“Arrived a Tourist left a Brit educated [--]”

and 1 more site!
Elephant and Castle Bungalows
Ranked #15 of 115 Ko Chang B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We arrived in Koh Chang after travelling for 30 hours exhausted and overheated (April norms) and made it as far as a Italian restaurant in White sand beach. At which we asked the owner of the restaurant if she new where the Elephant and Castle was, after we had dinner there, She said "John" one of her best friends and even talked to the taxi driver for us to get there, WE WHERE EVER SO HAPPY. We trudged up the small path to the Hotel and John immediately took us in as Family!. This place will grow on you in no time, one of his four Dogs adopted us and made us feel safe at she guarded our porch of out clean Bungalo every night, remember the Elephant and Castle backs up to Pristine Thailand Jungle and every morning the sounds of Tropical bird's and buzz of insects will be sorely missed now. John has a minage of animals he has rescued, and one pet jungle frog. So long story short John and his Thai Wife are extremely friendly, if you want to stay where you are just a Tourist go for it "Or Come Here" where you will become Family and by the way John is a Thai Guru on the culture and the best Tours and Deals, He had to call me out on my Tipping as in Thai customs 20 Baht is good money(75cents) Our Highlight was my girlfriend ridding on the Elephant and Jungle trip which he recommended, the look on her face riding bareback was" priceless", They later put the cage on for me. They also down the walk have a family restaurant "Great cheap food" and I rented my moped there also "miss my 125 Honda now". Peace and quite and close to all the excitement of White Sand Beach. WE WILL BE BACK SOON!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank phallik

Reviewed April 1, 2012

I was traveling by myself through Thailand and ended my trip in Koh Chang. I stumbled across Elephant and Castle and decided to give it a try. I ended up staying there for the last 10 days. John and his wife were amazing hosts.
The bungalows are located a bit off the road which gives you a lot of peace and quiet. They are nothing special but yet they still are :). Hot water, TV, a fan and a cozy porch are included.
Even though it might be easier to get around with a motorbike, i didnt rent one and still got around really well. To get to thr next beautiful beach you can either take a cab or i sometimes walked. (John even offered me a ride every once in a while).
I often ate dinner there as well. Lan and her cousin made wonderful (and cheap) Thai food. And John makes awesome western Breakfast.
There are always beverages, hot or cold, available.
John also pretty much knows anyone and anything in Koh Chang. He helped me find the best beach, set me up with an awesome trekking tour, gave me tips on where to go out to eat or drink and how much i should pay for a taxi.To me that was very helpful, because as in every country tourists sometimes can betaken advantage off, especially young women traveling on their own.
Koh chang is a must for everyone traveling trough Thailand. I will definetely come back to this beautiful island and really there is no better place to stay than at Elephant & Castle.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank sibylle721
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I really enjoyed staying at the Elephant and Castle. It was a very relaxing time. John is great conversation and the dogs all have their own personalities. The accommodations are well maintained, comfortable and clean. The only downside is that it is a bit far from most places - be prepared to spend on taxis or rent a motorbike.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Yozhik202
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Well I arrived in Koh Chang with the wife and kids in tow and wondering where I could possibly stay that a) wasn't going to rip me off, b) provide safe clean lodging for said family and c) tolerate my kids!

Fortunately help was at hand. After consulting Trip Advisor we decided to chance a visit to the Elephant and Castle.
The rest as they say is history. John the guy who runs the place is quite simply a top bloke and nothing was too much trouble for him. He really looked after us well, cooked superb breakfasts and dinners and provided a real home from home experience.

The bungalows are spacious and clean with hot water and ample terrace space and very comfortable. John seems to know everything about the island and was very helpful when it came to planning the rest of our trip.

We passed a very memorable stay there including celebrating Johns birthday, together with the other guests all of whom were really fantastic people.

If and when I come back to Koh Chang, I will definitely make a bee line for John's place, I know there will be a warm welcome waiting and a cold beer in the fridge!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I never tought I would say this but this place really is a home away from home. The bungalows are set in a very quiet jungle garden about 100 m away from the road. The place has an overall very relaxed atmosphere. John is a great guy and is always there to greet you, be it morning, noon or night. He always finds time for a quick chat and also prepares the best fried eggs in SEA.

The only advice we would have would be to rent a scooter. That way you are not stuck in one place but have the freedom to move around the island at your own pace. We rented a bike beside the nearest petrol station. To get there turn left when you get to the main road and head down for about 20 minutes until you get to the petrol station. There's a guy just beside it who rents bikes for about 200B a day.

I'm pearsonally not a dog lover but his four adorable dogs are just as quirky as he is. He also has two fluffy cats and a family of geckos on each bungalow. All the animals give the place a really homely feel.

We came to Koh Chang to stay for 3-4 nights but spent 10 days in John's Elephant and Castle.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Fantastic bungalows and John the owner is very helpful and a real character makes you feel like your one of the family, best bacon and eggs ever !!!!! Very central and beaches all within walking distance but he can arrange for bike hire,travel tickets basically he is the local oracle !!!!! So thanks John and hope to see you again very soon.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Just spent 2 nights with john at the elephant and castle bungalows and thoroughly recommend it to anyone.John is a character and really makes you feel at home with a relaxed atmosphere and cold beer !!!! Thanks for all your help !

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo