“Great beach, BAD hotel”

Ranked #37 of 72 Hotels in Ko Chang
San Francisco, California
“Great beach, BAD hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was our second trip to Koh Chang as we fell in love with this island four years ago. This time our stay was not as pleasant as first time. We had two couples and a 3 year old child. We booked the most expensive room here, the Beach Villa during Dec 26-January 2013, that was over $500/night during High Season. The Beach Villa had a large living/bedroom and also a separate bedroom/bathroom to accomodate another couple. BE AWARE!! THE BEACH VILLA IS INFESTED WITH FLYING TERMITES!!! Millions of them. The day after we arrived, everyone was napping and I was enjoying a beautiful sunset on the deck, when I turned around and saw MILLIONS flying termites INSIDE the villa while my 3 year old son was sleeping in the middle of it. I called the front desk and they sent the cleaning crew. All they did is spray the termites and they started falling all over the floor. That happened to us pretty much every or every other day at sunset. The guy who was trying to clean it up and help us with this situation said it was ongoing problem. They don't seem to care about it. Well, that alone pretty much killed my excitement about this place. In addition, my money was stolen from my wallet during the time of cleaning. I had $300 stolen, I AM 100% sure when and where and how much I had and how much was left after the cleaning crew left. Other ppl also said their money were missing and one lady said her iPod was gone.. not good.. If you decide to stay here, use the PAID safe at the front desk. Here is my thought on the overall experience.. we live in San Francisco and have traveled all over the world. We enjoyed Thailand before, but found that prices went up about 40% from 4 years ago (we always travel during peak season, x-mas & new years). Koh Chang is becoming overdeveloped with lots of construction, overbuilding and much higher prices. It seems there were only Russian tourists there.. we are also Russians and love our former countrymen, but there used to be diversity here with ppl from other countries, which we enjoyed. I can say ONE GOOD thing about this resort is the BEACH here is the best.. best location, chairs and shade. Food at the restaurant is bad. This is a barely 3 star hotel. I feel for the money we spent, I would rather spend it some place else with better service. Also, there was never a wet cleaning during our 2+ week stay, only sweeping the floors. Especially with all these bugs, dead and alive, the room felt dirty.. I had to ask to change the linens.

Room Tip: Another couple stayed at a Cliff Delux room with their own private pool.. that room was GREAT! I th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

The infinity pool is at the very top of the hill but is worth the walk up there, it could benefit from a bar but that the lack of one ensures it is usually deserted. The bridal party had the hill top rooms with a plunge pool out the back; they are VERY nice but pricey. We stayed in an older room mid way down the hill; it had great sea views with a large deck area. The onsite catering is best avoided, they can do a basic breakfast but anything further takes a long time to receive. There are a few decent restaurants and bars in the area especially the Pirate Bar just down the road.
The beach is nice and secluded and the sea front massage place is really worth a visit.

Room Tip: The cliff top rooms and sea view rooms are the best options. I would avoid the beach level chalets...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
KCCB_Team, Manager at Koh Chang Cliff Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your kind words about our Cliff View Deluxe room with private pool. I am glad to hear that you loved our location and what the rooms have to offer. We do try our best to make sure that you have the best holiday possible with us.

Every year we undertake a huge amount of maintenance work to try to ensure that our guests have an enjoyable stay with us.

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience of our restaurant. We have investigated the situation further and the restaurant will be undergoing some changes in the very near future to improve the standards and service experienced by our guests.

Lastly, our reservations team continually research the market to try and keep our prices as competitive as possible therefore we apologise if you feel that our prices were expensive. We are in the process of sorting out our pricing for the New Year so we will make certain to discuss this issue.

We do hope that you would consider returning to our resort sometime in the future to experience the changes we have made, as we would love to welcome you back.

Thank you again for your feedback.

KCCB Team
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and I had a fantastic time at Cliff Beach.
Its reasonably priced, you can walk (or motorbike) down the strip to shop and eat at local places (if you go there, the BEST place to eat was O2, [like the symbol for water]) and there are plenty of reasonably priced activities like elephant riding and snorkelling if you get bored of swimming in the pool/ocean or just relaxing...
And yes, except for us every one was Russian, but we had no problems with anyone they were all nice people that kept to themselves, in fact it was quite amusing at times because none of the staff speak Russian and none of the Russians spoke English or Thai....
Would recommend this place in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If you dont like stairs dont get the Cliff veiw ones. It's quite a hike!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
KCCB_Team, Manager at Koh Chang Cliff Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Tessa and Jon,

I hope you are well.

I would like to thank you for your stay at the resort. Katie, Dodi and our staffs really enjoyed making your wedding day a memorable day for you and your guests.

The entire team of Koh Chang Cliff Beach resort would like to thank you for your kind comments and we hope that we can welcome you again soon for another memorable holiday/ anniversary.

KCCB_Team
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

Cliff Beach Resort is located on Kai Bae Beach and we loved it'
The hotel is right on the beach with landscaped gardens and 2 swimming pools.
Our family particularly loved the cliff top infinity pool as there was harly anyone there. The pools had a number of water features, including jacuzzi, shower and fountains which the children enjoyed.
The rooms were nothing special but perfectly acceptable.
The restaurant was not so great but there were plenty of options in the resort.
The staff were friendly and helpful

Room Tip: The cliff top house are great for families and have a super view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Ricky H
Dear Ricky H,

Thank you for your kind words on Tripadvisor.

We are glad that you enjoyed the facilities we have on offer for you and your family. Our infinity pool is very popular and do offer a commanding view of the ocean below.

I do apologise for your experience of our rooms. We always tried to make sure that the quality or the rooms are maintained to the highest standard. Even though the rooms were not to your liking. I do hope that you had a comfortable stay with us.

Again I am sorry to hear that the quality of the restaurant was not up to your standard. At the time, the food and beverage team were undergoing some changes with the new staff. I do hope that this did not affect your stay with us and I am glad to hear that you were still able to enjoy our other facilities. Our menu has gone through a change since your stay with us so I do hope that your next stay with us will be even better for you.

The entire team of Koh Chang Cliff Beach Resort thank you for your kind comments and we hope that we can welcome you again soon for another memorable holiday.

KCCB_Team
United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

It's just a shame I didn't have Sirrona's review - "Breakfast with Vladamir and Friends" to read before I booked to stay here. Read it and bear it in mind...heavily!

Kudos to the person hired to photograph this place, a rather deceptive job. Except that the infinity pool is shabbily built and when we were there a step of the wooden walkway had rotted and fallen through. Apart from the downsides of loud speedo wearing Russians everywhere (and their topless women - no, that's seriously NOT an upside!) there was a positive. But first I'll continue with what made me and my girlfriend so disillusioned.

The Christmas Eve Galadinner for which we were obliged to pay a mere $60 each was extremely amateurish and entertaining only ironically. The buffet food was either cold or tasteless or both (drinks not included...remember $60!!!). The breakfast was very bad but lunch, although pricey, was better IF you got what you ordered. Which brings me to the next problem - the staff.

When you're paying so much you expect smart looking, professional, English speaking staff, after all the money's got to go somewhere. The staff's uniform (optional) was a shabby pink polo shirt with whatever hat each boy had - ranging from cowboy to gangster baseball cap. I don't begrudge them personally because although their English was useless they did try. They were just not the people needed to run such a self-proclaimed luxury beach resort.

If you do decide to stay, you won't have any chance to change your mind. Payment in full is taken prior to stay with absolutely no chance of a refund or any recompense on arrival, with the excuse that they are a "small boutique hotel" - they're not a small boutique hotel.

HOWEVER - the positive - our room was AMAZING! I'm not joking, thankfully. We paid the extra for a "Cliffview Deluxe" having seen the comments about the less expensive rooms. The bed in the middle of the well designed/decorated room was huge and comfortable with sheets changed daily. We had our own small infinity pool looking over the jungle behind and a large, decent shower. Also, the view from up at the big infinity pool is lovely for sunset.

Consequently we spent as much time in our room as possible and ended up going to and staying at the fantastic, very professionally run, Amari Emerald Cove. If I were you I'd do the same from the start.

Room Tip: Cliffview Deluxe - if you'd rather not pay the extra then don't go.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank AMurphy13

Travelers are raving about these Ko Chang hotels

Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I recommend this resort if you want a relaxing get away with lazy days on the beach and have no adversion to russian guests since they vere most frequent.

Beach with sunbeds included in hotel cost, not the best beach on the island but still good. Nice massage place close to the beach but stilla bit secluded.
The infinity pool is ok but would be better with a staffed bar so you could ha a drink and whatch the sunset. Didn´t spend much time there, prefer the ocean. I recommend renting one of the hotels speed boats for a private snorkling trip, amazing and not too expensive.

The only draw back is the area around Kai Bay Beach which has no or very few beach restaurants/bars, most restaurants are up by the main road which is not as nice and relaxed as the resort itself.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cecpet
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

Cliff is a friendly and well located hotell at Kai Bae bech Koh Chang. It is a hotel with several rooms styles, from the most basic rooms to the more spectaulare Thai Villas. But Cliff is over priced. Its not worth between 4000 - 11 000 bth for this standard.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family