“best hotel stay of my trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Terrasol
Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Manila, Philippines
“best hotel stay of my trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

Over a period of 3 1/2 weeks I was travelling in New York, Colombia, and Nicaragua, and stayed in six different hotels. Terrasol in Granada was by far the best. The hotel itself was cosy and charming, and my room, though on the small side, had all the amenities - flatscreen TV, safe (this was a godsend as I could step out anytime without worrying whether to carry my travel documents and spare cash with me or leave them in the room), airconditioner (Granada was quite hot the days I was there), spanking clean bathroom - not to mention a small balcony with a great view of Volcan Mombacho! Breakfast was continental - and delicious; it filled me up very well for my morning. A computer is available at the lobby for guests' use at any time so that I didn't have to go out to an internet cafe to check my email daily. The location too was excellent, between the Parque Central and La Calzada on one side, the less touristry and quieter Xeltava area on the other, and the bus stations to Masaya and Rivas a few blocks to the south. (If I had to cite an aspect that was less than perfect, it would be the rather low lighting in the room which, in evenings, made it a little difficult to read or write.)

But beyond all these (I suppose one can find other hotels with similar or other advantages) was the terrific personal hospitality from the owners and staff. Victor and Katya are warm and wonderful hosts, always available to chat about Granada and Nicaragua, generous with recommendations about dining options - whether budget vigoron places at the park or upscale, and excellent, steak houses - and with advice about transport options, from cheap buses to masaya or private taxis to Managua airport. Simply having them around to chat with lent my stay in Granada a homey feel that is a welcome touch to any travel experience. When they were not around, the young man manning the reception was always smiling and ready to jump at requests for cold drinks or computer use.

No question that if I find myself back in Granada, Terrasol would be my first option.

Room Tip: The owners gave me the option of a room facing the street or an inner one, warning me of possible st...
Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank arthil_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

A memorable experience is one that lasts a life time. For me one of those experiences was found at this little hidden hotel in the Colonial City of Granada. The simplicity of the place, warmth and quiet comfort that the owners have created in this little hidden treasure is hard to find anywhere else. Home away from home. This in no Hilton, but it sure beats it with the great personal service, value and honest care from Victor and Katia which made my brief but memorable experience something to cherish for ever . I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience the Nicaraguan hospitality first hand!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Julio F
Hilton Head , S.C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

Original art , treats your eyes everywhere you look , comfortable beds and rooms with and without air conditioning made our stay very comfortable and an easy location to see all of Granada's sites . In our opinion the creature comforts only tell part of a hotels story . We have stayed in hotels that were palatial but lacked the real comfort that comes from being sincerely welcomed and treated like a guest ! Terrasol is small , perfect...no ,but EVERY request we had in 3 different stays was fulfilled promptly and happily by the owners or staff . Now that is hospitality ! The lobby and cafe areas provide a great spot to socialize with locals and travelers alike . We thought that Terrasol perfectly bridged the gap between the larger hotels that have all the amenity's but are socially sterile and a warm welcoming guesthouse experience . It provided us with the perfect location to live and experience the true Granada . Clean ,Comfortable and priced right made it our choice more than once .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Moken60
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel in the heart of colonial Granada. We loved our visit to the city and especially this hotel with a great atmosphere. The owners are fluent in American English and welcomed us like it was a bed and breakfast. (and breakfast IS included) The rooms are clean, AC, good breakfast, and a great atmosphere. Can not say enough good about how we were treated by the staff. We will definitely make this our hotel when we return to the city.

Room Tip: Rooms along the street with the balcony took longer to cool off from the afternoon sun than an inter...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Doyle R
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

this hotel is very personel home away from home. katia+victor go out of their way for you. the location couldn,t be better. can,t say enough good things about this hotel. will return on next visit to nicaragua

Room Tip: good views from balcony rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank billyr19
La Grande, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Terrasol during Semana Santa. A short easy walk to Parque Central, right near the bus station to Masaya, and close to Pali for the evening snacks. Very clean and well maintained, friendly, helpful staff and of course, Katya and Victor were most gracious hosts. If you like plain and simple and a good value, this is it!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank LittleBigNorm
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

In March 2012 I spent nine nights at Hotel Terrasol in Granada - I felt most welcome even before I arrived, as Victor and Katya (owners) sent their preferred driver to pick me up at the airport in Managua. I paid 40 dollars for this service, but it was a godsend, as I was not prepared to negotiate Managua at night to arrange a shuttle, etc. I was so impressed with Roger, their contracted driver, that I hired him to take me out on individual tours of the region on two different days of my stay...Excellent ! I learned a lot !

My room was on the 2nd floor - I think it needs to be said on the website that all rooms are on the 2nd & 3rd floors, accessible only by stairs. Good stairs with sturdy handrails, however. They helped me by carrying my suitcase upstairs, as I can't do those sorts of things.

The rooms all seem to be on the small side, but perfectly adequate. The hotel is 4 years old, and is very well maintained. Very comfy bed, good furniture, lovely sheets and towels, pretty bathroom, A/C and fan both in good working order, also silent ! - and cable TV with many choices of channels. There is a safe in each room to store ones valuables, which was much appreciated. Spotlessly clean, very quiet. I loved the original artwork on the walls everywhere, in the rooms, in the halls, and in the dining room & reception area downstairs. Food for the soul.

The standard breakfast they provide is a Continental breakfast - this was not clear on their website - but they graciously agreed to change mine, as I am a recently diagnosed diabetic, and worried about what I need to be eating, etc.

I was disappointed that their restaurant is no longer open, as it would have been very convenient for me, but there are many many choices of good places to eat nearby. A taxi anywhere in the city costs 10 Cordobas (40 cents US), so very do-able, frequently.

The staff at Hotel Terrasol are incredible ! From the ladies who clean & also serve breakfast - to the front desk staff - personable young men - the experience was stellar !

Victor and Katya are there, "hands on", every morning to help their guests. They are outgoing, friendly, helpful, interesting and most knowledgeable, will book tours with the best operators (with no extra fees) - they cheerfully answer all questions and offer information about anything Nicaraguan. They are a Nicaraguan couple who have spent considerable time in the US, but returned to Granada to be close to family and start this business - hence fluent English and Spanish. They sincerely want to make their guests' experience of Granada as great as it can be, which is much appreciated !

Katya wrote all over the complimentary city centre map with the places I needed to go, and in the current Granada magazine ticked off all the eating places she would recommend, based on what I told her. Extraordinarily helpful ! (Even with the map I tended to get lost, but it was never a problem. Granadinos - the locals - are helpful and friendly - the city is very safe - and I always got to where I wanted to go...)

I would most enthusiastically recommend Hotel Terrasol - budget priced accommodation, but with first class service, in all ways !

written by Audrey, from Vancouver, Canada.

Room Tip: Choose to have A/C in your room, even if you're not a big fan of same. Granada can get very ver...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo