“Very sad experience.”

Ban Chang Thai - Elephant Camp
Ranked #18 of 64 things to do in Ko Chang
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This camp claims to be all about the conservation of elephants but I saw no evidence of that. The poor elephants seemed old, tired and overworked.

As for the guides, well, I found them to be very disdainful- laughing at us, smoking cigarettes all the while we were on the tour and then trying to flog us what looked like ivory goods at the end. They also carried these horrible, intimidating looking spikes, presumably to keep the elephants in line. I didn't actually witness them hit the elephants with them however it was evident they do at times from all the cuts on the poor beasts. Maybe the guides have no choice but to use them if the elephant decides to be unruly but that said they are kept in shackles so I wouldn't imagine they would get very far should they did decide to bolt. Who could blame them for trying to escape anyway?!

The 'jungle' they take you through seemed more like wasteland to me, not pretty or exotic in any way like I'd hoped. We opted for the swimming with elephants as well- don't bother, the water was really filthy and I was ill for days afterwards.

That said, I enjoyed seeing the elephants and they seemed to enjoy the feeding session which was just before we went swimming. However this is purely a commercial enterprise where the animals are not treated well overall and have little quality of life. Very sad. Next time I want to see elephants I will go on safari and see them in the wild, where they belong.

2  Thank Miss_Kitty_Edinburgh

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Lovely ride on the elephants through Koh Chang nature. Just was not expecting all the elephant poop in the water when we went swimming with them.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is nothing else than just an elephant ride.
You don't get to know elephants that well and don't get any introduce of the surrandings either.
You basically just sit high up on the elephants, walking around between some farms (pamelo farms and rubber tree farms, and get a swim with them.
If you have enver tried elephant ride and just want to experience, here may be the place for you; but if you want to know more about elephants, book other course or other places then.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I`m not a massive fan of riding on the backs of elephants. However, since they are an inevitable tourist attraction then this is my favourite elephant camp. They are mainly older elephants, located in the heart of the jungle where the Mahoots seem to really look after them and actually will tell you how they care for them. You also get to feed these huge animals. Not easy to find if you go alone.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We visited the centre whilst on holiday with a 3 year old. The purpose was just to show him the elephants rather than take a trek. Two elephants were tethered and eating when we arrived and when the keeper was in attendance we were able to get close up and take photographs.
It is situated well off the beaten track and is quite a long trip from the main road along a very bumpy road. Four wheel drive advised.
The place was cool and under a canopy of trees. We took lots of photos and left pleased. The animals appeared to be well treated and the keeper new the history of the animal it helped that one of our party spoke Thai which helped enormously. Interesting trip.