“Reservation blues”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ko Chang
Magic Garden Resort
Ranked #17 of 120 Specialty Lodging in Ko Chang
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I still do not know what staying Magic Garden is like. I was there in September 2012, when it was fully booked by the time I arrived. So when I went back to Koh Chang in January 2013 I phoned the owner, and fellow Dutchman Matt to make a reservation. He confirmed my stay, but when I arrived I did not get a room as "there were no check-outs this morning". There were also no check-outs the next day, so I had to stay somewhere else. The same happened to another Dutch couple who arrived together with me, also having made a reservation by telephone before.
Magic Garden does not take mail reservations, so it seems you have to have a little luck to experience it. Such a shame, as the place looks really nice, the food is good and the rooms are far from expensive.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Wessel B
There are newer reviews for Magic Garden Resort

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We decided to stay at the Magic Garden after reading some reviews here. It was, however, a bit of a disappointment. We got a hut far away from the bar which was a good idea as they do tend to have parties there every now and then. The hut itself was basic which is not a problem at all, pretty much all the places we stayed at were similar so no problems there. The only problem though was with the dampness of the place - not sure why but it was really damp and weird which we did not experience anywhere else. Saying that, the hut was ok, although not the cheapest or nicest in the area - we found an other place that was on the beach and cheaper so this may be not the best option. the best thing about the Magic Garden is the bar - it is absolutely brilliant with great food, amazing cocktails and a really cool and chilled vibe. I don't necessarily recommend to stay here but it is a good place to socialise and have fun at in the evening.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as far away from the bar as possible as it can get quite noisy
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Matt and the staff are very friendly and helpful and made our stay very nice. The food is top shelf and reasonably priced. A 5minute walk to the beach. The bungalows are pretty good, a bit noisy but other than that, cosy. The bungalows are surrounded by tropical plants and its very peaceful.

Room Tip: Chose a bungalow away from the restaurant for improved sleep
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kiwi_Nicko_85
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I absolutely love the Magic Garden. The beach hut have the comfort you need, the bed is comfy, hot shower, lil hammock outside. It is approx 10 minutes walking to Lonely Beach and maaany bars and restaurants nearby. The Magic garden restaurant itself is awesome, they are very nice and beside food and drinks are GREAT and very cheap !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Really nice restaurant, good food and a great atmosphere at night. Location is good as it is on the main street at Lonely Beach. We only had dinners here, but it is also possible to rent rooms. For Dutch people: they serve bitterballen and kroketten for if you miss home!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The food is great, but what really sets this place apart is how friendly the staff is. This is also a great location to meet other travelers. As a solo traveler, this is the kind of place I always seek out .. The staff was always smiling, warm, and welcoming. The food was really tasty and affordable. You won't find anything better in the lonely beach area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ben K
Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

I arrived in lonely beach at 9pm after an arduous journey from Bangkok. Magic Garden was a sight for sore eyes. I arrived in low season with plans to stay for 3 days but ended up staying for 14. Cheap functional bungalows with their own shower and toilet. A bar restaurant that is unrivalled in lonely beach. Fantastic design where the kitchens are situated underneath the bar and food is delivered via dumb waiter.
The owner Matt was a great bloke. He gave sound advice and also medical assistance when I fell off a waterfall. Blue alcohol and then iodine hurt but did the trick.
Matt's plans for development were really exciting and he took pride in his menu as well as the training of his staff. The staff were friendly and helped me on numerous occasions. The food is magnificent, prepared to high standards but still excellent value. My favourites were Magic Salad and Prawns with chilli sauce.
I would recommended anyone to stay or eat here. You will not be dissapointed. Ignore any nasty reviews.

I will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2012