“Could be good but....”

Ranked #12 of 115 Specialty Lodging in Ko Chang
A TripAdvisor Member
“Could be good but....”
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

On arrival I was told there would be a 'big party' that night that wouldn't go until too late..... 3/4am! These happen twice a month in peak season. I wish i'd know this before is booked or left Bangkok. It was fully booked so my room was two doors away from the bar. My room also had a very strong smell of damp/mould which I was told was due to the two men staying in there previously! I would say this has more to do with the mould in the shower which didn't really work anyway!

It's away from town so there isn't usually much noise to keep you awake. The rooms are nearly there; just a little better cleaning and tlc. The shower barely worked and it's definitely in need of somewhere to hang wet towels/clothes.

The food was good from what I had and the staff are friendly when around (the kitchen and bar were shut the second day while staff slept off the 'big party'; they were still going at 10am when I got up).

The views are beautiful and it is really relaxing spending the day in one of their hammocks. Take note though, these cottages aren't on the beach but rather a rocky shore which makes it a little tougher for swimming.

As I said this place could be great, just chose your dates wisely.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

The good news is they offer some very cheap bungalows for 400B a night, the bad news us that those bungalows kind if suck and they know it, but apparently don't care.

The receptionist was really friendly and helpful, and tried to scare us away from the 400B rooms, but we just finished volunteering in Africa for two years and are used to really roughing it, so we figured nothing could be so bad here as to scare us away.

Cold water shower only - didn't mind that, actually refreshing with the weather.

Bathrooms and or the water itself in the bathroom smelled like sewage. We even asked them to clean the bathroom halfway through our stay in hopes it would remove the smell, nope. But they obliged, so that's a positive.

Bed was harder than a rock. Worst bed if my life, no joke. They made us pay for all nights in advance SK we were locked in, and didn't want to pay double or more (800 or 1,200B) for another room which may or may not have the same problems..

Bar/restaurant is pretentious. We thought it was a lounge area as well as we didn't notice anyone eating or drinking when we checked it.. But it was made clear it was not when the manager told us we had to buy something because we were, 'paying for a room, not to sit there.' Which I could understand.... If they weren't tucked away on a quite hard to find side street quite far from the beach.... Their clientele is likely mostly hotel guests... And was never more than 1/3 full most days... Would seem to be in their best interest to let us sit there... We even had just talked about our budget and how we should get breakfast and/or dinner and drinks there the following day... But after the manager said that, we took our money elsewhere. They seemed way overpriced anyway.

No outlets in rooms. Had to keep going out to the bar to charge our stuff... But it's not in a convenient place where you could sit and work with anything plugged in.. It's on a small, awkward shelf on the side.

No where to hang wet beach towels or clothes.

Nails sticking out of the walls all over.... Scratched ourselves a couple times.

Seems to me they shouldn't be striving to have the cheapest, crappiest accommodation around, which they try to talk people out if staying in.... Maybe they should fix those places up a little more and charge 100B extra so throb can not get bad reviews, take pride in their whole establishment, and offer good quality along with reasonable prices.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank PettersenKJ
Paris, France
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Magic place, nice and helpfull people. The place is really beautifull, although it is not a sand beach, but the bar area is a really cool place to stay, with nice music and hamac.
I took the cheapest room, which is a bungalow with cold water at 400 bath, and it was fine, just notice that there is no electrical outlet in those rooms (but you there is in the bar).
The food and drinks are good, but a little bit more expensive, the in the village, but the for the view, it worth it!
Just notice that the lonely beach area is a bit noisy at night.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Vooorschoten
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

If u want to relax, go to some party's, love a modern and hippie way of living, wanna see a beautifull green eiland then go to Paradise Cottage. The beds are good, the food is good, the seats directly at the sea (not the beach, but thats only a 5 min walk) are nice. I really enjoyed my stay here. The staff is also very nice. Really, just a good place to relax!!!

• Stayed January 2014
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed for six nights in December here and had a good experience. We loved that it was right on the water with a pretty lounge area. The location was great too because it was just 10mins walk to Lonely Beach. We also appreciated the free wifi that works very well.

We had stayed 2 nights at the Warapura resort next door first (which was awesome) but could only stay there a couple nights because it is quite a bit more expensive (around 80 USD per night over there). We were happy that Paradise Cottage had an available bungalow since it is peak season and for just 400 Baht (12 or so USD) per night.

We can't complain much because the price is right, but a few cons would be:
- no hot water in this type of cheaper hut (Paradise Cottage has a couple or few price brackets I think with more expensive huts having more amenities)
- the bed was quite hard
- Paradise Cottage had a weird kind of depressed/somber atmosphere to it. Maybe because we had just come from Warapura (like I mentioned) which is really cheery and fun with bright colorful decorations, etc
- no swimming pool.. but lots of the cheaper accommodations don't have swimming pools

Overall, though, for an inexpensive place to stay, there were a lot of really nice features! And again, I loved that it was right on the water.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carol S
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Overall, I did enjoy my stay here and would return to stay again.

Pros:
- Beautiful lounge/restaurant area overlooking the sea.
- Bar has good food at reasonable prices.
- Many travel services available at the hotel: day trips, onward transport, scooter and snorkel hire. I only used the scooter hire, which was fine.
- A little away from the bars and clubs, so it seems fairly peaceful.
- Very few mosquitoes at night
- Wifi in the bar area, though quite slow.
- staff are attentive and helpful.

Cons:
- No beach nearby. You either have to walk on the road for 10mins (not recommended) or hire a scooter.
- I stayed in the 500 baht wood hut with fan - a bit rough round the edges, no glass windows. Only wooden shutters you have to open to let the light in. Plenty of geckos and a few ants. Cold water shower only.
- Hut was not very clean: staff had swept the floor, but the shelves and wood-beams were very dusty. As I'd already unpacked my bag, I didn't bother to ask staff to dust the room again. Staff do not make up the rooms each day (I didn't ask them to either).
- Noise at night: between the thai DJ filling the hotel bar with house beats and the bar on the main road playing live music and karaoke, you'll want to pack a decent pair of earplugs!

Room Tip: I was happy to stay in the wooden garden hut with fan on my own. But if my girlfriend comes with me...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Don't get any special deal with them as you will be treated as "cheap customers". We had an online last minute deal for a basic bungalow without many comforts as we wanted to have a "wild experience". The receptionist (maybe the manager) asked us to pay everything in advance when we haven't even seen the room. We asked kindly if breakfast was included and she laughed at us saying that for the CHEAP price we paid we couldn't have breakfast. She then showed us the room explaining what service we won't have because we paid so little (ex: we the price we paid we OBVIOUSLY didn't have hot water). In more then one occasion we have been reminded also in front of other guests that we were in the CHEAP bungalow or we had the CHEAP services, etc.. A part from that the bungalow was actually very nice, exactly what we were looking for. The lounge was exceptional and we would have loved to spend more time (and money) I. There if it wasn't we were treated as "THE CHEAP". The location was great and lonely beach is a very nice place for young people to stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple