“A small, humble restaurant serving traditional Thai dishes which are among the best I have had since i was born in Thailand 27 y”

Ka-Ti Culinary Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 276 Restaurants in Ko Chang
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Authentic Thai food by the family recipes .
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I am Thai and I cook. I am particularly fussy and have a very high standard when it comes to Thai food. When I first read the reviews here I feared that the place might be overrated, but to my great surprise Kati really left me speechless for some time after tasting their specialty dish Massaman Gai. It was exactly what a massaman should taste like - led by sweetness, decorated by moderate saltiness and heat from crushed dries chilli, perfumed by aromas of cloves and pepper with a nutty after taste. This is massaman at its best and easily among the best i have ever tasted. Bravo to the chef who undoubtedly has an impeccable sense of Thai taste.

We also ordered Keang Som or the orange/sour curry with fish, pad char with Tiger prawn, and squid in garlic and pepper. The prawns were expensive (550 baht) but they were the biggest Ive ever seen and very fresh so we really got what we paid for. The dish was very tasty packed with a lot of fresh essential ingredients like krachai, kaffir lime leaves, sliced red chilli and basil. The chef certainly know how to balance strong flavours to their best result. The orange curry and the garlic/pepper squids were very flavourful and aromatic prepared with very fresh fish and squid respectively. We paid about 1400 baht in total which is admittedly much higher than the average of what you would pay in an average Thai restaurant BUT this is no ordinary Thai restaurant and their food is by no mean average. I have tasted Thai food cooked by chefs of the thai royal family and Kati's food is easily in the same league.

I get frustrated reading some of the comments by foreigners here criticising their massaman saying its just average. Perhaps they just did not know what massaman should taste like.

One caveat - we also ordered garlic bread as starter as my foreign friend had a craving for it despite my warning. It was just average but this is hardly surprising! Kati is famous for its Thai food NOT western food! If you want sanwishes, burgers or spaghetti go somewhere else!! Their best dishes are curry dishes which are very difficult to get right especially when one has to make the paste from scratch. I have not tried their other dishes like pad thai so I cannot say if they are also good at that but the fact that their curries are so well balanced and delicious is enough for me to recommend them to anyone looking for top class Thai food. Just dont order western food please!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Loved this small restaurant. My vegetable tempura was excellent - too much to finish. The tuna salad was gorgeous and the honey and lemon lassi just perfect. My friend was not so keen on her homemade noodles. Loved the pineapple toffee too. Would happily eat here everyday! Nice vibe in the place too.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The food was very good and cooked from fresh service was very good. And was always packed full of people which shows how good it is. And we went in the rainy season.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had the best food of our trip to Koh Chang at this place. The kids were catered for with sandwiches and fries. We ordered starters of spring rolls and chicken wings with lemongrass. The wings were really nice and tangy. For mains we shared a penang curry with rice which was deliciously peanutty then we all had very tasty homemade caramel and coconut ice cream.
The only negative thing I have to say about our experience is that the staff never seemed in much of a rush to serve us even though we were the only people there. In saying that, I would still definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Four of us went there and had a bunch of dishes. Pad Thai, masuman curry. Stir fried veg. Was good but not great. The only thing that was worth going back for was the tamarind fish, it was cooked and seasoned very well. Considering the great reviews, we were underwhelmed.