“Comfortable and Well-run”

Ranked #24 of 73 Hotels in Ko Chang
Vancouver, Canada
“Comfortable and Well-run”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed at the Top Resort for 4 days, and enjoyed my time there the longer I stayed. At first I felt completely out of place, as 90% of the guests and all the management conversed in German, of which I do not speak a word. On the front desk there was a Top Resort Guide to Koh Chang given free to guests, but all the copies were in German. When I asked for an English copy, I was told that they did not get any printed, just in German, because, "We specialize in German clientelle." At that point, I was somewhat regretting my choice of choosing this hotel.

However, my deluxe room was large and clean, with a spacious balcony that had two sets of sliding glass windows, keeping the room very soundproof. There was no phone in the room, so any requests or questions meant I had to walk down two flights of stairs to the front desk, however. The bathroom was fairly large, with basic equipment, and plenty of hot water for the shower, once I had figured out how to get it to work. Someone prior to my arrival had pushed the wrong button, and all I could get was cold water, but when I asked the manager at the front desk he accused me of pressing something, and sent noone to help. Eventually I figured it out and pushed in a reset knob and got hot water.

The private beach is a quite a hike down some very steep steps to a very rocky little bay. No sunbathing here, but perhaps a nice place to do some snorkling. The pool was not overly large, and was full of guests with kids for the four days I was there. The staff were friendly, but not overly so, and the room was cleaned very promptly each day.

The highlight was definitely the fantastic ala carte breakfasts at Paul's restaurant, that sits near the back of the hotel property on the top of a cliff overlooking the sea. Paul is a character, who is incredibly funny and perhaps more then a little eccentric as well. The breakfasts were fantastic, and came with a basket with not only white toast, but real German brown bread and crusty rolls as well. Bacon and Eggs, with coffee and toast was a meal that would last me half the day!

The hotel is located about a 10 minute walk south of the public access entrance to White Sands Beach, with many other bars, spas and restaurants nearby.

I would recommend this hotel to all German speakers, but for others I would definitely have some reservations about recommending it. For myself, should I return to Koh Chang, I would likely look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank LosBound2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Thai first
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Although Top resort is aimed more at the German tourist this is a great place for people no matter where you are from...From the start the feedback and help from Bernhard through email was second to none ,all the staff speak very good English and were so helpful with me and my family!!..We stayed in the family bungalow which was more than adequate for our 9 day stay and the pool and gardens are constantly being looked after and cleaned by the friendly staff!! we spent songkran at the hotel and had a brilliant laugh with all the staff who loved joining in with water fights...this was a very memorable trip for me and my family and we hope some day to return to koh Chang and The Top resort!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul M
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed there from Feb 5th to Feb 10th and loved every minute of it. The resort is very clean, the beds are comfortable, everything is maintained well and the stuff is one of the most helpful I've every experienced. I highly recommend the restaurant there as well. Great food, great view! Like I said - we loved every minute of it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bienchen185
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights last week and were very happy with the experience.

We arrived on Monday afternoon without a booking and asked for 3 nights in a Standard Room. However, they only had the Tue + Wed available in a standard room...and thus gave us a free upgrade to a sea view bungalow for the 1st night. Both the bungalow and the standard room were great.

German managed, but v. English-speaker friendly. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tom s
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The management in this place are truly abysmal. We were overcharged on the bill and then when we queried it they called the police! I get the feeling that this happens a great deal as the police were somewhat bored by the whole thing and were apologetic to us and the matter was sorted - but the resort management never showed their faces. The poor receptionist had to try and sort the matter, and he was obviously not charged with enough responsibility to make decisions. The management were hiding from us all the time, although they were nearby! The manager/owner (?) just was not interested in hearing what we had to say and just kept telling the staff to call the police.

The resort itself is reasonable. It is small, but the rooms are at a fair price. They are not the cleanest rooms I have ever seen (nor the best equipped), but they come at a fairly low price so my expectations were managed. I would say that, with the terrible management attitude, there are better resorts in the price bracket in the middle of White Sands - Top is definitely out of town (but not quiet!). If you are German then yes, you would probably feel more welcome, myself and my family (4 adults and 2 kids) didn't feel welcome at all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Thewatcher2013
Kungsbacka, Sweden
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed with a our son ( 3years) at the hotel for 4 nights over Christmas. The deluxe room was more then what we expected. Large room with a balcony. The hotel has a small pool however this was not a problem as there was almost no guests by the pool. The minibar and the laundry service in the room have the same prices as the 7eleven store down the road.
The hotel personnel where very nice. It is a short walk to the beach, 10 minutes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Denheliga
Almaty, Almaty City, Kazakhstan
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I am very dissapointed about some comments, that resort was not so good because have no direct way to the beach!
Guys, open trip advisor before you plan to stay at Top Resort, not after this!
I have set the highest score to this hotel, because I have not claims or complaints for this hotel, because I have faced with very friendly staff, nice and clean rooms and good restaraunt.
Several times I have asked Managers to solve my problems (wifi for examples) and they always do their best to make our stay there as pleasant as possible.
I wish prosperity and development to Top Resort!
See you in December 2012!

Room Tip: Garden Bungalows, Family Apartment