“Look elsewhere, no regard for passengers or the reef”

Perm Poon Sub Boat Trips day trips
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We recently have returned from a trip to Thailand including 6 days in Koh Chang. We booked the “5 Island” dive trip on Perm Poon Sub through our hotel, and to say we were disappointed is an understatement. I am a qualified diver, however my partner isn’t. so we decided to do a snorkelling trip instead. I have been on my fair share of dive boats over the years from Australia to the Middle East, so I think I am fairly well placed to comment on our experience.

We were picked up promptly and on time by our bus at the front of our hotel in Kai Bae Beach, and were taken on a shortish ride with other passengers down to Bang Bao. We walked through the charming fishing village, and boarded the boat. The boat we were actually going out on was moored one boat away from the pier, so we had to climb on the first boat, and then work our way off the side of the desk of that boat onto the other, with minimal hand holds etc… safety clearly wasn’t a major factor here!

We boarded the boat and took our seats up stairs, on plastic chairs that were tied with string to the sides of the boat so they didn’t move around too much. The boat then headed off, no introduction, no safety briefing, nothing… everyone left to fend for themselves. The boat was packed, and it seemed that the staff had a lot of family and friends on the boat, as being the high season, there were not a lot of paying guests. This was reflected in the service, where the staff were all too happy to show the local Thai’s the animal identification charts and the map of where they were going, but didn’t show it to either ourselves or the two Russian couple in front of us.

We pulled up at the first snorkelling site, and were greeted with the view of four other boats, and about 200 people in the water. It was made compulsory to wear flotation devices in the water, which makes it impossible to snorkel properly as you can’t actually dive under the surface. When asked if we could go without we were told that that wasn’t possible, even though we are quite capable swimmers. I thought this might have been a safety policy, but I proved that theory wrong (more on that later).

So into the water we go, welcome to a mass of bubbles, bread being fed to the fish and general disregard for the preservation of the reef and the animals. The snorkeling sites were OK at best . People were allowed to stand on the reef, the guides were picking up urchins and other animals and bringing them to the surface, and even scraps from the food being prepared were being thrown overboard. One of the guides was pulling people along by getting them to hold onto a life jacket, he pushed past me in the water, asked me to get out of the way as he had paying customers on his guided tour, I was absolutely shocked.

We climbed back aboard the boat, to find that food was served and ready to go. It was a nice meal of local thai curries etc. One Thai passenger grabbed a plate and began to serve himself, so one of the Russian men thought it was ok to start serving, only to be shouted at and told that it was not ready to eat yet… this was a common occurrence with snacks later on and even the main meal… it seems that locals were allowed to do as they pleased, but foreigners were treated as second class customers. I have never seen anything so rude from Thai people ever before, or ever again!

The fruit was refrigerated; however the chicken skewers for the bbq were left out in the open air for a good 2-3 hours prior to being cooked, so needless to say we passed on those as they would have been well past their best.

I think the absolute lowlight happened when an Australian man was climbing down the ladder from the top deck to the one below, he slipped and fell quite awkwardly. All of the staff just looked and some even laughed… he had to help himself up and hobble away.

Beware the 5 islands pitch… in reality 3 of the islands are within about 100m of each other… hardly a change from one reef to the next! At one point we stopped between two islands, about 40m apart. This was classed as a ‘2 island stop’, and you could choose to either snorkel or to swim to the beach of the larger island. At this point I was told that I was allowed to swim to the beach without my life vest… so much for not being allowed to swim without one earlier!

If you want to do the snorkelling, do it with another operator, this company has no regard for their paying customers, safety of the passengers or crew, and no care for for the reef that they are bringing people out to see.

6  Thank Aussie_Bandit
There are newer reviews for Perm Poon Sub Boat Trips day trips

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We did the 5 island day trip. 700bahtPP. We were picked up early morning, stopped off at a few other resorts to pick up other customers before arriving at Bang Bao. We had a lot of thai families on board the day we went out and it was most enjoyable. Snorkelling gear was available if needed. We bought bread rolls beforehand for 20baht a packet at Bang Bao Pier.
There were heaps of fish especially if you had bread to throw in the water. We were fed twice and there was also water,coffee available.. The captain offered me his tea bags which i thankfully accepted. After snorkerlling we headed by rubber duckie to Koh Rang beach, here there were heaps of mobiles hanging from the trees of dead coral...We headed to Koh Wai with the help of some music..Some of the staff had the younger ones up for a dance..It was beautiful heading back to Bang Bao seeing the light house.. We were driven back to our resort at the end of the day..most enjoyable and we would happily do another day trip.

2  Thank chuckyJellie
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We chose the five island tour for some snorkelling with one rookie & one experienced member and had a great day out. The 'slow' boat is very comfortable, offers good food & very friendly service.

The snorkelling itself is a mixed bag - the first stop is the best reef and beginners are taken round the reef and have the local sea-life pointed out & explained to them so its a great introduction. The second & third islands are actually side by side and you're not really given enough time to explore both but again there's plenty to see and do. The fourth stop is a small reef but with food for the fish being thrown overboard you're very quickly enveloped by huge shoals of fish which is tremendous fun. The final stop is a bit of a rip - you do get the benefit of a stop on beautiful Koh Wai but there's little in the way of snorkelling.

Overall a very fun day but if you're an experienced snorkeller you may get less than you expected. If you're new to the sport then its highly recommended.

1  Thank squaretiger
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Spent the day on the 5 Island tour.

Pick from accommodation was on time, the vessel was very large and stable on the water and had approx 90 people on board the day I went. The staff were very helpful and attentive. The food supplied was good and plentiful. I have own snorkeling gear so cant comment on the quality of the gear supplied, however I did over hear a few people grumble about broken snorkels. Also remember that if you want fins, they cost 100 THB extra for the day.

The first stop was in the marine reserve south of Koh Chang and was onto a reef that has been completely decimated by large groups. At every subsequent stop for snorkeling it was the same. On one occasion between Islands 3 and 4 (the boats literally park in the middle with about 50m to either Island) ther was 4 large boats, and 3 speed boats with I estimate over 300 people in the water, at this location there was 3 anchors buried in the reef. 1 From the boat I was on.

Having said all of this, for those new to snorkeling there is enough fish, clams, and coral to make it interesting. For those who have snorkled previously I suggest spending a little more and joining one of the dive charters as a snorkler. You will see so much more and better corals.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Yesterday my girlfriend and I took the half day trip with speedboat to see three islands with Perm Poon. We had a good time.

Pro:
+ speedboat was fast. (25 minutes to get to the group of three islands)
+ equipment for snorkeling was ok
+ not too many people ( 20)
+ lunch was good
+ very friendly staff

Con
- no flippers
- many boats arrive at the same spots

Tip: extra sunscreen on your back!

Have fun, Paul