“Good food and friendly service”

Monkeys Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 231 Restaurants in Ko Chang
Cuisines: Bar, European, Asian, Thai, British, International
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Monkeys Restaurant & Bar offers you a wide choice of homemade meals - well known western dishes,steaks, pastas, Mexican,chicken dishes, Thai, Cambodian & our famous Monkey Burger. We have clean, comfy surrounds with a relaxed atmosphere. We have free Wi Fi, free pool table, live English Premiership football, puzzles and quiz nights.Our waiting staff speak reasonable English and will try their best to give you good service.We welcome singles, couples and families We are located in the middle of White Sands Beach Resort.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Good food and friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Good food, friendly staff ,they do speak English, pleasantly place to be. It has a Nice terras,even if it's near the sidewalk, it's a relaxed place to be . Only if there is a live soccer game, it can be crowded

1 Thank Roos1911
MickD239, Owner at Monkeys Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Your review is much appreciated. Thank you for your lovely comments.

Live football is shown late Saturday & Sunday evenings and there is always a good atmosphere.

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bergen, Norway
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Totally average food and staff less then exited when we showed up for lunch. If I would go there again - doubt it.

Visited January 2014
MickD239, Owner at Monkeys Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
I`m sorry you felt your experience at Monkeys was average, that is not what we aspire to both with the food we serve or my staffs approach with customers. I do read all reviews to my staff.

However, I hope yours was a one off. Many reviews do compliment my staff and the food.I notice you made the same comments about staff in another similar establishment in White Sands. Maybe it is worth pointing out there is no Savoy in Koh Chang with Silver Service waiters.

Nevertheless I want all customers to have prompt and friendly service with good food. We are not perfect and we continually look to maintain good standards and to improve in both.
“Average food with excellent staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Monkeys - located on the main road just off the resort of White sands in NW Koh Chang... If your missing a bit of Britain whilst on your travels then this "International restaurant / bar (that wouldn't be out of place in Benidorm) is a place to go...

The owner "Mick" (A Brit) came over and introduced himself as soon as we came in, a very nice touch i thought... And obviously very proud of his establishment. Good atmosphere, friendly English speaking Thai staff and
a different Chinese puzzle on each table to keep kids and adults entertained during your meal.

Drinks Coolers were provided for all drinks not just beer, which was appreciated by my 17 year old daughter... After a couple of weeks of Thai food we opted for non Thai food...Starters - bruschetta (great), chicken satay (great) spinach & cheese crepe x 2 (very bland).

Main Course - lasagne (bland, needed alot more seasoning) spagetti Bolognese (good), monkey burger (good), summer pasta (good).

The bIll is updated and itemised on the table as you go, so you can see what you have spent.

Good, but as stated above, a little too "Benidorm" for my liking.

• Visited January 2014
MickD239, Owner at Monkeys Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your considered review, I think I will take most of it as a compliment.

I`m glad you marked 5 out of the 7 meals you chose as good or great, which makes me a little surprised you only rated our food as average.Of the 2 meals you didn`t rate as good or great. The lasagna is homemade and one of our top 10 sellers. We do season it when cooking but like most meals you can`t please every palate. The spinach & cheese crepe is a new addition to our appetizers but I`m not sure what else we can add to that.

As for the `Bennidorm` remark, well that`s a place I`ve never been but understand to what you are referring but can`t quite see why. My restaurant is tastefully furnished with an extensive menu that has dishes from all over the world. Bennidorm would possibly be one of the last places you would find myself or Steve (the Manager).We are both down to earth and friendly guys who take a relaxed but professional approach to customers. But speaking on Steve`s behalf, he is an educated man with 2 degrees and a Masters who retired from public life where he held a very senior position. So he is equally comfortable talking about life on Koh Chang, football or more intellectual topics. Unlike iin Bennidorm neither do we play loud dance music. I like to think that at Monkeys in all that we do we aspire to much more than a stereotypical bar to which you have likened us.

I`m delighted you commented that our staff are friendly. They all speak English and are conscientious about their work.
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“Not what we expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We normally avoid English pubs, especially as we are English, but this bar was next to our hotel so we ventured in for the televised football. They have beer on draft which was welcome relief as the bottled Chang and Singha on the island gave me an iffy tummy. Staff were very good and while we didn't eat here the meals we watched being brought out looked very tasty.

Visited December 2013
MickD239, Owner at Monkeys Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
I`m pleased we exceeded you expectations. Monkeys was originally designed and built to be both a restaurant and a bar but not really as a traditional English pub. We cater for customers from all over the world and as such our menu reflects that. I am however, from England as is the Manager, Steve and we do have some well known English dishes like Fish & Chips, Sausage & Mash and of course The Full English, with real cumberland sausages not the small american type ones you often get. Our draught beer is also very popular.
Thank you for writing this review and next time you come in please try our food...it really is tasty! :-)
Bangkok, Thailand
“ok food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Only eat one time take long time not get what i order staff change but take long time. nice staff(thai)

Visited December 2013
MickD239, Owner at Monkeys Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about dining with us. Over the Christmas and New Year period we are exceptionally busy, particularly in the evenings. During certain peak times I think it might be natural on occasions to wait 15-20 minutes for your meal.If the staff did get your order wrong then I apologize. It shouldn`t happen but again we are all human and can on occasions make mistakes.
I`m glad you thought our food was ok. We are continuously looking to improve it and welcome constructive criticism.And also that you thought my staff were nice. Perfect they are not, mistakes thankfully are rare, but genuine and conscientious, yes.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review and I`m flattered that I see it is the first one you have ever written on tripadvisor.