“Dissapointment”

and up
Chocolate Museum Tour from Managua
Ranked #5 of 73 things to do in Granada
More attraction details
Owner description: ChocoMuseo is the new Cacao and Chocolate Museum in Granada Nicaragua.It offers a great overview of the history, the nature and the manufacturing of the cacao and the chocolate. There is a chocolate factory located inside the museum and Cacao farm tours are offered..
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Dissapointment”
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

We just dropped in for buying dark chocolate in this beautiful place and we were pleased to find local made fair trade organic chocolate. Because of that we agreed by paying $3.75 for a 70% cacao almond chocolate bar. Although we know the local taste is much sweeter then ours (Holland) we were surprised by the sweetness and 'rough' taste of the bar. Unfortunately the almonds were just a few thin slices on top of the bar, nothing more. The appearance of the chocolate wasn't very appealing probably because of the heat. Better to store all bars in the fridge and a cover sample in the store. Last but unfortunately not least: the service was nothing to write about.

Martijn & tineke

1 Thank Martijn V

Payson, Arizona
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“Most fun I had in Nicaragua!”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Reserved a spot in the cooking class. What fun! We had a friendly teacher with great English that really made it enjoyable. We learned how to roast, shell and grind the cacao and then got to taste Mayan and Aztec hot chocolate drinks. Then we got to choose flavors to make our own candy bars. I learned a LOT! Now I know better what to look for in chocolate that I purchase too. I am an admitted chocoholic so this was a fun and educational way to spend an hour and a half. It flew by and I could tell that families loved it too. After you make your chocolate bar, you let it set in the fridge for a few hours and come back to pick it up. Lots of folks were doing that before and after our class. Glad that this is available in Granada!

San Antonio, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Overpriced and rude staff.”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We went with great expectations based upon reviews, to begin with they charge $19 a person to take the class to make chocolate from scratch. Four of us paid to take the class, I realized that we wanted someone to take photos so I opted to not take the class so I could shoot photos of the others. I went and explained the situation to them and asked if I could get my money back because I was going to shoot photos, they immediately said that they could not do that, so we asked for a manager which showed up and we once again explained the situation and why I wanted my money back, and she said ok, she then told me that if I was not going to take the class that I could stay and watch. Long story short, we all walked out with our money back because they were so rude we decided none of us wanted to stay and put up with there rude way of doing business, and by the way one little chocolate bar in there was about $3 to $4 dollars, this place is a joke, my wife is a native spanish speaker, so there was no communication barrier.

bigbodes, Owner at ChocoMuseo, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
I am sorry you did not take the class, which you felt was overpriced; the $19 price is about 50% of the price for the same class offered by ChocoMuseo in the Dominican Republic, and, as you may see from the vast majority of comments, is a very enjoyable experience for most participants. Often people feel that others are being rude if they do not get their way. That seems to be the case here. By being present and taking photos, you would be getting most of the benefits of participating in the class without paying for it, which does not seem fair to me. I´m actually pleased my staff tired to accommodate your unreasonable request; I probably would have made a different decision. As to product, our artisanally made chocolate bars, made with the finest Nicaraguan organic cacao are actually $3.75 each. It is not a mass market consumer product and as such is priced accordingly. The same bar would cost over $10 in the US. ChocoMuseo is intended to be fun and educational, again my apologies for your perception, but I am certain my staff did not intend to be rude.
Toronto, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Courtyard”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

The museum is mostly posters but very informative. The courtyard is beautiful. The best thing about this place is that it's connected to the Mombacho Beach Club in the Hotel Spa Granada, so you can order chocolate drinks by the pool.

Budapest, Hungary
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“All you can eat breakfast is fantastic”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

And ever so tasty. Freshly made pancakes, omelets, juices, breads, at a very reasonable price. We ate here twice. The atmosphere is great as well in the garden. It is located in the choc museum; we did not do their tour, but there are many posters with interesting info about chocolate. It is connecte to a hotel, whose lobby is full of paintings and masks.

Visited January 2014