“A lovely place to find peace and quiet!”

The Spa Resort Koh Chang
Ranked #14 of 73 Hotels in Ko Chang
Cologne, Germany
“A lovely place to find peace and quiet!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Are you looking for a place of tranquility and peace? Then this remote spa is the place to go! I stayed in the resort from December 9-14 and checked in the Single Room Cottage. Right after check in Beer (the only beer I have seen through my entire stay), the kind and lovely guest relations manager, provided me with all the information needed to decide on a treatment. There are plenty of treatments to choose from, however you can stay there without taking one and just enjoy the place itself. The room was lovely and tasteful with lost of space. Drinking water and tea is complimentary with a free refill every day. The staff also put up scented candles which gives your room a homy atmosphere. The treatments are very professional and you can always ask for help any time. Just one of the highlights: The massages, I had the oil treatment and a facial and it made me feel 10 years younger. The day started with a session of free meditation and yoga in the lovely yoga sala. I did not try that much of the food as I were doing the 3,5 day fasting treatment, the stuff I had (mostly salads and fruit was tasty and lovely). Make sure to plan a kayaking trip or a trip to the nearby beach with Mao (she always smiles and tells you funny stories). You can also rent a mountain bike. If you want to go for the up-and-down-up-and-down-up-and-down bike/trekking ride to Long Beach, take plenty of water and do not do it right after fasting as you might be too weak for it (I definitely was and it was not that much fun - at all). The Spa does have some ancient fitness room equipment. If you are brave enough you can use it. I wasn't. I especially enjoyed their sense for sustainability: I did not see one plastic water bottle during my entire stay and the waste water is purified for plant watering. If you want to take a break from your life or from your backpacking Asia trip in a peaceful and tranquil environment please visit the Spa Koh Chang Resort, it is definitely worth a trip!!!!!!

Room Tip: Room 101 was lovely, close to the reception area and absolutely quiet! Just lovely!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank PamyK
spateam, Guest Relations Manager at The Spa Resort Koh Chang, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Miss Pamela,

Greeting from The Spa Koh Chang Resort! Thank you very much for your visit and your very good feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and health package.
Thank you again for your kind support and hope to see your return to The Spa Koh Chang as your convenience.

Have a great season !

Beer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Thai first
Bunbury
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

This place is on the east coast of the island and well away from the hustle and bustle of the more busier west side.

I cant talk this place up ennough, exceptional service, exceptional food. Rooms are simple and are wooden air cond structures with well appointed bathroom.

Thanks for a great holiday and we will be back for sure!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rob S
Lancashire
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The Koh Chang Spa Resort is absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the Upperhill cottage and had lovely views of the jungle surrounding us.
A lady called Maw met us on our arrival who was very sweet and very helpful. Maw took us to the harbour/lighthouse one night that unless you knew where it was, you’d never find it, so it’s worth asking about and going to visit, especially at dusk. There’s also a new fish restaurant just opened near there that we went to. We had a lovely three course meal there. It’s surrounded by a pond and lovely at night, worthwhile going to.
The room had plenty of facilities, the bed was also really comfortable and the bathroom has the biggest bath in it you’ve ever seen (although it is a bit too hot for a bath). Our room was cleaned and left immaculate every day too.
The staff are all very lovely and can’t do enough to help. The food is very nice but very vegan. The Koh Chang Spa Resort is most definitely a place for people to go to for those who are into self-cleansing, detox, self-healing, yoga etc. Very Zen!

For us it was a perfect place for a romantic getaway and only forty minutes away from the main town which is easy enough to get to by hiring a scooter or by car. We hired the car onsite so it’s worth enquiring about if you want to tour around the island. We enjoyed being at the Spa and being able to travel to/from what Koh Chang has to often as and when.

At the spa we also took advantage of hiring the kayaks and sailed through the mangroves out to the sea and parked up at a little bay, across from the fisherman’s village. Was really lovely and we’d highly recommend doing it. It’s safe enough and the waters only shallow, so you needn’t worry about falling in, I checked.

I also had a massage that day and it was heavenly, one of the best I’ve ever had. After a long flight I always seem to suffer from bad circulation and my feet tend to swell up a little. I’d booked in for a shoulder neck back and stomach massage and the lady noticed how swollen my feet were and massaged my legs and feet at no extra cost. Because the lady, in my opinion, went above and beyond in that respect and because of how good the massage was, I decided to tip her which was very much appreciated. I’m not sure if they are used to this, she was over the moon. So I think it does go along way if you do decide to tip.

