also left me feeling dubious. I would love to visit again some day and yet, in the meantime, I ponder how I can walk away and ignore the chronic poverty that exists in this country. Their economical demise has been caused by poor leadership and abuse of power with no change in sight. For this reason, I would urge everyone to take this tour because every dollar will help to fuel their economy. When taken with a guide, it is completely safe and inspiring. As you view the squalor conditions people live in, you will be inspired by their their endurance as you observe them busily sweeping, cleaning around their homes, interacting with their children or caring for livestock as you cruise along the well paved highway in your air conditioned tour bus. Please remember to bring several one dollar American bills to support the spirit of entrepreneurship and allow you to walk away from the experience knowing that many children will eat that day.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

I did a lot of research for this trip, and ended up using Nica-Adventures primarily because of the various Trip Advisor recommendations. I was not disappointed – thank you Trip Advisor! They will work with you on any itinerary you want and help customize it to the degree of comfort you wish. They were very thorough and had great recommendations. Not only that, their price was very fair especially for the level of service we received. All my communication with Nica-Adventures was via email but they were always very prompt in responding. My only caveat (and there is a work-around) is they prefer wired transfer of funds. I was initially very weary of this form…they do accept credit cards but they will bill you the surcharge the credit card companies charge…so you can choose which form you prefer. I went the wired route and they provided every service and then some for our trip.

Our entire trip from start to finish was flawless and absolutely perfect. Nica-Adventures played a huge part in making that so. I had a tight schedule and they came up with a great itinerary – 1 day/night Managua with tour (thank you Carlos and Eduardo!), 2 nights on Big Corn Island, 2 nights at Grenada (thank you Roberto and Camilo!) and 2 nights at San Juan Del Sur (thanks to Oscar and Roberto for driving!). Each leg of the journey we were picked up exactly on time, in large clean vehicles, with AC. All the drivers and guides were extremely helpful, provided indepth knowledge of whatever place we were visiting. Extremely friendly and went out of their way to ensure we were happy. I have never used a tour operator before so I really can’t compare Nica-Adventures to anyone else but the level of service I felt was superlative and well worth it. I will definitely use Nica-Adventures when we return and we will return – Nicaragua was a great country.

2  Thank Britdrnva