“Choco Talko”

and up
Make Your Own Chocolate Tour From Managua
Ranked #5 of 76 things to do in Granada
More attraction details
Owner description: ChocoMuseo is the new Cacao and Chocolate Museum in Granada Nicaragua.It offers a great overview of the history, the nature and the manufacturing of the cacao and the chocolate. There is a chocolate factory located inside the museum and Cacao farm tours are offered..
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This tour was sweet! It was a little lonely seeing as how it was just my sister, her son and myself, but that didn't take away any of the excitement. Ismael was a great guide and kept us energized through the entire process. we learned allot and did most of the work ourselves. For me, learning the rich history of something that I would normally consider just an everyday product is what made this tour so special. It wasn't too long, it was relatively inexpensive and like I said, it was a real treat.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

My two daughters (ages 12 and 9) took the chocolate making class and liked it so much they did it again with two friends. Ismael is awesome. He conducts the class with enthusiasm and flair and makes it a great learning experience. I was impressed with how much my girls retained from the class.
I wish I could say the rest of the staff was as helpful. Instead about three-quarters of the way through the class someone game up and told my wife and I that we had to either pay full price for the class of leave the room where the class was conducted (we were watching our girls but not participating in the chocolate making). Ismael eventually got evertyhing straightened out but it was a needless hassle. Similarly another family arrived late because someone at the Museo gave them the wrong time for the class.
But still, the Museo is worth a visit. The Museo has some interesting information about the use of cacoa and chocolate through history and the choclate making class was excellent

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We didn't do the chocolate tour or chocolate making, but we did come for breakfast. After you pay the $6, you help yourself to juices, fruits, yogurt and other offerings. Don't fill up on these, the best is yet to come.

The attendant will take your order for eggs, pancakes, and waffles. We both chose omelettes with all their offerings: cheese, tomato, onion, and ham. In addition, I ordered a pancake with chocolate nibs and my partner had a plain waffle. I have owned a restaurant where breakfast was a mainstay, but I have to say this was one of the best omelettes I have ever had. Not only was it picture perfect (sadly I didn't photograph it), but it was just as flavorful.

The pancake has a distinct flavor that was incredibly good, though I could not identify what made it so different. The chocolate nibs were a topping, not integrated in the batter. I ordered a second pancake with pineapple. Again, the pancake was delicious, even though the pineapple sat on top, not in the pancake itself.
Tips:
If you want fruit, order the plain pancake or waffle, savor the flavor and then add fruit yourself from the selections.
Chocolate nibs are the ground coca shells. They are crunchy, a bit bitter and not at all sweet, but still have a delightful flavor as an addition.
The carrot-orange and other juices are heavily sugared. If you need to watch your sugar, avoid them.
They are very smart in serving one pancake or waffle at a time to cut back on waste. They welcome you to eat all you want, so there is no reason not to get hot pancakes or waffles.

The setting surrounds the courtyard of a hotel with coffee trees and other plants. You may be entertained with the paintings decorating the walls or watching the antics of birds in the water fountain.

1  Thank BudaBaB
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

The chocolate making workshop is awesome. You make your own chocolate from roasting beans to making hot chocolate to pouring your own chocolate bar. Definitely worth it. Also if you have time, check out the pool and chocotherapy massage at Spa Granada next door.

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Ishmael, the workshop instructor, was friendly and knowledgeable. He's a gem for the operation. I learned quite a bit about chocolate and chocolate making.