“Fantastic”

Monkeys Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 231 Restaurants in Ko Chang
Cuisines: Bar, European, Asian, Thai, British, International
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Monkeys Restaurant & Bar offers you a wide choice of homemade meals - well known western dishes,steaks, pastas, Mexican,chicken dishes, Thai, Cambodian & our famous Monkey Burger. We have clean, comfy surrounds with a relaxed atmosphere. We have free Wi Fi, free pool table, live English Premiership football, puzzles and quiz nights.Our waiting staff speak reasonable English and will try their best to give you good service.We welcome singles, couples and families We are located in the middle of White Sands Beach Resort.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Had a fab time at monkey's bar every body was so friendly loved it fantastic with kids kho Chang was one of the best places I've been in a long time

• Visited January 2014
MickD239, Owner at Monkeys Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
I`m so glad you and your family enjoyed your time on Koh Chang and at Monkeys Tracey. I don`t teach my staff how to deal with families, so there`s nothing false about any of us. Sure we are all polite and friendly but over and above that the interaction between customers, me and staff is up to the individual. Most of my staff, including myself have young children and we love making kids welcome..I think parents can see that at Monkeys. There aren`t actually many restaurants on Koh Chang where children are looked after and with things to occupy them, which I think we do quite well.
So thank you for the fab review and see you all again I hope.

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
“Second trip to Monkeys”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Since my last visit last year they have made some additions to the menu including Spinach and Cheese crepe's which were really tasty. They also have New Zealand steaks now at excellent value. Rob the manager was particularly helpful with local info and general chit chat about Thailand travel having been a backpacker for many years.Great Staff. The music was eclectic and the general ambience and holiday feel in the bar was great. I come to Koh Chang for a beach hol regularly being an expat and a visit to Monkeys is always high on my list of to-dos'. Cheers guys!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Simon H
MickD239, Owner at Monkeys Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Hi Simon it was great to see you again and thank you for your review. We are always looking to improve what we do at Monkeys particularly the food. We decided to source New Zealand steak because the Thai steaks were just not good enough. So I`m pleased you enjoyed yours.
Both Rob and I like to make our customers welcome and as you know we are more than happy to give advice on getting the best out of Koh Chang and your holiday.
I know you enjoyed the music, I actually put some of your suggestions on my playlist since you last came.
So me, Rob and all the staff thank you and look forward to seeing you again...and again.... and again :-)
Bangkok
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

First impression of this establishment was very good. The management are extremely likeable and friendly, and the menu is very appetizing. Our first meal was in the evening, and it was ok, although not completely to our taste. A couple of the dishes, monkey pasta and a chicken dish, was full of raw chunks of garlic. We like garlic, but not too that degree. A matter admittedly of personal taste, so it didn't put us off going again. A day or two later we went for lunch. I ordered sausages and mash. I was then served dumplings and mash. Sent it back and got what I ordered, but the mash was quite lumpy, the carrots were very hard, and the peas looked suspiciously like peas from a can. I complained about the carrots and the plate was taken away again. When it returned the carrots were still hard but swimming in garlic butter sauce. I ate some of the sausage - which didn't taste that great either, surprising as I thought it was a Cumberland sausage, my favorite - and left it at that. The staff throughout the meal were far too laid back in my opinion, they didn't once apologize for the problems we had. I'm sure had the owners been there, the service would have been much better, although I don't think it would have made any difference to the quality of the food. I'm really sorry to speak bad of a place. I hate doing it, especially when the owners are such lovely people, but I hope it is taken as constructive criticism.

MickD239, Owner at Monkeys Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
I have no problem with constructive criticism. We do not claim to be perfect and we are always looking to improve. Clearly there were a few things we did not get right for you and I apologize.I will discuss your comments with my staff.

To answer some of your points:
The garlic should always be cooked- I will speak to chef
We have dumplings & mash on our menu as well as sausage & mash so I presume my staff made a mistake with your order
We do not over cook the carrots to make them soft but they should not be too hard
Our peas are fresh but chef ran out and could only get canned peas when you ate here
The Cumberland sausage is made locally by an English guy and to be honest is very popular
As for the staff being laid back. Well that sums up life here in Koh Chang.That doesn`t mean they do not care. In fact they are very conscientious. Between myself and Steve, the Manager we cover most of the times we are open and it is far easier for us to deal with any issues. It is a lot harder for my staff to deal with. They would have meant no offence I can assure you.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review Monkeys. And, as I said before, I will discuss all your comments with my staff.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Good food and friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Good food, friendly staff ,they do speak English, pleasantly place to be. It has a Nice terras,even if it's near the sidewalk, it's a relaxed place to be . Only if there is a live soccer game, it can be crowded

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Roos1911
MickD239, Owner at Monkeys Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Your review is much appreciated. Thank you for your lovely comments.

Live football is shown late Saturday & Sunday evenings and there is always a good atmosphere.
Bergen, Norway
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Totally average food and staff less then exited when we showed up for lunch. If I would go there again - doubt it.

Visited January 2014
MickD239, Owner at Monkeys Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
I`m sorry you felt your experience at Monkeys was average, that is not what we aspire to both with the food we serve or my staffs approach with customers. I do read all reviews to my staff.

However, I hope yours was a one off. Many reviews do compliment my staff and the food.I notice you made the same comments about staff in another similar establishment in White Sands. Maybe it is worth pointing out there is no Savoy in Koh Chang with Silver Service waiters.

Nevertheless I want all customers to have prompt and friendly service with good food. We are not perfect and we continually look to maintain good standards and to improve in both.