“Ban Kwan Chang”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Ban Kwan Chang”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The tour is through the jungle. 40 min ride 500thb.They picks you up and brings you back to your hotel. Don’t forget to take some bananas for the elephants. I think feeding the elephants was better than the ride.

Visited February 2013

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“The best elephant camp on whole of Koh Chang!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

If you want to do an elephant trek while in KC make sure you do this one, it is sponsored by The Asian Elephant Foundation & is based inland in the jungle, so it has to be better than the other camps on KC which are small & on the busy roadside.

The elephants seemed happy & in good condition, not underweight, and our mahoot treated our elephant well with verbal instructions only. It was amazing the relationship they had and how she understood what he was saying (I just hope she has been trained this way through verbal communication only, you never know!) Our mahoot got off the elephant for about 10 mins and walked infront, taking lots of photos for us on our own camera. He got off again for about 10-15 minutes at the end and let me sit on the elephants head (my partner stayed in the chair behind me). Some of the other mahoots stayed off the elephant for the entire ride, while others I noticed only got off quickly for a few photos, so it probably depends who you get. You can always ask them to get off or take more photos for you, they will ask for a tip at the end so don't feel shy asking.

We done the full 2 hr trek including bathing and this really was a highlight, although you only get a few minutes on the elephant in the water it is still pretty breathtaking and lots of fun. Definitely recommend choosing this particular camp on KC and doing the full 2 hour trek (it included free water, coke, pineapple, and sufficient food to feed the elephants). We just want to go back and do it all again!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Pyramid160
Chiang Mai, Thailand
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“fun!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

the elephants know their drill -- load-up passengers, walk the route, unload, head to the fruit-basket for a snack, take the gratuity. The facility is a member of the Asian Elephant foundation... the animals seem well cared-for, but I don't know a thing about elephant-reserves. (500B for a 45-min ride; 900B for the 80-min ride that includes bathing the elephants)

Visited January 2013
3 Thank MissLee_ding
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Uncertain”
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I loveelephants. This was a dream come true for me. However I am unsure how I feel about my experience. Swimming with elephants consisted of 5 min with one on water. As 20 other people stood around and watched. On their sight it said the trainer walked alongside during ride. However ours only got off once I asked and then asked for tip. When I asked for pictures the guide asked for tips. The pictures came out horrible. We were the last to come back to the camp and there were only 3 bananas left to feed to our elephant. And then our guide asked for tip. I felt ripped off out of my 900 baht plus 140 baht tip. I would have much rather spent the whole day bathing the elephant and feeding her instead of being paraded around. Also a lot of the trainers hit their elephants to control them whereas their shouts and commands worked just as well. They do live in the jungle and have plenty to eat unlike the roadside camps you see in koh Chang. The elephant we rode on was named Nam Wan.

3 Thank Alyssas15
Singapore, Singapore
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great ride with elephants”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Great way of discovering the inside of the island. We spent two hours with the elephants and enjoyed having a bath with them. Don't take just the ride, add the extra money and hour to have a bath with the elephants, it is a great experience, especially for the kids.

They also pick you up and drive you back to your hotel (all inc. in the price so you don't have to worry how to go there)

Visited December 2012