About twenty minutes down the road is a restaurant that caters for everyone called ‘Amber Sands’ owned and ran by a lovely South African couple. We had a lovely meal there and certainly recommend dropping by.

The spa at night is just magical and on our last day here, we got engaged! Was just perfect.

The Koh Chang Spa is a special place to us and one that we hope to return to in the future!

Highly recommended.

(Will post some pics soon. The one's on here don't really do it much justice).

Room Tip: Book the upper hill cottage or ask for a room with a view. The shop onsite doesn't provide much...
1 Thank vikkiandste
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We have been to Ko Samui and Phuket so on this trip we decided to give Koh Chang a try based on other reviews. This hotel is not a 4 star property in any part of the world much less Thailand which has some of the best hotels and service in the world. We had spent a few days in Bangkok so we decided to take the Eastern Shore sightseeing trip that is advertised on the glossy hotel website as Pattaya, Rayong,Chantanaburi, and Trat for 7500 baht (Approx $250 USD). I confirmed this by email and reconfirmed this with the hotel. We were picked up at 8am in Bangkok and started out traffic free. At about 11, I asked the driver when we would arrive in
Pattaya and he said we weren't going there. He had been told to take a different route. After a phone call to the hotel, we determined that there was no time to backtrack so we continued on for a basic lunch, a 15 minute stop at the Catholic cathedral in Chantanaburi, another 20 minute stop at a small Wat in Trat, 30 minutes at the drivers house and 40 minutes waiting for the ferry.
I HIGHLY recommend avoiding this bait and switch trip.
We also had booked a land transfer to Phnom Penh following our stay. That did not include sightseeing and went off without a hitch.

We had chosen the single hill room. We are experienced fasters and knew we did not want to climb to the hill rooms while we were fasting. Our room was good size with a nice balcony. the chairs on the balcony were hardwood and did not have cushions so they were basically useless. The room had a refrigerator, safe, stereo and an ancient TV with BBC. The Wifi did not work for 1 full day and was intermittant on other days. Our room had a tub like the one with the flowers in it on the web site however we were told at check in that we could not use it because of water issues. That left us using the shower. To get into the shower you have a large step up then and second step balancing on the curved concrete seat. The shower has a rainforest head but it is mounted too close to the wall so to use it you have to straddle the faucet. The water is hot around 7 am the rest of the day it is warm. Housekeeping is minimal and the towels should be replaced, they are terribly worn and many have bleach stains.

We decided on our fast plan when we reached the hotel. We chose the 5/6 package which included spa credits, steam credits, yoga and a food credit. There are two actual fast programs a 3 day and a 7 day. All the rest of the pricing and packages are some combination of pre fast meals and credits for activities. The fast is good but there is only a 5 page instruction booklet and
a ten minute colonic instruction. This could make things difficult for first timers. The fast also contains lots of pill to take with no ingredients on labels so if you are allergic or take medications you will need to be careful. Also Thailand is a fruit country so the fast has lots of fruit in it. People with sugar issues will face limited choices in a green menu. From our experience, take the 3 day fast and buy the activities you want as they are available. I say this because there was no wheatgrass for 5 day of our 8 night stay, no yoga for 2 days, although the days it was available it was a good level one class. It took us two days to get the massage staff to use the traditional massage tables with a face hole for the oil massage instead of the Thai massage
tables, Its not a good practice to have a traditional massage with your neck and head twisted.
The steam room is good and the changing/shower rooms are small but Ok. The pool is Ok but they have a shortage of lounges and the lounges are a complete mish mash of styles and levels of repair. There is a pool bar list but no pool personnel to bring drinks or clean up left towels and put out cushions. Everything is self serve, you have to walk to the restaurant to get a drink and carry it back. Also the prices are $3-4USD per glass of juice. We pay that in Southern California
but I had expected the price to be less here.

The location is isolated. Its a 30-40 minute ride the Whites Sands so hotel activities and reading are pretty much it. People have mentioned kayaking. The kayaking center is in sad shape and
the walkway from the pool to it has many rotting boards. The mangrove lagoon water is murky so we passed on that activity.

Bottom line, the fast is good and hotel is expensive for the service and state of facilities.

