“Worst Service of the Trip”

White House Bailan Resort
Ranked #65 of 73 Hotels in Ko Chang
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights. Toilet backed up on 2nd day and it took them 48hrs to fix it. They did not offer an apology, a room change (despite having open rooms), or a discount. After much headache and arguing they took $6 off our $250+ stay. We saw much better deals along the same beach with much prettier facilities. Definitely visit Ko Chang but definitely stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go somewhere (anywhere) else
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank john g
There are newer reviews for White House Bailan Resort

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at the White House resort from the 2nd of January 2013 till. The 10th January 2013, first impressions are the resort has the perfect location situated right on the beach with a pool also, they have about 20 bungalows and then the standard rooms around the back, after reading the reviews on here we opted for the standard room as some had stated that the bungalows where on the small side etc. we were not disappointed with our room so to speak, it was looking a bit tired and in need of some maintenance, but the air con worked fine and the shower always had warm water albeit a next to nothing pressure but hey we are in koh Chang so I wasn't expecting a power shower. Bailan is lovely to have a restful kick back time, we stayed here after staying a week in the rather opposite white sands resort. Unfortunately there are some real issues with the working staff at this resort, I am never one to complain and try to take everything with a pinch of salt but after the 3rd day I was becoming tired of asking 3 different staff members for a simple coke and them all looking straight through me, not having a clue what I was trying to ask for, I have been to some countries a lot more secluded who all seem to know the world wide brand of this drink, but not here it was becoming very strained, my self and my husband used to take turns in the daily battle of ordering the correct breakfast, trying to order a drink in the mid day sun, anything that we tried to ask for we felt we came across a brick wall, and we were not the only ones there that felt like this, eventually in the later part of the week we were going outside the resort to a place called the coconut hut for food and drinks which I have to say is the best place to eat in the whole of koh Chang, a family run place where the food was outstanding every single visit. Back to the White House, there needs a lot of maintenance done here, everything is looking old and shabby and every building is screaming for a lick of fresh paint, there are sunbeds broke which when we left was still on its side by the pool, not taken away for the 4th day. The staff I'm very sorry to say are lazy, sitting on their phones all day when there is quiet clearly a lot to be done around the place. (Especially the young girl) in all my stay I must have seen her work an hour the rest of my stay she hid herself away behind the bar on her phone, when trying to ask for anything I got the same answer every time "what?"!!! I gave up on her in the end. This review is such a shame because it could have been perfect with a few issues being dealt with by the management and maybe someone who could show the staff some guidance, the staff are without a doubt losing them money because everyone goes outside the resort for food and drinks which I feel is a shame. So all in all I did enjoy my stay at he White House but would only return when it had been updated, cleaned & staff are trained properly, so don't let my review put you off staying here it definitely has some thing to offer just don't expect an oil painting because you will be disappointed.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Throughthewifeseye
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had a nice little duplex with airco and tv. White House as enormous potential but it is run down. Everything is rusting away and inside the bathroom has mold. Beds are nice but they never clean or change linens. Pool is clean but unsafe with very slippery tiles when wet. Staff does their best but breakfast area is a hanger and on the beach they had only 4 beds. Location is good but in Bailan you need to pay taxi or motorbike to get to Lonely Beach as the road is too dangerous to walk. We had a great vacation in Lonely Beach but moved to Gu's Bay where we paid a fraction of the price. The "beach" serves no purpose. You can not lay on the small strip of sand during high tide and after 2 meters you get to rocks. Only nice beach is Nature Beach.

Room Tip: If you want a pool in Bailan go to Gu's Bay otherwise Little Eden in Lonely Beach
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank patrick l
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The White House was disappointing because it had so much potential given its location. It is in a much quieter part of the island than areas further north. To start with the positives, it has a number of duplex bungalows located close to a nice beach. There is a pool with towels available. It also has a bar and restaurant located on site. However the rooms have seen better days. We found them small and poky and a little bit dirty. Service at the resort was patchy, perhaps it's better outside peak season. We had to ask for toilet rolls and bed sheets that had been forgotten when our room was cleaned. We didn't eat at the resort, preferring to eat at neighbouring restaurants. Overall the room felt overpriced compared to other resorts we'd booked in SE Asia.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here from end of dec. Payed 3800 bht for 2 nights in a room.

Very Nice And caring owners, especially The lady!

Good location, near the beach. Only 30% of the island got beaches...

You can pay with CC And let the food and drinks be add to the bill

Can have laundery done!

Location is to far to walk to Lonely beach or bang bao. A taxi Will cost you 50 bht a person, one way.

The rooms are small And noting special, if you look at the price.

No Place to put the clothes

The shower didn't have mutch pressure

The staff is nice, but slow. 2 times we made the effort to get food orders.

You can hear a lot of sound from a bar nearby

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is actually my second time at the White House. Last time I visited was two years ago with a friend for a couple of nights (on NY-eve). This time I'm travelling by myself. I came by bus from Cambodia, and was awaiting a warm 'welcome back' from the owner. She made me feel like I never left :)

I was hoping to end my last few days of traveling by doing absolutely nothing except reading, sleeping, swimming and eating. And I did exactly that. It was great, just what I needed after a month of intense traveling.

The staff is wonderful, the breakfasts are still the same (still good) and the view is amazing. Sunset every night.

My room was pretty basic. I never had one of the bungalows, so can't tell you anything about them, but the standard rooms are fine. Don't expect anything fancy, but it's clean, has a good bed to sleep in and a hot water shower (just coming from Cambodia, I really appreciated the hot water :).

When I was here on NY two years ago, the owner did everything she could to make it as special as possible. Asking about our wishes for dinner and just going that extra mile. She said that we would always remember her and that night, which turned out that she was right, since I came back..

I just remembered that she took great care of me the last time when I was completely bruised from my trekking on the mountain (don't wear All Stars.) and when I got stuck with a fever. She is just awesome. Really.

If you're looking for a super fancy place to stay, maybe you're not in the right place, but if you're looking for some peace, away from the white sand & lonely beach madness, give it a go. The staff will make you feel at home.

I would go back a third time without hesitating.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Impressed me with warmly welcome. Peaceful .. Atmosphere. I think here Small but Cute!!

• Stayed: January 2012