“Fantastic, remote camp with well treated elephants”
Review of Ban Kwan Chang

Ban Kwan Chang
Ranked #12 of 65 things to do in Ko Chang
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is well off the beaten track unlike the other elephant camps on the island which are located right alonside the main roads with treks up dried out riverbeds :-( Pick the option to scrub the elephants in the river, absolutey amazing experience! Mahoots clearly love their elephants, ours had been with his elephant (Shuree) for 7 years. All elephants are female and rescued from Northern Thailand. The trek itself takes you well into the jungle where you will see butterflies (one landed on my foot), birds and perhaps even monkeys.....but the silence is what struck me, so peaceful just the sounds of jungle life. Mahoots are very quiet also, just encouraging grunts to communicate with the elephant, no hitting or shouting. Excellent. We were not asked for any more money than what we paid for our trek, but gave our Mahoot money as he took literally dozens of excellent photo's for us, we thought he was only going to take a couple! We also bought souveneirs from their camp as I would rather the money went to them, than buy the same souveneirs i White Sands ;-)

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Elephants are walked too much and are very tired..
Animals should be respected though money talks and the welfare of the these animals are not considered in regards the money made

9  Thank Frankyschuman
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our mahout was lovely and didn't ever ask for tips, and took photos of us with our camera without charging us for it. We were also able to feed the elephants afterwards, which was nice. I'm also glad I didn't see any baby elephants tied up! Would definitely recommend this place over others in koh chang.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I didn't see any mis-treatment of elephants (though the stick with the hook were in evidence) but the trek and bathing were pretty both underwhelming. The biggest problem to me was the testosterone fuelled attitude of the elephant handlers - our group contained several twenty-something Danish and German women, and the comments being made by some of the handlers (one cannot have been older than 14) were pretty grim...you didn't require much comprehension of Thai to understand that they were discussing the "price" of the women. It went way beyond banter....I really wouldn't bother....

2  Thank TheMortyVicker
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I can only comment on what I experienced on my trip and not on other reviewers experiences.

I actually visited the camp the day before I went on a one hour trek with my wife and daughter. Some elephants were chained up which I suppose you would expect with such a potentailly hazardous beast. As with many animals (ourselves included) they have different personalities and I actually saw two elephants wandering around freely and unattended. There were signs mentioning chained elephants' names and that they were"stubborn" and so on so I assume the staff knew how the animals were likely to behave. I'm not doubting other reviwers accounts but I saw no such mistreatment and also I am no expert in the accepted way of training these animals. If they have overstepped the mark then I hope it will be dealt with appropriately.

Whilst we waited for an elephant to be available we were given a couple of plates of pineapple to snack on and a couple of bottles of water. There is a small stand with souvenirs in this area also and I got a t-shirt for an ok price.

Eventually we were aboard a beautiful teenaged female elephant for a one hour trip through the nearby forest. Shortly after we left the camp the Mahout dismounted and took our camera from us in order to take pictures of our trip. He walked alongside all of the way and was able to instruct the elephant vocally without the use of the ankus (that sharp metal tool used worldwide by mahouts).

It started to rain whilst we were out and the mahout gave us a couple of umbrellas to keep the rain at bay and the weather didn't lessen our enjoyment at all. Our guy was an affable enough sort of chap who didn't pester us for tips as has been mentioned by others so I guess we got lucky there.

The camp itself is in a nice location away from the main road. Other camps on the island are not in such nice surroundings so I think the animals are lucky in that respect.

As I say I can only comment on my experience and overall it was an enjoyable one.

2  Thank Waspie_10