“Average”

Mak Mak Family Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 248 Restaurants in Ko Chang
Cuisines: Italian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Description: Mak Mak is a cozy family restaurant which serves Thai food as well as French and Italian and has a extended choice of Seafood Bbq in High Season. The restaurant is half closed, half open and has a big bar in the center and a free 8" Pool table. There is a childrens playground in the garden.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband saw rave reviews of this restaurant on Tripadvisor so we gave it a try. Not sure how I want to put this but I wasn't impressed with the look the waiter gave me because I'm Thai and my husband is English. I know he must have seen enough of the seedy sex tourists and bar girls but he wasn't in the position to judge us or anyone. The drink lists says if you want other drinks outside the menu, ask their staff. I saw that they do daiquiris so I thought I would ask if they could make add mango or strawberry (because they have mango and strawberry shakes so why not?) This guy's answer was not just no but his face said "I can't be bothered to ask the bartender". We ordered a pasta dish, some chips, tom yum goong and fried rice and the Thai dishes were just so-so. The pasta and chips were good but NOT great. Having seen enough of the annoyed waiter, I paid for the meal and that brought a tiny smile to his face. I'm sure tourists could find a much better place on the island and this place isn't certainly cheap.

1  Thank Butterific
e_nieuwkerk, Owner at Mak Mak Family Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Butterific,

I am the Dutch owner, and together with my Thai wife we run the restaurant. So we may assume that my staff is familiar with this combination. We get all kind off customers in our restaurant and we never judge on anyone or discriminate. The waiter who helped you is Cambodian and speaks a little bit Thai and a little English. Since we have no Strawberry on the menu, i assume that he simply did not understand what you wanted. It would have been simple to ask for me, my wife or our restaurant manager. We receive a lott of positive feedback about our service level and the kindness of our staff, personal and in reviews on tripadvisor. It is my opinion that you are the one who is judging here, not my staff. Maybe because he is Cambodian, maybe you did not like his face. Nevertheless, dispite your disappointment in our restaurant I hope you had a pleasant stay on Koh Chang and found the restaurants that were not "judging" you.

With kind regards

Edwin Nieuwkerk

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Always have liked their menu items, a superb place to go if you have kids with you. This restaurant offers a fully equipped playground with swings 'n small rides plus a slide and climbing rope net. Very well maintained and clean toilet facilities!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

By living in Thailand for 5 years I know what you can get for what price, the plus points were it is affordable, you have a variety of Thai and Western Dishes, and the owner is a very helpful man who gave us quite the tips where to go on the island. The pizzas are great, and cheap for Thai standards, and the Thai food is OK nothing special, in short for Western Dishes a good choice, and for Thai dishes well it is just one out of many.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

First - Don't go on a hot noon. The fans are barely fill.
The place itself is nice and comfortable and all is a wooden furniture.

The food is OK no more but with some good dishes like the pizza and the pasta.
Be careful when ordering Thai food because some of them are spicy and some of them are very hot that can bring you to tears.
Service is good but somewhat slow.
The prices are a bit high in comparing to the average prices of other places on the island.

Over all it's an OK restaurant that is a good option if you are staying is this beach.
Not worth a special trip.

1  Thank Danny972
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Excellent and very cheap restaurant.
The beef steak is recommended.
Great atmosphere and service:)
The best local and Western food you can find in Thailand.