“Excellent!”

Restaurante El Zaguan
Ranked #7 of 172 Restaurants in Granada
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We ate here two nights in a row. The service and the food was excellent.

Their pizzas are especially good. They are thin crust with lovely topings and light cheese. We ordered 4 for a group of 8 and finished easily because they were so good! I highly recommend the Margarita pizza.

3  Thank Taylor K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,582)

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I have taken groups to this restaurant for over ten years. The food is always excellent, the service good, the decor and mood good and the prices reasonable. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

1  Thank gcstrib
Reviewed July 27, 2014

On a recent business trip to Granada, I asked several locals where to go for a good meal on my last night in Colonial Granada. Everyone responded with El Zaguan. After a little confusion on my part (I thought they were saying El San Juan) we were off in the right direction. Just off the square, safe area, Great food! I ordered the Corvina with vegetables, wine and finished with an after-dinner liqueur. The Corvina is served several different ways (I ordered the Corvina with Capers.) Service was impeccable and the atmosphere was quiet, nice. Nice change from the loud, exciting action of the main walking street. Good wine selection. Definitely add this restaurant to your itinerary!

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I seldom write reviews except when I totally disagree with the average rating. This is one of those cases.

I went to this restaurant 3 times with my wife. The first time the food was excellent. I had the best steak I ever had and my wife had an excellent chicken dish. The second time was a couple of days later and I wanted another steak. My wife had Orange chicken and it also was excellent.

My wife raved about the orange chicken and wanted to go back the next day. So we did. That is when the problems occurred. My steak came bloody rare and I ordered medium. I can live with that. I ate about a third of it and was going to take the rest back to the house and I would grill it. My wife wasn't eating her chicken.

She doesn't complain and took a while to get her to say what was wrong. She didn't want to eat the chicken. I tasted it and it was completely inedible. Nothing like the previous day. I cook and have made orange chicken and I have no idea how they made it so bad.

I called the waiter over and complained. He took the chicken and a couple of minutes later another waiter(?) came over to discuss the chicken. I explained the problem and that the chicken was not just not very good but horrible. Offered him to taste it and he declined. He said he would go talk to the chef.

20 minutes later, no response and I asked for the check.

Check came with the full bill for the chicken included. I asked about the chicken and was given a shrug. $45 for a 6 oz steak and a chicken dish is not cheap for Granada.

I will never go back. Ever.

Had I been asked to rate this restaurant after the first meal I would have given it a solid 5 stars. After a horrible meal and screwed on the bill and treated poorly I will never patronize this place again. I believe in sharing my experience with everyone and I hope it teaches the management a lesson. Food is an art and occasionally things go wrong, but treat people right and deal with problems.

6  Thank John T
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Excellent service, professional and a varied menu. I was there with a group of friends coming from USA. We really enjoyed our dinner and I am sure we will come back...

1  Thank Galgo03