“Seaside meal”

V.J. Searenity Koh Chang
Ranked #40 of 73 Hotels in Ko Chang
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I only had the one meal here at V.J.'s. It is next to Amari Emerald Cove Resort on the right hand side,
We had a small table of the beach, we ate abt 6.15pm so a bit early to see how many diners arrived. We had a meal of fried rice with chicken. Not been hugh eaters it was a good size for us to share.
We did not inside so cannot comment on the hotels interior.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 22, 2014

The VJ's restaurant is around 100 metres right of the Amari Emerald, as you walk onto the beach. It is pleasantly cooled by electric fans and I enjoyed my Yum Ton sour soup with pork, ginger, lemon grass and mushrooms. My wife's Pad Thai was fine, with glass noodles, no egg (unusual), prawns and spring onions. Our two beers were served in (yes!) chilled glasses.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel starts out ok. Although the hallways and exterior are a bit dated, the price we paid was 1500B/night for a double which was reasonable for what we got: A nice tile bathroom, a clean and spacious room with balcony and fridge, breakfast included, and a very nice beach out back. The 50B/hour price for internet was the first rub in the wrong direction of many to follow. Use of the "sauna" costs 400 baht per person, when I asked to for some limes I was told the cost would be 20B each when a lime at the market costs maybe 3B. On entering the restaurant at 10:03 one morning (three minutes late) which was nearly empty, I was told I could not redeem my breakfast coupon. Later, I asked 4 maids chatting in the service room to please refresh the room and on returning to the room, found they did not. The shower water was never hot (almost hot when I showered at 3AM) and there were very few people staying when we were there.
This hotel has all of the ingredients to be a great place, but with price gouging on everything and very little to make one feel welcome in the actions of their staff, I went elsewhere for my everything during my stay. There are too many nice people in Thailand to stay with folks who aren't.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Josh G
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked a 4 night long weekend "package" with my partner (ie bus, ferry, hotel) to escape the madness of Pattaya for a few days, and what a contrast! Ideally situated right on the beach is this idyllic place, with every luxury you could want.. but at a price. The rooms were excellent, though in future I'd ask for a room on the left-hand side (even numbered) reason being that the wifi is 50 baht an hour here but you can access the free wifi on this side from the hotel next door. Buffet breakfast (inclusive) was second to none, also afternoon/evening meals available by candle light on the beach, though they are a little bit pricey. Wasn't there long enough to use the in-house laundry service but there's a laundry within walking distance that will wash and press your clothes the same day if you put them in before 11am. Hiring a motorbike is a must for getting around the island, the alternative being the rather expensive taxis. Would definitely return at a later date.

Room Tip: Rooms with even numbers have access to the free wifi of the Amari Hotel next door. The rest are 50 b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Supeter
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Koh Chang is an expensive place to holiday so, it's hard to find a good property at a reasonable price.

VJ's is overpriced for what it is but, I still enjoyed my time here. The hotel is worn out and dated and the best thing they have going for it is the beautiful beach it's located on.

The worst thing about the hotel was checkout. We needed to leave early to catch the ferry in time to catch our bus/flight. We stood around at reception for 15-20 minutes and there was no one around. We went to the restaurant to get someone...still no one available. We ended up just dropping our key and leaving. Unfortunately, we missed our ferry and were left with no option but to take a death-defying mini-van ride to Bangkok.

The bed was comfortable but the shower didn't work well (next to no hot water). Despite being close to the pool, it was nice and quiet. No WiFi. The included breakfast wasn't great ...bad coffee. The pool was nice and had a nice view of the ocean and beach. We ate dinner there one night...nothing remarkable but the staff were nice and friendly. Plenty of food options along the beach and there is some great Thai food not far as you head to the town of Koh Chang (great little truly Thai food place 500 meters away across from Coco Massage by a Thai guy named Lek. Nothing fancy but cheap and the best around).

I would stay in this area again but I don't think I would stay at VJ's again. For the little extra there are some much nicer places. Or, if you don't mind roughing it a bit, there are cheap huts just up the beach.

For those trying to decide where to stay on Koh Chang... WhiteSand for a busy party area (can't see the beach for the hotels), near Koh Chang for a more Thai experience with nice open beaches, Bang Bao for a quiet getaway (beautiful bay with a fishing village)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mowgus
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I do not know where to start. There are so many things we were not satisfied with, ranging from the shabby rooms with no view of the ocean to the poor service from the personnel. The pool area is a bit old and in need of a makeover. In addition, the area with the murky, smelly river was not very exciting. The beach is fine and the elephant camp is near. But I would strongly advice to choose another hotel when at Koh Chang.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AnalenaG
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Would have spent all 3 weeks here if I hadn't paid for other locations. Pool overlooks ocean, lovely cocktails and ice cold beer. Can kayak to small islands close by. Elephant treks just down the road. Great breakfast and extremely helpful staff. Ideal for the relaxing holiday. Highly recommend the seaview rooms, well worth the extra money. We can't wait to return. If they read these.....See you again soon!!

• Stayed: October 2012