“Appalling”

Ban Chang Thai - Elephant Camp
Ranked #24 of 68 things to do in Ko Chang
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Absolutely appalling how these majestic animals are kept in captivity like this, chained and confined to a tiny enclosure. This practice should be banned and the cruelty stopped. The guide even uses a hook to beat the animals and makes them bleed just to "nudge" them forward. This is just not right and it is very shameful.

9  Thank Raffles79
"stream"
in 4 reviews
"training"

Reviewed July 17, 2014

My group of travelers had visited the Kong Plu Waterfall on Koh Chang and were heading home and we drove past the Baan Chang Elephant park after it had closed for the day. The area was deserted except for their young elephant, who was tethered all alone in a small enclosure. There was no one around and the baby elephant was pacing and swaying as much as his tether would allow...clearly in distress. I saw no food or water. Elephants are social, family-group animals and this treatment seems cruel and NOT what a place that calls itself a sanctuary should do. I would never recommend any animal lover visit there...I hope there is an investigation of their activities with all their elephants.

8  Thank Joanne B
Reviewed June 14, 2014

What's a wonderful day out, feed the elephants then go for a ride, take your shorts and towel and go play in the pools from the waterfalls, a truly amazing experience , my biggest concern was would they treat the elephants well and I must admit yes they do, the keepers have a great care for the animals and seem to enjoy the day just as much I did,

Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

The experience of seeing the elepants was amazing, and you get so close to them, feeding them and bathing them which is something I will never forget.
However I found it distressing to watch the elephants chained up, and occasionally saw a mahout hit the elephant with a bull hook, although usually it was just a tap it still upset me. I don't think I would have chosen this place if I knew they used bull hooks. This being said, the mahouts clearly loved the elephants and took care of them and the guide explained to us why they chained up the elephants and also disiplined them. All the elephants on the park have been resucued from mistreatment so they're quality of life is much better here and I believe that this park treats their elephants much better than other parks that offer similar experiences. We also rode the elephants bare back, which is much kinder than using chairs. Bathing the elephants was amazing as the elephants were so happy in the water.

Overall, the experience was good despite the use of bull hooks and chains, and I am very torn as whilst it seems cruel the elephants are offered a better quality of life than where they were rescued from. Compared to the majority of elephant parks in Thailand this is a kinder one

1  Thank Scj5