“Great Family Escape” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 72 Hotels in Ko Chang
Bangkok
“Great Family Escape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed 2 weekends ago with my family in a Cabana Suite, large living space, walk in shower with a big bathtub. The room was about 2 minutes walk to the beach. Some Cabana Suite are located closer to the beach. The room we had was on the top floor and very quiet. Bed was confortable.
Great property with 2 swimming pools, one next to the beach and another one in the back of the resort (Splash pool). My 4 years old son had a blast (and me too) on the waterslide at Splash. We enjoyed delicious Chi Chi’s made from the very friendly K.Som : the Bartender. We would definitely recommend this hotel for any families, there’s also a small kids club near the beach
My wife had a 2.5 hours massage and is still raving about it…
We will definitely come back. Tks again Centara Tropicana !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Pius L, General Manager at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Matgilroy

Warm greetings from Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort.

On behalf of the entire team, we would like to thank you for taking a few moments to share your experience with us.

Your very positive comments on our performance has been well received by all of us; indeed a great motivator to all our staff. We especially appreciate your comments about our Cabana Suite. We very happy to hear that you also enjoyed our Splash pool with the waterslide, the lovely cocktails made by our Bartender and that your wife enjoyed the massage treatment at our Cenvaree Spa.

We look forward of having the pleasure to welcome you back at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort in the near future.

Pius M. Luechinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

My friend and I stopped here for 7 nights. The staff are very friendly and always wear a smile!
We were given a twin cabana room, but asked for a change as the room 215 had no view what so ever with just plants growing onto the balcony......very dull indeed. However when asked for a exchange at reception the staff were more than willing to help and we were given a room in the hotel 4208 which was much larger and bright!

The breakfast is great however we paid for an evening meal one night at the buffet and it was very disappointing, also the drinks are so over priced compared to the rest of the bars etc.....you think they would encourage you to stay and spend but not at them prices.

The sunset bar was nothing like the brochure pictures.....not one red bean bag in sight! however a few plastic chairs were scattered about. This could simply be correct!!!

That's the only negative things about the hotel, everything else was fantastic the settings and the location are fantastic. Hired two scooters from the tour place at the hotel for £7.00 a day, this was a fantastic way to get about the island.

Would return without a doubt 100%

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pius L, Manager at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear Maxine G

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience with us at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort. We always appreciate receiving guest comments so that we may review our performance and strive to maintain the highest standard of service for our guests.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Many thanks for complimenting our breakfast and the friendly staff. Also very glad to know that you consider our location and setting fantastic.

Cabana 215 is Deluxe Cabana with an outdoor shower. The size of the Deluxe Cabana are actually larger than the Deluxe Rooms.The Cabanas Rooms have a more tropical decor. Each room category has its own advantage. We appreciate your comments.

We offer two Buffets per week: Thai Heritage Buffet on Tuesday at Bht 599net and Beach BBQ Buffet on Saturday at Bht 699net. We are not sure why you were disappointed with our Buffet as we normally receive good comments on our Buffet and it is also reasonably priced. Kindly note that our beverage prices are not overpriced. You can not compare our beverage prices with prices in the street/super market. Street bars do not pay taxes and pay much lower salary (often even below government requirements).

We are in the process of replacing all the plastic chairs. We agree that the plastic chairs does not suits our style and image. The red bean bag are also made of plastic and we are also trying to find a more environment friendly solution to replace them.

