“Gotta love the "poor" and "terrible" ratings.”

Restaurante El Garaje
Ranked #1 of 170 Restaurants in Granada
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

I love reading the negative reviews on this thing. El Garaje has like 4 of them out of several hundred and they are all so cynical and flat out ridiculous that you have to wonder what kind of life that reviewer is living.

Firstly, is is true that the TA locator and google maps have the restaurant in the wrong location. It is about 2 blocks closer to the lake on the same street (address is correct at 512 Calle Corral or Corrales). It is not difficult to find despite the wrong location. Google maps does this on occasion including in major cities like Boston. Anyone who "wasted" time trying to find it let alone gives a bad review based on this is a complete idiot. Learn how to be a traveller and ask someone for directions. The sign is large and not difficult to see.

Secondly, Granada is hot. A negative review based on the climate of the city is completely ignorant. The restaurant has plenty of fans and the air movement is good. My wife and I were there during the heat of the day and were completely comfortable. If you think negatively of an establishment based on the local climate, you probably shouldn't be travelling in the tropics.

Thirdly, the menu is quite extensive for a small restaurant. It is primarily a lunch spot and has several vegetarian and meat sandwiches and salads. There were three specials that all looked exceptional. If I had any complaint it would be that the menu is too good and it was difficult to choose. I ended up having a red snapper bahn mi, Vietnamese sandwich, that was perfectly spicey and complemented well with homemade pickled veggies and a light cole slaw. My wife had the tandoori chicken sandwich which was served on flat bread and also tasted exceptional. No menu issues here! Food is locally sourced and very fresh.

Service was good, not slow, and prices very reasonable. Overall this is a must go restaurant. Pay no heed to the ridiculously negative reviews. From my personal experience at this place, those reviewers were either having terrible days or are just outright cynical people, maybe both. Easy and well worth the short walk from the city center. We will god back for sure.

3  Thank johnsm8
There are newer reviews for Restaurante El Garaje

Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I lie in granada and don't believe any of the bad reviews. The atmosphere is fresh and bright. The service was outstanding ( we had our own fan..and when you live in granada you know the joys of cool air) the food was stupendous!! My husband had the BBQ tandoori and I the pork salsa verde quesadilla. Amazing!!! Cannot wait to bring our friends here next week and our family the week after.

1  Thank TravelingJordans
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My #1 favorite restaurant in Granada just got a bad review. I totally respect the reviewer, as we all have different opinions and likes. This is what makes the world go round and makes life interesting. However, this place has 253 reviews as I post mine. Consistently they get hundreds of rave reviews. In my opinion…This place is awesome! The menu is varied and changes, to some degree, daily. Paul and Heather Aquin (husband and wife) shared with me when I asked that they decided to keep this quaint little place small when they first opened it approximately 6 years ago so that they could maintain quality control and have only the freshest ingredients in their totally homemade fare on a daily basis. I recently found out that I am Gluten Sensitive. Any item that they serve, they are willing to modify to gluten free if at all possible. That means I can have BBQ Tandoori without the bread and dozens of other dishes they create with modifications. They seem to go out of their way to help with my "gluten issue" and are very agreeable to do so. Their salads are huge and delicious. My husband are I are staying in Granada for 6 weeks and we will eat more than half our meals out at this one place because their menu is so varied and interesting...and I trust them. Super nice people and their business is located on a safe, middle class mostly residential street. My husband loves their sandwiches, quesadillas, flatbreads….and cold beer. He says it is the coldest beer in Granada (served in a frosty mug). This place should always be #1 on TA in our opinion! PS…I asked today and was told that we can also order ahead and get take out…but it is just the two of them, so we plan to give them a couple hours notice. They are always full and very busy, as you might expect. They are open Monday – Friday from 11:30 AM to 6:30 PM. Location: 512 Calle Corrales, 2 ½ blocks to Lake Nicaragua from Convento San Francisco.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Pay no heed to the recent negative reviews, this is a solid place to eat and worth uncovering. The salads were not to my personal liking but the quality, care of preparation, presentation, cleanliness of location, friendliness of service, freshness of ingredients and imagination all make this a justifiabley 5 star location in Granada.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Went here for a quick lunch when our hostelowner recommended this to us. Hands down best lunch we had so far durin our entire trip. The restaurant is located a bit out of the centre of town, but is well worth it when you have your first bite in one of their delicious sandwiches. Affordable, good food and great and friendly owners!!