“Not what I was expecting based on its 5 star ranking” 3 of 5 bubbles

Casa Silas B & B
Ranked #4 of 66 Granada B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Overland Park, Kansas
“Not what I was expecting based on its 5 star ranking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

First, let me say that I only give this a 3 star review based on the house, room and bathroom appointments. I couldn't give an excellent five star rating based solely on the owners and their animals, although, they do deserve five stars. I feel it is also important to be honest so that one can be clear on what to expect when booking a reservation.

Yes, Rob, Claudia, Silas and Pepper are all fabulous house mates and I wouldn't complain about any of them. Rob is a gracious host and did everything within his immediate power to make our stay enjoyable. He is a great source of information and in fact operates and owns the website vidagranada.com, which is a great source for all things Nica, but advertisers pay to be part of the site, so just because they are listed doesn't mean they are the best.

That said, there are a few things that I feel are worthy of mentioning. This is listed as the # 1 B&B in Granada, but I have stayed in number 2 and number 3 B&B's too and I think they have more to offer when it comes to space in the B&B and the rooms/baths themselves. The room I stayed in for 2 nights at Silas was fine, but very small (you could literally fit 2 of this room in one of the rooms at the #2 & 3 B&B's). It's certainly not on par with its competition and I'm finding it difficult to understand why no one is talking about this. That said, here it goes....

The room I stayed in was very small and musky (when not running the air, which we only did at night because we felt conservation was important). While the bed was relatively comfortable (i use this term loosely) the pillows left a LOT to be desired. The two pillows provided, if stuffing removed and combined, would not make a single good pillow, let alone two. No biggie, just being honest.

There is nowhere to really sit comfortably in the house ( as in lounging) other than in your bed. Yes there is a single chair in the room I stayed in and there is an outdoor style deck table and chairs by the pool, but there is no real cushiony comfy place to hang out. No biggie, just note worthy. Maybe lying in bed wasn't comfy because the pillows were nonexistent. :)

The bathroom in my particular room was clean and had all the comforts of home, except a place to put all of your toiletries. Yes there is warm water and plenty of pressure, but the decor is not what one might expect as the number one B&B (again only comparing to the others I stayed in while visiting). The other number 2 & 3 B&B's decor are VERY nice, bedding plush and room appointments make you feel like you're staying in a high end place. In my humble opinion, Casa Silas feels more like staying in someone's home that lives humbly in Nicaragua, which, is exactly what it is! It's not well presented as a B&B and could use a facelift on decor in the rooms and baths.

The WIFI works great. Rob does well making breakfast on his own. He's a hard working, very down to earth, approachable Canadian, living his dream in Nica. What can I say? If my review was solely based on the hosts I would give it 5 stars, but people aren't being candid about the actual home/room appointments in their reviews.

The other number 2&3 B&B's do a better job at making you feel comfortable to use the kitchen, access the fridge, etc. (this was my experience). It's not that anyone did anything to make me feel uncomfortable, it's just apparent that you are staying in someone's home. There is no filtered water and no bottled water, sobering your own. Rob also does not keep beer or liquor on hand (the other B&B's do and it's set up on an honesty policy. This comes in very handy when it's late and you wanna drink without having to go to Calzada or a restaurant. Silas isn't the closest B&B to Central Park or any restaurants for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, please, none of this is meant as complaining. I am just feel like most people are only sharing their opinion of the hosts and not being 100% honest about the actual house and what it offers. I'm just incredibly perplexed about the ranking of this particular B&B. Is it reservation worthy?, of course. Should it be ranked in the top 3?, not in my opinion, unless one is basing their entire stay on the hosts alone. The house itself leaves much to be desired in comparison to Miss Margrits and Casa Cubana that's all I'm saying here.

So I will end again by saying that Rob is great, incredibly helpful and a nice guy. So, make a reservation, but be expecting quite a bit less in the way of room and bath and house luxury if you book. If you are looking for room to spread out, lounge and stay a while this is not the best place for you. There are other B&B's better suited for a 3 or more night visit.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms and they share a wall to the bathroom that separates them.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jonesy38

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Rob and Claudia were wonderful and helpful hosts, the place is fantastic, clean and comfortable and the pool was wonderful for a morning, day or night swim. we couldnt have been happoer. also tasty breakfast and lovely dogs!.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I just want to confirm all the 5 star reviews for Casa Silas! The hosts, Rob and Claudia, are lovely people and have created a wonderful place to stay in Granada. They are very helpful with information about outings, how to get around, and will phone a cab for you if your Spanish isn't so great on the phone. They even arranged to have someone pick us up from the airport on our arrival for an additional $40. Every morning we had a very filling breakfast and every evening we had a dip in the pool. You are a short walk from the center of Granada, and a short drive or bus ride from many different attractions. It was such a relaxing and comfortable experience-I would highly recommend it to anyone!
FYI-the rooms only accomodate 2 people each, so good not for big groups but perfect for couples!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Rob and Claudia are the perfect hosts! The B&B is clean, relaxing, and comfortable. There is hot water (though you'll probably want a cool/cold shower most of the time) and excellent A/C. Our hosts were incredibly helpful with recommendations for restaurants, nearby day trips, and readily available to help facilitate any plans. We stayed at Casa Silas for 3 nights, our first night and last two nights, of a 10-day trip. Our itinerary was constantly changing and Rob/Claudia were very flexible, patient, and helpful through it all. Looking forward very much to a return trip!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Casa Silas was a great way to end our trip to Nicaragua. The rooms were big and clean, offering hot water and AC. Breakfast was a tasty start of every day with Gallo Pinto and the best coffee in Nica. Rob and Claudia were very helpful and provided great insight into how to best maximize our short stay in such a wonderful city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were in Granada for only 1 day and night, but Rob and Claudia helped us to make the most of it! After a refreshing dip in the pool we went out for a fantastic lunch @ el marlin per the suggestion of Rob. He also arranged a taxi to the airport which made a stop at volcan masaya. The room was clean and cool, the breakfast fresh and delicious, and the design of the b&b beautiful. I highly recommend staying at casa silas

• Stayed June 2013
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

After a hectic 4 days in Nicaragua, my boyfriend and I were lucky enough to spend our last night/day in Granada, at this gorgeous Bed & Breakfast. We reserved a room for one night at Casa Silas based on the reviews and we were not disappointed! Rob and Claudia were wonderful hosts, they kindly welcomed us upon our arrival, showed us to our beautiful room and quickly made us feel at home. The bedroom was spacious, comfortable, and clean. The private bathroom was also very nice. The location was perfect too, everything was within walking distance. They recommended great places for us to eat and arranged a taxi for us back to Managua to catch our return flight home. We couldn't have asked for a more pleasant experience. Casa Silas B&B was amazing!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple