“Consistently the best in Granada”

Restaurante El Garaje
Ranked #1 of 178 Restaurants in Granada
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I have lived in Granada since March and I don't know what I would possibly do with myself if el Garaje ever shut its doors. I already often feel a sense of loss and confusion (where in the world do I go eat now?) when the restaurant is closed on weekends. El garaje is, in brief, healthy, clean, delicious, and affordable. It's the only place you can go in Granada to get a truly delicious soup. They have an excellent core menu of sandwiches, soup, burritos/quesadillas, salads, and a dessert, as well as a specials menu that changes once per week. I eat here about 4 times per week (and I'm not the only local who does so) and I've never been sick off nor have I ever gotten tired of the food. In fact, I am consistently blown away. They manage to obtain lots of ingredients I didn't know were possible to obtain in Nicaragua.

Some examples of dishes that have been my favorites over the past few months:
- Sweet potato vietnamese curry
- Goan curry made with fresh fish
- Goat cheese and squash torta with spicy hummus (I think I had that one 4 times in a row)
- Fresh arugula, sundried tomato and bechamel fetuccini
- Couscous and organic vegetable salad
- All of the soups I've had: lentil, split pea, beef barley, and ministrone
- and of course the pulled pork sandwich

How to find it:

If you've never been there, it's a bit hard to find. Their sign is rather small and the restaurant is a bit off the beaten path. The restaurant is located at roughly Calle Coralles and Calle Martirio, 20 meters to the East (towards the lake) on the right hand side. It is just down the street towards the lake from Pure Gym and Spa, on the opposite side of Pure.

The hours are 11:30 am - 6:30 pm weekdays only. Prices range from 50 - 150 cord max for the food and tax is included. Drink prices are extremely reasonable (less than a dollar). Great ice tea. If you have a big group I would recommend making a reservation during peak hours as the place is small.

There are only two other restaurants in Granada I would consider to have world class cuisine, but as far as the others are concerned there are only so many times you can eat heavy italian or steak per week, so thank the heavens for el Garaje. Thank you so much el Garaje for being so wonderful. I hope you never close.

1  Thank lala3237

Reviewed December 23, 2012

This place is run by a couple of friendly and talented Canadians. They offer a range of international dishes in a pleasant setting. The prices were quite reasonable and the food quite tasty. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I have to give a bit of a back story to the review before discussing the restaurant. My partner came down with a stomach flu while in Nicaragua and didn't leave the room for a good 24 hour period. Today, after some coaxing, he decided to go have lunch with me. Unsure of where to go, I came to TripAdvisor and decided that El Garaje would be the place based on the reviews as well as the half dozen blocks it took to get there. I figured that would be a good leg stretcher and test for my guy. As we approached the place, the iron door was locked. I peered in and saw his sister and her family having lunch! I figured at that point, all signs were pointing to "great decision"! (when I sat down, she said "I was just saying you would have loved this place...")

Seeing that we have similar culinary tastes, I decided to copy her entree: the chicken tandoori sandwich. It was delicious and came with a side salad, which was fresh and crisp. For 100 cordobas, you can't beat it! You might have to wait a tiny bit for your meal to arrive (the owner and his wife are the kitchen staff!) but the place is pleasant and the food is worth it! Enjoy!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

El Garaje is a couple blocks off the main square but worth the walk! We enjoyed great home cooking.

We would recommend the pulled pork sandwich and the BBQ tandoori sandwich. Both had the perfect amount of spice and were great with the homemade cole slaw. Finished with a passion fruit cheesecake.

Sandwiches and wraps were in the range of $4-5.

It's obvious they care about making great, healthy, creative food, and love doing it!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Fresh, healthy, and well-prepared food in a beautiful space with kind hosts - what more could one possibly want? Highly recommend a visit to Pure Spa (just up the road) before stopping here for a bite. Went there twice for lunch during my week in Granada; will definitely come back during my next visit.