We look forward of welcoming you to back at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I hadn't been here for 15 minutes before I realised I was shouting at the poor unsuspecting receptionist who had shown us to our room . Looking back at it I realised I was probably overreacting to the bed set up in the deluxe cabana not being what I requested , but after a 20 hour trip all sensibilities were shot to pieces. I won't go into this point as although I was not satisfied with what I got , the hotel did offer to make amends and I cannot fault them for that.
This is a beautiful hotel in great settings , lovely beach and good staff. There's a lot to like here , but sadly I won't return mainly for something that is probably out of their control.
There is a river next to the property which for far too much of day , seems to bring with it the effluent of the neighbouring hotels. The smell when the breeze is in the wrong direction is very unpleasant . Fortunately they have another area at the rear of the hotel with a second , and really great , pool setup up which we could retreat to. Personally , when I book a hotel of this caliber I don't want to have to deal with things like this. Maybe I am just too fussy .
Another negative is the mosquitoes. I know this is a fact of life in any hot climate, but they are not helping buy having pools of dark water scattered throughout the property. Although they are very attractive, they are a breeding ground for these little blighters. I have stayed in some hotels where they accept this and spray regularly and offer deterents in the rooms. Here, there is nothing. On the third request I was sent one device and an empty can of repellent. Not satisfactory I am afraid. I am currently counting my 23rd bite. It's never been this bad.
Another small negative is that the hotel is situated quite far back frm the main road so the walk to get there is quite long and at night time really not great. If you get a taxi back to the hotel please make sure you negotiate a price to the front door as some drivers try to dump you on the main road and it's a walk you don't really want to make.
Finally the food. The breakfast buffet is pretty good, with a good choice and constantly replenished which is great. The egg station tend to over prepare so there is always a pile of omelettes and fried eggs ..that's good and bad depending on your perspective .
We tried lunch once, and although it was very tasty there were too many unfresh ingredients used. Tinned coconut and mushrooms, and the frozen squid was one of the toughest I have ever eaten . 100m down the beach is the most excellent Pilot bar where they serve everything fresh and delicious and at a fraction of the price so really no reason why the hotel cannot offer the same quality. As a result we never tried the freshly prepared dinners at the hotel which looked great , but once we had tested the alternatives we were hooked which is not good for the hotel I would think..
It's a shame really because I really like this hotel. There is a good ambience here, the staff are excellent ( with the exception of the ones who were supposed to provide the mosquito spray) . The swimming pools are good and the beach lovely. The constant breeze off the sea makes for a great temperature, so long as it is not blowing the bad smells with it.
Having walked along a lot of the surrounding beaches , this was the only place with the smell which makes it not the preferred choice when it comes to coming to this island again.
Point to note this hotel is very popular with the Russians, who seem to have no sense of smell. I guess it will become more and more popular with them in the future.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Captain B

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with us at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort.

You booked a Deluxe Cabana with a Request for Double Bed so was also your booking confirmed (subject to availability upon arrival!). As we were running full house, we assigned you a Twin Bed Room. After you insisted of a Double Bed, we managed to offer you a Double Bed Cabana, but you still refused it. You requested same size of rooms and close to the Beach. Even we tried to explain you that our Twin Rooms are slightly larger than the Double Rooms.

The River next to our property comes down from the mountain and does not bring effluent of the neighboring hotels. As you clearly mention, mosquitoes are normally in this part of the world. Our water ponds are used to watering our garden and are far away from the beach and have no influence to our hotel guest. We understand that some guests are more sensible than others. A mosquito spray may help and is available in any shops. We do have a weekly Pest Control system in place. (Environment friendly fogging system).

Our hotel is located only 3-4 minutes walking from the main road where you can find many restaurant and shops. We offer as much as possible fresh food. The tinned coconut milk you is used in all restaurants and hotels; it is standard to all Thai curries as real coconut milk cannot be used. We offer during the day many Grilled items at our Beach Grill, which are all reasonably priced and in line with any surroundings restaurants.

Koh Chang is in general quite popular with Russians, not only at our hotel. But as we see that European Tour Operator is becoming more familiar with this Island, the number of Russian Tourist is actually declining.

Despite all the inconvenience you experienced during your stay, we still hope that you had a memorable stay on the Island of Koh Chang.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed in Koh Chang Tropiciana Resort twice, one in 2010, the latest one is 2013. As i stayed in Oct 2013, it's not a peak season in Koh Chang (peak season will be Nov), so the resort was renovating the resort during my stay. well....i had a good experience in 2010 so i re-stayed in 2013.

value for money of the room type Deluxe King Room, better than Cabana (as i stayed in first 3 nights in Cabana with a bad experience.) wonderful sunset view on the beach.

what's my bad experience, i called total 3 times to the front dest for asking help in one day (1. no cool air from air-conditioner, 2. low pressure of the shower sprinkler (u can not take a shower with such dripping, seems no water from the sprinkler), 3. the main wood door locked so we cannot back to our room even we have a key, even 2 strong men tried to open it (we need to wait the maintenace staff over 30 mins in the terrace). actually, so disappointed for this inefficient service.

the beach is not fit for swimming, too many coral on the beach, be careful! but the view is very nice.

so it's not worth to say in Cabana with such price, the deluxe king room is better than Cabana if compare with the facilities, not the view and environment.

Room Tip: Cabana is good but u better check all facilities before unload your luggage. actually deluxe king r...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Pius L, General Manager at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear Dull D

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in 2010 and therefore you have returned again in October 2013. Despite October is not considered the real high season, October is still a busy time in Koh Chang.

Kindly accept our apology for the shortfall of service you experienced during your stay with us.
We will revise our training plans to improve our standards to match your expectations for your next visit.

We noted your preference of the Deluxe Rooms over our Cabana Rooms. Each room type has its own design/layout, depending of what room experience you are looking for.

