“Terrible customer service but amazing views”
Review of Paradise Cottage

Paradise Cottage
Ranked #12 of 115 Specialty Lodging in Ko Chang
Ottawa, Canada
“Terrible customer service but amazing views”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed at Paradise cottage (concrete bungalow with a fan) for 3 nights in December 2012.

CONS:
1) The manager and another staff member were beyond rude. There was absolutely no customer service.
2) Do not leave any of your valuables at the front desk, as I found out that when the manager is away, they simple keep the valuables unlocked under the desk.
3) Try to pay for food and drinks immediately because if you pay at the end you may have other people's bills mixed up with your own.
4) I booked a taxi with them to Bangkok and got bumped out of the van and put on a pickup because the driver wanted to make more money.

PROS:
1) The views are AMAZING and they vibe is quite chill (with all the hammocks).
2) They don't have a swimmable beach but you it is a short walk to the nearest beach and restaurants.
3) The staff members working at the bar were friendly.
4) The room was clean and reasonably priced.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MarciaJ3160

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Thai first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in January 2013, at the height of the Season.

Having stayed in Lonely Beach many times previous, and having endured the endless parties, with accompanying noise. Paradise Cottage proved just that, it is paradise, and it's quiet.

So, not only can you enjoy the parties, you can also retreat and enjoy the peace that Koh Chang has to offer.

Having found a deal on Agoda for the Sea Front Cottage, at less than 1000 Baht a night between the two of us, what more could you ask for? Our balcony faced the sea, albeit a rocky beach. However, this wasn't a problem and with the aid of some flip flops or shoes, you could venture out to the flat sands, once the tide had retreated. Additionally if you are beach hungry, you could talk a walk past the village and towards the more built up area, where the natural sands are, and where the bathers, sun worshippers congregate. FYI: Lonely Beach is most probably the best beach on the island. Calm blue waters, gorgeous sands, plenty of restaurants to visit and as already mentioned, a number of parties at night

To be able to open the doors to our bungalow and listen to the sea lapping at the shore was nothing but heavenly. The rooms were adequate and boutique in style, minimalistic yet secure and cosy. Insects weren't a problem due to the fly screens over the doors/windows and the AC was adequate. Although, I suffered with a bad chest as a result of the AC, the bar staff were happy to let me borrow their industrial fan to pacify the heat at night and aid with sleep.

The food was great from the bar, both Thai and Western. And reasonably priced. Likewise with the drinks and other items available. Most breakfasts, if not all, were had on the decking, over looking the sea. Likewise with our meals at night. Pong, the owner, was a star, his hospitality and that of staff knew no bounds. He invited us to a bespoke BBQ, with a celeb guest and newlywed wife, who had also checked in during our stay, celebrating their honeymoon. Additionally, when I had a gig in the village (being a DJ, this means carting your equipment to and from the venue), on noticing this, Pong immediately instructed one of his staff to take the bag from me, and deliver it to the venue. True customer service.

There were hammocks a plenty, in the bar area and to while away the afternoon, swinging in them was a joy.

The wifi was steady, during our two weeks. It was constant and relatively fast in comparison to other places I have stayed on Koh Chang. Luckily, the router was positioned on our roof and therefore, this may have helped somewhat. Although, I noticed a number of routers positioned throughout the complex, so a connection shouldn't be a problem.

There was no TV, which didn't hinder our stay. If you needed to catch up with events taking place, the internet sufficed.

And in the bar area, most nights, a DJ played chilled tunes, suiting the ambiance of the venue and setting. I also note that once a month, during the high season there is a party, which to date I have yet to have the pleasure of attending. But, by all accounts, they have been off the chart!!!!

All in all, I would return and keep returning. I only wish I had found Paradise a lot earlier than I did.

Room Tip: Pick the sea front, unless you are on budget. Thankfully, there are others rooms available for most...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Celje, Slovenia
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We selected this place due to its affordable price comparing to pictures posted on the web. The cottages looked like some minimalistic raw concrete style approach, which we liked. We weren't disappointed, as it happens, pictures are better then reality but still very close. The central area is designed very nice and I can imagine it can become a very lively dance ground. Especially I liked the lightning, it gets pretty in the night.

One of the drawbacks would be the cottage toilet, it looks and feels dirty. Maybe this raw concrete style shouldn't be thoroughly implemented there, ceramics would go off better. It smells and looks like it is never cleaned. But that are just the looks, otherwise it is not so dirty.
Second would be one of the stuff, a woman that looked like she is a manager or at least one of the managing stuff. Other stuff was polite, helpful and even felt somehow apologetic because of her bahavior. Sharp, sarcastic, acting like she is a center of the universe and this is the only place you can got to on Koh Chang. Which cannot be further from the truth.
Third and final drawback is a beach. You cannot swim here, at least not jump and swim. Its full of rocks, some very sharp and to get to the swimming level of water you have to walk very far or go to another beach. It gets easier at high tide though.