4 Thank voyager52
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We recently booked a package holiday through E-Bookers to Koh Chang and were advised that the 'The Spa Resort Koh Chang was a 4 star retreat. We arrived expecting good standards but were met with very basic facilities and the bedrooms were of poor standards. The resort was very removed from any amenities. Go with an open mind and do not have any expectations for style or luxury. Very disappointing experience!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
spateam, General Manager at The Spa Resort Koh Chang, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Ms.Sarita

Thank you for your review for us. Please kindly understand that we do not rate our resort as the 4 stars property. The actual room design, decoration and facilities, as well as pricing of the 3 stars standard. The Oriental room (standard room) that you booked cost 1,650 baht (33 GBP or 55 USD) at that time, which is clearly not a 4-star facility's pricing even in Thailand.
I, hereby insist that we did NOT put the 4-star standard on the website. It is a very suicidal risk to disappoint our guests because we are not 4 stars.

Furthermore we are a little curious how you could rate some aspects of our property, such as sleeping quality and value as you spent less than 60 minutes in our resort and most of the time in the lobby area. We are asking for the fairness as clearly the rating is not from your experience. In fact, it would be much more appreciated if you really did stay overnight with us and give this rating because we respect our guests' legitimate comments.

In term of the service, it was quite a shame that we did not have any chances to provide you and your husband other services, apart from greeting with welcome fruits and drink and letting you use our computer.

We hope that next time you would visit us with an open mind and let us have a chance to do our work before being judged.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We are a huge fan of he Spa Resort in Koh Samui and so decided to go to Koh Chang for a change. First and foremost I would like to thank the staff who were better than any 5 star resort. Really first class. The food as always, the best around - genuinely. And a beautiful resort - Our room (Upper Hill) as lovely as you could hope for.

However, I would give the following advice to future guests.

If you want a view, ask for one. Do not assume Upper Hill gives you a view. Despite a lovely room, we had no view whatsoever. Just jungle. So do ask.

The baths are so big you cant really fill them. But hey, do you really go to thailand for hot baths!

But the key point is this. This resort is way off the beaten path. Koh Chang itself is Koh Samui 20 years ago and in itself is the quietest of the islands. But to get to any sort of beach or life is a good 40 minutes.

If you want to really get away from things, this place is great. But as it is off the beaten path on a quiet island, it does lack the buzz and vibe that the Spa Koh Samui has. They were also prone to not stock things, I imagine due to low demand. No bananas two days running was not good given it is a key ingredient. Any extras also tended to be expensive, certainly as expensive as any hotel on Koh Chang.

My wife is the Vegan, and I am the foody who loves the ethos and spirit of the Spa Resorts and will continue to return. This place is heaven if you want to really get away from everything and I think is a five star resort with the flab removed. We had a lovely week. But don't think you will be popping out to markets or beaches. That said, you must kayak the Mangroves out to the sea. It is heavenly and not advertised. We sadly discovered it on our last day and would love to have done it at dawn.

I could have marked down a star for the small things noted, but I really think that the management and staff were so extraordinarily brilliant, I would feel guilty! Thank you one and all, and I hope you don't feel I have been unfair on the location.

Room Tip: Ask, don't assume. They wont dupe you.
1 Thank alexanderlewis
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Ive been to the Spa Resort Chaing Mai and was keep to check out this sister property. On arrival we were greeted by Beer, guest relations manager and a refreshing towel and juice. He was very professional and attentive. The staff were all great although limited english. The restaurant was fantastic with an extended menu. My husband raved about the Pad Thai !! Free use of kayaks. The waterways through the mangroves were quite smelly since fishing villages are on the banks of the river. Taking the free shuttle on Fridays to Koh Chang town was a good thing to do, leaving the peace and quiet of the resort behind. I highly recommend the snorkeling outing. At only 700 Thai baht or a full day including lunch cooked on this traditional wooden boat, a very authentic experience. Massage girls did a great job. Treat yourself to as many treatments during your stay.
We had an enjoyable stay and would love to return one day !!

Room Tip: Upper town house. We stayed in 221. Roomy, comfortable
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mercia B
spateam, Guest Relations Manager at The Spa Resort Koh Chang, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Mrs. Mercia,

Thank you very much for your kind support visiting our resort the past few weeks. We were happy having you and were pleased to serve you. Hope to see you and your husband again next visit to Koh Chang.

Best regards,