“Amari met my expectation!”

The Emerald Cove Koh Chang
Ranked #3 of 73 Hotels in Ko Chang
Bangkok, Thailand
“Amari met my expectation!”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I just stayed at the Amari Koh Chang for the past five weeks and certainly did enjoy this Resort. I own a business in Bangkok, which unfortunately is since five weeks inundated by flood waters. I chose the hotel on Koh Chang because it only takes about 4-5 hours to get there by car, which meant that I could get back within a few hours, if necessary.
I was offered a reasonable rate (which was highly appreciated) as I planned to stay for at least 3-4 weeks. The rather large room was on the third floor and had a great view over the stunning huge pool as well as the sea. The interior was a lot of real teak wood with a very comfortable bed and marble bath room, which was always clean and well taken care of by the maids. (Ok, if you stay longer it could use a larger, maybe flat screen TV)
I do a lot of exercise and did appreciate the gym, which is not very big, but well equipped. I also enjoyed the pool which is ideal for proper lap swimming. Since I was on Koh Chang for five weeks, I certainly tried some (quiet a few) restaurants on the island and need to mention that many places were either overpriced or the food standard was very poor, I had twice food poisoning. All food at the Amari, starting with breakfast at the coffee shop as well as the Thai and Italian restaurant were definitely very appreciated, as the food always tasted very good and fresh. The only point I want to mention is that the portions could be a bit bigger. The wooden walk way to the rooms certainly adds atmosphere to the resort and honestly I couldn't identify any rusty nails at all. In general the overall appearance of the entire property was quiet good, and I did not notice any major shortcoming in terms of maintenance. Staying there for nearly five weeks I noticed touch up works are taking place around the resort on a daily basis which affirmed my overall impression that this hotel is a place well taken care of. Certainly there are also Russian guests at the Amari, but not more or less than in any other hotel all over Thailand I stayed in. Staying at the Amari for nearly five weeks I got also in contact with some other guests staying there during this time, and nobody seemed to be bothered at all about our fellow Russian guests. After those five weeks I have to say that this hotel is one of the best and safest resort on Koh Chang, thanks to all staff and management which sometimes made me forget my nightmare with the floods in Bangkok, and I look forward to returning to the Amari under better circumstances in the near future.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gerhard_Bkk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Pattaya, Thailand
Reviewed November 23, 2011

My fiancee and I own a real estate business in Pattaya for the past 4 years and after staying several times at the Amari Orchid in Pattaya & putting many of our clients in the Amari hotel in Pattaya and staying at Amari in Phuket/BKK, We booked into the Amari in Koh Chang for our recent holiday expecting the same standard of service and quality we have gotten from the other branches. My fiancee and I were quite disappointed with the property. Upon arrival we were asked to wait for 20 minutes before checking in, giving us plenty of time to poke around the property and formulate an opinion.

The wooden decks going over the lily pond were dangerously splintering & littered with rusty nails. The lily pond was filthy and smelled like a dirty fish tank. The swimming pool was mediocre at best and didn't live up to the 5 star standards we've grown to love from the brand at its other locations. The place looked like a Russian club med. We also came to found out that they charge extra for everything you'd expect to be standard at a 5 star, top rated trip advisor property.

I always place my trust in Tripadvisor for its consistency, but the scene painted by reviewers at Amari is far from the reality we experienced on our visit. Although I book religiously through trip advisor suggestions, I typically don't review properties but I felt that something needed to be said about this particular place.

After being taken up to the room in the 'garden wing' (i think it was called), the elevator was quite old with yellowing buttons, chipped and scratched finishing materials. The small lobby area in our particular building looked like it had been thoroughly abused and not well cared for. Hallways in this building were also lackluster and dark with lots of scratched up wood, low ceilings. The cavelike room they tried putting us in smelled like mold.

Given that my impression of the property was formed in a short 40 minute inspection, I did not get time to evaluate the standard of service that Amari is famous for - i'm sure there wouldn't have been any problems in that department. That being said, this hotel is in need of a remodel and the older wing on the right as you walk towards the beach needs a major dose of TLC or a wrecking ball booking if they want to continue to pull people in with the stiff & increasingly maturing competition nearby.

People forget that this is not Koh Samui or Phuket - Beachfront property on this recently developed island is much more affordable than these more established resort areas, thus you can get a much higher value for your money here than you would in the west.

