“A close second to Jimmy's for great food in Granada”

El Tercer Ojo Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 168 Restaurants in Granada
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: El Tercer Ojo Since 2001 in the heart of Granada Nicaragua. El Tercer Ojo is an element for everyone...Tranquility and good taste. A crucible of flavors and aromas from around the world... This is where the Far East meets the Mediterranean and Americas. We specialze in world cuisine and offer an array of live music events. At Tercer Ojo you will find a plaza with specialty stores selling leather goods and a vintage market selling specialty goods from around the world.
London, Ontario
“A close second to Jimmy's for great food in Granada”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

With just one night left after travelling the country for 2 months, I had eaten at just about every restaurant on La Calzada and most of the ones located away from “Gringo Gulch”
Looking for something different I was faced with two options. A self-promoting “ #1 restaurant”, famously abusing the intellectual property rights of a long dead hero of mine- John Lennon- or the place I finally chose.
At first glance El Tercer Ojo looks like a throwback to the hippie days of the ’70’s with Batik adorned walls. Buddha statues and incense burning. The décor so overwhelms that it takes a while to realize that you are not inside but rather in a small courtyard with the stars as your ceiling.
While Jimmy Three Fingers will always remain my first choice for an evening meal in Granada, the Third Eye was the perfect choice for “something different” on my last night.
A Thai influenced, sweet and sour chicken provided the perfect balance of flavour and texture. Accompanied by rice and a just cooked blend of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower, it was simple yet simply delicious. A caramel custard with a small scoop of icecream was my reward for eating all my vegetables! Service was excellent with wait staff being attentive but not intrusive. I look forward to eating here again on future visits.

• Visited February 2011

Mexico City, Mexico
“What do you expect?”
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I thought the food was good - but I had been traveling through Nicaragua on a tight budget and this was the first "American-ized" meal I'd had in months. I was used to rice, beans, chicken and plantains - ALL DAY/EVERY DAY. I had the ceviche, steak and some Italian red wine. Most expensive meal I had in Central America. So I wouldn't say the food is horrible, but that's coming from the standards of someone who was used to eating bus stop fare.
Tercer Ojo isn't terrible, but it's definitely over-priced. As is all of Granada. Personally I'd skip Granada itself. But if you're going to hang in tourist land, expect to be overcharged. Just sayin'.

• Visited March 2010
Oslo, Norway
“Health hazard!”
Reviewed January 24, 2011

We visited El Tercer Ojo on our last night in Granada. The restaurant had a pleasant and laid back atmosphere, dimmed lighting and colourful decore. Looking at the menu, I got the impression that the wide variety of foods was a bit of an over-reach. The diversity was seemingly too huge for any chef to excel at either of the regional styles of food on offer. Thinking though, that it's hard to mess up cold cuts, olives, bread and sliced cheese, we decided to order from the tapas selection. From a fairly good wine list, we ordered an 18 dollar Malbec.

The bread was the first disappointment. Old, stale and recently reheated, the bread crumbled in my hands as i tried to spread the butter. Fair enough - that's not unusual, but for a restaurant in that price range in Granada you expect more. Then came the olives, the camembert, the gorgonzola and chestnut salad, the plate with cold cuts (chorizo and serrano ham) topped with what was said to be manchego cheese (wait for it...)

The camembert looked fine. The olives on the other hand seemed to have aged well past their best before-date, the salad was brown, and the gorgonzola and chestnut were mixed together in an unappetizing, indistinguishable mash. The cold cuts appeared to have been drenched in oil before serving, and the cheese looked a bit sweaty, but ok. I thought...

After having chewed and swallowed a big piece of manchego, my girlfriend pointed out to me that the cheese had some unusual greenish blue spots. As I examined the cheese closer in the dim lighting of El Tercer Ojo, I could clearly see that all the pieces were infested with mold!

We immediately pointed out to the staff that their cheese had gone bad, at which point the waiter responded - "no, es pimiento." A second waitress on the other hand, confirmed our observation and took the platter with cheese and cold cuts back to the kitchen.

As the waitress came back with the same platter - only the cheese replaced, not the cold cuts underneath - we had completely lost our appetites. We were also - imo - justifiably concerned with the quality of the rest of the food on the table. Not knowing wether or not the camembert, salad or olives would infect us with the likes of e. coli or worse, we feared that another bite of what was on that table might pose a serious health risk. Pointing this out to the waitress, she offered a 50% discount. We asked for the bill, paid less than asking price and left.

(We then went to the Mona Lisa restaurant where they sell pizzas and pastas as good as anywhere - really cheap too!)

Keep away from El Tercer Ojo unless you're willing to play russian roulette with your health!

• Visited January 2011
2 Thank cincocientos
Toronto
“Mediocre at Best”
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I have no idea why all the guide books rave about this place?! The food was good enough, but certainly nothing special and not worth the prices they charge. I also found it interesting that the menu has all items priced in US dollars and yet the final bill is in cordobas :S The restaurant itself is nice and I liked the open air seating area and interesting decor in particular. I am not trying to discourage people from eating here, but please keep your expectations in check since it just didn't measure up in my opinion.

“Only one complaint”
Reviewed December 10, 2010

My friend and I had a nice dinner; mine was kebob, his was steak. My only complaint was that the prices on the menu were in dolares while the bill was in cordobas: the staff couldn't see why this was a problem but there was no way to tell if the bill was correct or not.