Nevertheless, we are happy to your that you had a relaxing stay with us.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

First, I ant to precise that I did not stay in any room and ONLY tried the restaurant along the beach. It was very good and very cheap. My girlfriend and I had 2 salads, 2 beef tenderloin from New Zealand and 2 Ice cream for dessert. In addition, 2 mojitos, 1 Mai Tai and 1 cappuccino. Total 2500 THB….. Why so cheap…. food was really good and surrounding was pleasant.

Only hiccup was the service. Like many huge place as this one you have an army of waiter, however it is very difficult to catch they attention as they spend most of the time speaking to each other. Furthermore, nobody come to your table asking if every thing ok. Luckily I am a simple person and do not need any additional sauce, salt etc…. but it can be frustrating if happen all the meal long.

Overall enjoyable.

Room Tip: The beef tenderloin was very good and hell cheap...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roger C
Pius L, General Manager at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear Roger C

Your comments on our service in the restaurant have been well noted and we apologize for the shortfall of service. We will revise our training plans to improve our standards and match your expectations for your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you to back at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort in the near future.

Espoo, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed at Centara Koh Chang in February for almost two weeks. The resort is very big and depending on your room / cabana, you might have a long walk to the beach and the restaurant.
We stayed in a superior deluxe room (they are all far away from the beach) on the 2nd floor in the 1st block, but changed after a few days closer to the cabanas, where our travel companions stayed. That was a mistake. We ended up in a room at 1st floor in block 4. While we arrived in the evening to the new room, it was filled with mosquitos. After the first night I also understood why the room had probably been so well aired: it had a very damp smell. We smelled the pillows and they smelled like mould. We asked them to be changed and the very kind personnel changed them. It did not help much, so after few nights I understood that the smell came from the matress. I asked the personnel again to do something, but they could not really help. There is a problem with probably also the other lower rooms, because they never dry out. The lush gardens need much water and the sun never comes in to these block 4 rooms. You could not for example get your swimming wear dry on the terrace.
Otherwise we liked the stay, but it really did not feel worth the money at the superior room.
The resort gardens are very pretty, pools are good - however they both close already at 7pm- water slide was very nice for our small boys as well as the Kids Club facilities - even though there never were other kids (except 1-2 year old chuldren with their parents). Prices of the restaurant and the spa/ beach massage are almost double than elsewhere. Luckily that is easily solved, with good massage places nearby and a really nice Pilot Bar - restaurant close by.
The cabana did not smell bad, but otherwise I do not think it was worth the extra money.

Room Tip: If you choose a superior room, ask one on the second floor! Block 1 has the longest way to the beach...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sun_makes_me_smile
Dear Sun_makes_me_smile

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience your stay at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort.

The superior rooms where you stayed are indeed the further away from the beach and restaurant than the cabanas, but it still does not takes more than 2-3 minutes walking to the beach.

We are located on a tropical island and the sun should not enter the room as you would complain about the heat. Each room has a terrace or balcony where the sun can be enjoyed. All of the buildings have similar sunshine. The swimsuits will get try very fast because of the heat. Putting cloths into the sun will fade them as the sun is very strong here. There is no difference of the rooms, lower floor or second floor. We checked the mattress, they are not wet neither moldy.

Kindly note that, as in most hotels in Thailand, the pools closes at 19:00 for safety reasons. It would be to dangerous to swim in the dark.

We are very happy to hear that beside your comments of your room, you enjoyed your stay with us; in particularly our beautiful garden, our activities and our two swimming pools.

As an International Hotel, we put high standards towards hygienic. Therefore, our prices in the restaurant and bars may be slightly higher than other local operated restaurants, the same applies in your country.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Centara Koh Chang Tropicana if your travel brings you again to this tropical island.

Pattaya, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed here with friends and really enjoyed the laid back and relaxed style. Staff are wonderfull and went out of their way to make us feel right at home. The resort is well maintained, plenty of things to do, on a nice beach (although low tide its a long way to the water). Breakfast selection is very good, we did not try dinner or lunch. The pool at the beach can get a bit crowded but the one out near reception is quieter with a nice swim up bar and waterslide. Nice place on a nice island in a nice location, well worth the visit.

Room Tip: Go for a bungalow!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Klokani
Pius L, General Manager at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Klokani,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your stay at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort. It was a great pleasure to have you stay with us. Your very positive comments on our performance has been well received by all our staff.

We are very pleased to hear that you in particularly enjoyed the friendliness of our staff , our nice beach, our good breakfast and the nice location of the resort.

We look forward of having the pleasure of welcoming you back at Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort in the near future.