Anyhow, we canceled our booking at no fee, which was nice, and walked over to the Dewa Hotel. We had a lovely stay in one of their freestanding 1 bedroom villas . Upon arrival to the Dewa, we explained the situation and the manager gave us a discount on a room upgrade to try out their new property. We were very impressed with our 4 day stay and are returning to the Dew a next week to host our annual staff party.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Toby V
Shelly Beach, South Africa
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Emerald Cove is a fabulous five star hotel in a great location with all the bells and whistles you can expect. The staff has been well trained and are always happy and helpful. Beautiful grounds, an amazing 50m pool and a wonderful breakfast buffet complete the picture.
We chose this hotel beacuase of it's name - as we also have an Emerald Cove in South Africa, and we were very happy with our choice.

1 Thank Juper
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I stayed at the Amari for 4 nights at the end of October based on previous tripadvisor reviews and its location on the beach. It was a treat as I would normally stay in more basic 3 star room. The service and food (room service) was excellent. Breakfast was expensive so the room which I booked did not inclue breakfast and ordered room service instead - this being the cheaper option. The pricing for room service and the poolside bar was reasonable, drinks during happy hour (buy 1 get 1 free) was popular. During my stay, there were a lot of jellyfish in the ocean but they were not dangeous (but stung). I was not sure at the time so it limited the number of times I went into the ocean. I was told the jellyfish would clear in the a couple of weeks. Apart from the jellyfish, the only other thing which I would want to change is other guests smoking on the sunloungers. I know that its a public area and has more to do with people being considerate but when the wind is blowing smoke into your face in a beautiful setting, it's really unpleasant. The 50m pool was great - warm and great for swimming laps. I had dinner each night on the beach at a local restaurant next to the Dewa (bring a torch). On the road, there isn't too much around but this did not matter as I was only there for 4 days. The staff at the amari were very friendly. The room was large and clean. I also had a massage which was very good. I had a lovely stay and would recommend anyone wanting to 'splash out' at nice resort.

1 Thank pdenisa10
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed November 12, 2011

There wasn't one single staff person who wasn't super nice. The whole place is adorned with beautiful dark hardwood flooring. In our room, we never heard any sounds from neighbors. The restaurant is delicious, although expensive, but we only ate our free meal there. They have a nice pool, and offer poolside massages. I also got one of those for free as it was offseason and they were trying to drum up business. It was awesome! The beach is swimable, but the water is actually uncomfortably warm. The room was large and unbelievably inexpensive. Koh Chang itself is awesome, so laid back and a lot of little things to do.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2011

this hotel is perfect for those travellers looking for quiet/perfect beach/excellant accomodation which to us is what Thailand is all about.
we stayed three nights before we headed off to Koh Kood and wished we had stayed longer, the pool and the beach were perfect for us and if we wanted a busier resort it was just a short taxi ride away.

Room Tip: pool facing rooms are the best with a side sea view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trunkers
melbourne, australia
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Amari Emerald Cove for 9 nights in a Deluxe Room. Our room was large, spacious, clean and had a lovely view over the pool towards the ocean.
The resort grounds are beautiful and all the staff very friendly and do everything they possibly can to help you.
The resort has a huge Olympic size swimming pool and its own small private beach which is always present thanks to a wall that protects it even when the tide is in. There were a lot of jelly fish in the ocean close to the shore when we stayed there. I ventured out through them a couple of times and didn't get stung so I'm not sure how dangerous they are - There was a warning flag on the beach.
Kayaks are available to rent for 100 Baht by the pool and there are numerous Koh Chang activities that can be booked at reception. The prices of tours and activities seem pretty standard wherever you book them on the island so you may as well do it through the resort. If you need laundry done and want to save a bit of money, the tour shop at the top of the street that leads to the resort (two minute walk) will do it for 40 Baht/kg (80 if you want it ironed).
The breakfast buffet each morning was quite adequate. The food and drinks at the resort were reasonably priced (particularly during happy hour), however as is usually the case, food and drinks are cheaper if you dine off site. If you walk along the beach to the right past the neighboring resort you'll find a couple of lovely beach restaurants and bars which are well worth a visit. There are also a number of shops within easy walking distance. A taxi from Amari to White Sands which is the major shopping and tourist strip will set you back about 100-120 Baht for two people each way.
It is very difficult to find anything bad to say about Amari Emerald Cove. If I had to make any criticisms it would be that the WiFi signal in the room was fairly week and occasionally disappeared completely. Also the gym was quite small and if there are more than a couple of people in there seemed over crowded. Having said this, these things really won't a big deal and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Amari again and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: If a view is important for you go for the Deluxe rooms on the third floor (as high as you can go). I...
3 Thank Richard S