“False Advertising as Clean & Quiet”
Review of Hostal La Casita

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
Hostal La Casita
Ranked #37 of 64 Specialty Lodging in Granada
San Jose, Costa Rica
“False Advertising as Clean & Quiet”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have to agree with the last review before this one. La Casita owners, whom I met over the phone while I was staying there, think of their hostel as quiet because they don't have a television, a sound system, or a bar in their common area. They do, however, have a fridge, which guests can and do use to stock up on alcohol, and they do have a lovely inner courtyard, right outside the main dormitory.

I stayed there for 3 nights. Unfortunately I was dumb enough to pay for all 3 nights in advance, and they wouldn't refund my money when I wanted to leave early. The place was really loud, with guests smoking and drinking in the courtyard ALL NIGHT LONG... until 6am. I couldn't sleep at all, even with earplugs. Drunken guests were coming in and out of the dormitory all night long, knocking things over, talking, laughing & screeching as if they were at a beach party, getting into all states of undress (one girl was walking around topless, while another was in her underwear), and I was surrounded by people nearly having sex in the beds on either side of mine. I tried to sleep, but I couldn't.

I enjoy partying too, and I'm not a prude at all... I'm an artist with very liberal friends. But during those 3 days in Granada I was WORKING during the day. I chose La Casita because they advertise themselves as a quiet place where people can get a good night's sleep. BUT THIS IS NOT TRUE!!

The place also has a cat -- in case you're allergic. They never mention this to anyone at all when people sign in. I love cats, but I know people who would not have been okay there. I caught the cat sleeping on several different beds in the dormitory during the day.

The bathrooms felt yucky too... not filthy, but not clean either. They were the sort of bathrooms I would expect at a camping site... old, half-put-together, black spots everywhere from aged mold that simply won't come off, etc.

Room Tip: If you must stay at La Casita, go for one of the private rooms. They are a bit more expensive but yo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Cris M

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here in Granada for three nights. Amazing city, lame hostel. No a/c (fans only), dirty, felt only moderately safe. The bathroom was NASTY too. Our room had a 'window,' no glass, just bars and a curtain that opened up into the courtyard. HORRIBLE thing was, right outside our window was where everyone smoked. Our room smelled terrible and was also super loud because of this. The night guard slept on his desk all night long, so he didn't do much good. The day guard was very friendly and gave us great tips (always take a cab after dark, even if only for two blocks to avoid getting robbed at knife point by the 14 year old boys. seriously though). So we took the cabs to our hotel for less than a dollar for the Parque center.

Overall the place worked out, but we would stay somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Don't get the room where the window opens up to the smoking/ash tray area of the courtyard, it s...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Granada hotels

Germany
Reviewed July 30, 2012

La Casita is a quiet Hostel close to the center of Granada. The hostel is nothing special but has a nice chilly atmosphere, a kitchen for the guests, a big dorm, with old, not very comfortable mattresses and an old slow computer. The staff is really nice and gives good advices what to do in Granada. The hostel is cosy and personel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jonas F
UK/Spain/New Zealand
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We came here from La Libertad across the road, and enjoyed the quiet atmosphere. This place is simple, but the rooms and bathrooms are very clean and there is a nice patio at the back. We paid $6 per person for private rooms with shared bathrooms - only 2 bathrooms for the whole hostel, so sometimes had to wait. There is wifi and there are kitchen facilities, with free coffee in the morning. I'd definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank orphanpiglet
San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Simple, clean dorm room out the back of a nice courtyard for $5 US. Great value! Good kitchen and clean facilities as there is a cleaner there all day ensuring the bathrooms and common areas are always tidy. Spotless! Highly recommended if looking for a quiet and are on a budget. Just a few blocks from the main square.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hailz888
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I had a positive experience here. The matresses in the dorms were pleasant to sleep on. They were clean. During the day it can get pretty hot in the dorms, there are ventilators though. They should invest in an A/C in my opinion, as it can get pretty humid in Granada.
A definite pro is that there is a kitchen, which is clean. They also have lockers that are big enough to fit your entire backpack. Prices for dorms are $5, cheaper than most hostels.
The hostess of the place is also really kind.
Overall a pleasant place to stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank CEM O
Malaysia
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed 2 nights in this hostel. I took a double bed private room. The room was provided with a fan. However, it was quite well ventilated as we have a window opened out to the indoor garden. We had a big bed and a small bed on top. Due to the hot weather in May, I would say the room is cool but don't expect to be cool like an air-con room. However, the dorms were quite hot and stuffy because there is only one fan for all the 8 beds, also one small window. It was not so conducive to stay in the dorm, so I opted out for the private double room which cost only USD14 for 2 pax. Dorm however, is only USD5 per pax. Well, what you pay is what you get. Don't expect to pay for a mini cooper car price and get a BMW car. Cost = Comfort. This is what is it.
Anyway, my double room - the beds are not that excellent, because they sagged a bit but it is not that bad, after all.

There is a cooling and shady indoor garden where you can sit and relax, have a beer or drink coffee (free coffee) or read a book.

The location is great, 2 minutes walk to the Centro Historico and all the bars and restaurants.

The staff in charge was friendly and helpful. Before you check in, they showed you around the dorm and the rooms. You can choose whichever suits your budget. They also showed you the bathroom, kitchen and toilets. What a warm welcome.

I would recommend that this is a good low budget hostel esp. the dorm - USD5 per bed.

Room Tip: Go for the private double room where it is not so stuffy like the dorm.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends