“An OK restaurant”

Mak Mak Family Restaurant
Ranked #45 of 266 Restaurants in Ko Chang
Cuisines: Italian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: Mak Mak is a cozy family restaurant which serves Thai food as well as French and Italian and has a extended choice of Seafood Bbq in High Season. The restaurant is half closed, half open and has a big bar in the center and a free 8" Pool table. There is a childrens playground in the garden.
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We visited Mak Mak ~5 times during a 5 day stay. As with any restaurant, some dishes are good, some just mediocre. In general, Thai dishes were better. Fried beef with garlic and the shrimp dishes were nice, with the chicken with cashew nuts you really had to look hard for the chicken. I was looking forward to trying the western food options, since it has a TripAdvisor award and all that, but after I tried the burger (bad patty, uneatable burned pre-fried fries), I didn't risk it. The smoothies are quite good and recommended. In all, nothing particularly special, maybe it does stand out compared to the competition.

e_nieuwkerk, Owner at Mak Mak Family Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Ire,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant and thank you for visiting us every day during your holiday here on Koh Chang. What i do not understand is that with your 5 visits to our restaurant you never complaint or give any kind of feedback about the disappointments you write in your review???

With kind regards

Edwin Nieuwkerk

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

The opinion on the food in our family were different. I liked the Thai food my children did not . The dessert (hot chocolate cake) was not good and we didn't eat it. But the prices are reasonable and the owner is very friendly and comes to the tables it gives a good feeling.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had dinner 2 nights in Mac Mac we found friendly staff and great food and best coffee on island, We loved the pittas and great selection of Thai food. We would recommend any visitor to island to try it out we lived it

Reviewed March 23, 2013

This restaurant has been my culinary highlight so far during my stay in Thailand.
The service was great and the staff very helpful in responding to any inqueries we had about the food.
Drinks and food were delivered almost instantly, and even though the menu stated that the dishes might not be served at the same time, me and my girlfriend got both of ours delivered at the same time.
The green curry that I ordered was the best thing I have tasted so far, someone said earlier that the food tasted like it was pre-made and heated, but this was (with the risk of sounding cliché) made not only with great fresh vegetables, but with great love and care as well.
Both the owner and waiter asked us if our food was okay.

To adress another issue brought up by an earlier reviewer, regarding the restaurant being near the road:
If you don't want to sit by the road, go to one of the restaurants with lesser quality at the beaches. If you don't care about the fact that the restaurant is near the main road of Koh Chang (it's two lanes, so it's not bothersome at all) then go to this fabulous place and have a great meal that is both cheap and delicious!

e_nieuwkerk, Owner at Mak Mak Family Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear VirreVojj,

Thank you very much for your review. We are always pleased to read that somebody really love our restaurant. I appreciate your concerns about reviews we got in the past, that to your opinion do not fit. However, like in every other business, we can not keep everybody satisfied and have to accept the opinion of guests that are less enthousiastic. I have the opportunity to respond on reviews that are less positive and give my site of the story. It is up to the readers of the review to decide which site of the story they value. We keep doing the best we can to keep our customers satisfied with good food for a reasonable price, with good service in a clean restaurant.

On behave of the whole Mak Mak family,

Thanks for a great review

Edwin Nieuwkerk

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The central street in Kai bae has lots of restaurants, one after the other. We wanted to try at least one with good reviews on TA and that's why we chose Mak Mak one evening. The earlier reviewers were right. It's a very good choice. As the seating is some distance from the street the traffic doesn't disturb. You can choose between sitting with the night sky above you or under a roof.
The service was efficient and friendly. They were a bit surprised that we wanted to eat in "Thai style" with many dishes for all to share but they loaded the table with one wonderful dish after an other. Nicely presented and tasty!
The owner took time to come and talk with guests at all the tables.
We left content, not even having any room left for an ice cream.