I am a regular visitor to Koh Chang and even the views are nice, cottages and the central area too I will not go back here again. Reasons mentioned above, the second one being a decision maker.

Room Tip: The bigger the number of the room (1-9), the further away form central area and its music you will b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Paradise Cottage was booked on a whim and was definitely worth it. They have three levels of bungalow- 1200BHT, 750BHT and 400BHT. We opted for the 750BHT- fan, hot water and a bed. Rooms were basic and weren't designed for anything else other than sleeping which is fine. We travelled with our toddler who slept in the same bed as us, not brilliant for kids but the staff were happy to have us and we felt welcomed.

The restaurant was excellent offering a range of food for good prices. It is a party place with a chilled vibe, the music played during the evening was soulful house and deep grooves. Danny Rampling played there a few weekends prior to our visit, so you'll meet plenty of people if you want to party. We came across a good crowd at breakfast who clearly hadn't been to bed!

However, if it is chill-out you want, then you can have it too. The beach huts surrounding the bar areas all have hammocks and floor mates that overlook the most beautiful of views. The staff are attentive and yet balance that perfectly with letting you be.

It's not near the beach, a taxi ride costing no more than 30BHT per person should get you to Nature Beach which is sandy and has bars/restaurants. I wouldn't recommend swimming at Paradise- too many rocks and I would imagine a little dangerous.

Overall, we would stay there again.

Room Tip: You don't need the AC- we went at the begining of summer and a fan was more than enough!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I picked this one primarily because it was highly recommended by the new Lonely Planet guidebook. Even though I've lived in Thailand for about 4 years, I still rely on that damn book like it's the traveler's bible to Thailand and it has seldom steered me wrong.

I stayed three nights at Paradise Cottage with my girlfriend and really had a wonderful time. It's probably not for everyone though and you should consider whether you fit the profile. If you are a bit beyond the super scruffy, noisy and cheap fan rooms but not yet really the resort type, then this is probably a place that you will like. The highlight is definitely the great common area with cheap and tasty cocktails, chilled out trancey/house music played by a live DJ, and breathtaking views of an emerald green sea crashing on a rocky beach. I also loved waking up with a perfect view of that self-same sea from the little balcony attached to my bungalow. Because of that, I'd have to strongly disagree with some of the other reviewers who said it isn't worth the extra baht to rent a sea view bungalow because I watched some amazing sunsets from my deck.

Those things said, there are some things about the place that could possibly annoy some travelers. It is a good long walk to get to Lonely Beach (I'd say 15 minutes) and you should probably rent a motorbike if you are staying more than a night or two. Although it sort of comes across as a chic minimalist aesthetic, the bungalows themselves are also pretty basic. There is no fridge, TV or even light over the mirror in the bathrooms and you won't get things like fresh towels, soap and water every day. Finally, if you're not at all into electronic music then you might find the whole common area scene a bit irritating (although I'm fairly picky about my music and I found the DJ very hard not to like).

So, bottom line is that if you're a flashpacker in your 20's or 30's (or a still hip 40-something) and don't mind giving up a bit of convenience for a lovely view, good value and very cool vibe--then you should go for this. If you're looking for something a bit more luxurious, right on a sandy beach or fawning customer service then you'd probably do better elsewhere. For me though, this was a great escape from Bangkok for a few days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ben H
Reviewed March 9, 2013

If you stay, you won't spend anytime in the room anyway so who cares what it looks like! You can laze about in a hammock and watch the sea all day-that's about all there is to do on the property. The rooms smell musty and the air con seems to blow directly on you no matter how you set it. I the bathroom was gross. But this is a beach bum place so don't get too haughty. Again the scenery is gorgeous and the property is quiet. I would recommend it but just don't plan to stay in the room.
We were charged 1000baht which appears to be a bit of an overcharge. We didn't research before. The restaurant was okay a little overpriced.

• Stayed March 2013
London
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I really liked this place - we paid around 300-400 bahts a night for one of the more basic, non-sea view cottages and we really liked it. the cottage was basic but very clean. There were some nice concrete, air-con bungalows on the beach - some of our friends had those - for about 700 bahts and they were really good with air-con and stylish bathrooms. The bar is great with nice chill-out areas and hammocks, you can just spend a whole day in them surfing on the net or reading. The hotel is on the beach, although it's an awkward stoney one but you actually swim out on the morning high tide - you can easily swim to Lonely Beach if you fancy.

Room Tip: If you have a bit money to spare try the concrete sea-view bungalows, they're pretty good value...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple