“Excellent”

The Emerald Cove Koh Chang
Ranked #3 of 73 Hotels in Ko Chang
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed here for a couple of weeks and we were completely satisfied. It's a nice looking comfortable and quiet place to relax. Spa, pool, rooms, beach and pool are great. Staff are very friendly and service oriented.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ptzn

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Right now I'm staying at this hotel. This is my 2nd visit to Emerald Cove Koh Chang. I was here for 2013 New Year with my family and had a fantastic time. This year i could not make it the new year but here I'am right after the new year and i can only say BRAVO to the general manager and his team, the hotel looks great, amazing rooms, awesome lap pool, delicious food, great SPA, and all of these at a very decent price. I will visit Koh Chang again if only i can stay at this hotel. Even now the hotel is fully booked but never feel crowded at all. Absolutely love this hotel and team. I still have few more days left and i feel sad to leave. Will return soon again.
Thank You Emerald Cove team.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights and we were satisfied with the service, pool area and the rooms. The prices are high in the bars, but what to expect at a 5 star hotel, thus I cannot say that this is a five star hotel...rather a 4 star hotel.
The breakfast was great with a lot of things to choose between. The beach was ok in front of the hotel.
Will probably come back again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Tompe72
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I absolutely loved this hotel! The staff were so friendly and service-minded, the pool was beautiful, the food delicious. I was so impressed by the Christmas and New Year parties. So much fun entertainment, delicious buffet and awesome decorations. Loved the yoga classes. I had a wonderful time staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I stayed at Amari for both Christmas and New Years, and couldn't have been more pleased with the choice of hotel. The staff were very friendly and provided excellent service, rooms were nice, 3 pools, private beach with comfortable chairs, spa, work out facilities, great breakfast buffet and the food in general was absolutely amazing! We went to numerous of restaurants during our stay at Koh Chang, and the best food we had was without doubt at the Amari. The Christmas and New Years parties at the Amari were such a good time with delicious food and great entertainment! All in all, the hotel was a perfect combination between charming and luxurious. I would highly recommend the Amari to anyone planning on going to Koh Chang. It might be a bit pricy, but definitely worth it!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I spent 17 nights here; the first 7 by myself, the remainder with my husband, taking in the Christmas period. Overall, we enjoyed it but it felt like there was something 'missing'. It didn't seem like 5 star hotel; more like 3.5 star, although, naturally, they're charging 5 star prices! After checking-in, the area you walk through after Reception smells like a sewer. This was a constant throughout my 17 day-stay.

Generally, the staff were friendly, but certainly not all. For example, one of the chefs who did the eggs in the morning was unfriendly and downright rude. Not what you expect from the so-called 'land of smiles'. There was little or nothing to do in the evenings. We walked along the beach one evening and there was music coming from every hotel except the Amari. In the end, we ventured out a couple of times to White Sands Beach where, at least, there was some life!

We found the food very expensive at the hotel and ate out all but 3 evenings. Our best experience of eating out was at the Thai/Swedish restaurant opposite the entrance to the Amari. Good food and very good value. The Christmas Gala meal at the Amari was astonishing 2,400 Baht p.p. [c. £48 p.p.] not including any drinks! Hideously expensive for Thailand. We got a takeaway at the Thai/Swedish place for a 10th of that!

Whatever you do, don't break anything! My husband accidentally broke a glass in our room and someone came with a chitty for me to sign for 60 Baht. I refused to sign on principle as we had spent a lot of money staying 17 nights, and had never experienced anything like that in 45 years of travel. Not what you'd expect from a 5 star hotel and this incident tainted our view of the resort.

In terms cleanliness, it seems like the room maids never clean the balcony areas. The balcony railings are covered in bird poo and, after accidentally resting my arms on the railing (to take a photo), I ended up with bird poo on my arms. I then cleaned the railing myself and it remained clean for the duration of my stay, leading me to conclude that the railing hadn't been cleaned in years!

Checking out was a pain, taking 20-25 mins.

Overall, it was OK - very relaxing - but we wouldn't hurry back. There are much better experiences to be had for this type of resort. We've travelled throughout the world and this Amari does not represent good value for money.

Room Tip: We had a supposedly superior deluxe room facing the gardens/pool with a view of sea, which seemed be...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Housemartin2111
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was located on a beautiful private beach, deep cushioned chairs, wonderful spa, the breakfast was great, the staff was excellent . The Christmas and New Years parties were fantastic. The food was delicious and the friendly staff took care of every detail needed for a fun and successful event. We went on private scuba diving course from the hotel which was great. It was possible to rent kayaks, or an hobie cat sailboat and even take a Thai cooking class at the hotel. The whole family enjoyed staying at this resort .

Stayed: January 2014