“A pleasant surprise.”

Paradise Cottage
Ranked #13 of 114 Specialty Lodging in Ko Chang
“A pleasant surprise.”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Paradise Cottage was booked on a whim and was definitely worth it. They have three levels of bungalow- 1200BHT, 750BHT and 400BHT. We opted for the 750BHT- fan, hot water and a bed. Rooms were basic and weren't designed for anything else other than sleeping which is fine. We travelled with our toddler who slept in the same bed as us, not brilliant for kids but the staff were happy to have us and we felt welcomed.

The restaurant was excellent offering a range of food for good prices. It is a party place with a chilled vibe, the music played during the evening was soulful house and deep grooves. Danny Rampling played there a few weekends prior to our visit, so you'll meet plenty of people if you want to party. We came across a good crowd at breakfast who clearly hadn't been to bed!

However, if it is chill-out you want, then you can have it too. The beach huts surrounding the bar areas all have hammocks and floor mates that overlook the most beautiful of views. The staff are attentive and yet balance that perfectly with letting you be.

It's not near the beach, a taxi ride costing no more than 30BHT per person should get you to Nature Beach which is sandy and has bars/restaurants. I wouldn't recommend swimming at Paradise- too many rocks and I would imagine a little dangerous.

Overall, we would stay there again.

Room Tip: You don't need the AC- we went at the begining of summer and a fan was more than enough!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Thai first
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I picked this one primarily because it was highly recommended by the new Lonely Planet guidebook. Even though I've lived in Thailand for about 4 years, I still rely on that damn book like it's the traveler's bible to Thailand and it has seldom steered me wrong.

I stayed three nights at Paradise Cottage with my girlfriend and really had a wonderful time. It's probably not for everyone though and you should consider whether you fit the profile. If you are a bit beyond the super scruffy, noisy and cheap fan rooms but not yet really the resort type, then this is probably a place that you will like. The highlight is definitely the great common area with cheap and tasty cocktails, chilled out trancey/house music played by a live DJ, and breathtaking views of an emerald green sea crashing on a rocky beach. I also loved waking up with a perfect view of that self-same sea from the little balcony attached to my bungalow. Because of that, I'd have to strongly disagree with some of the other reviewers who said it isn't worth the extra baht to rent a sea view bungalow because I watched some amazing sunsets from my deck.

Those things said, there are some things about the place that could possibly annoy some travelers. It is a good long walk to get to Lonely Beach (I'd say 15 minutes) and you should probably rent a motorbike if you are staying more than a night or two. Although it sort of comes across as a chic minimalist aesthetic, the bungalows themselves are also pretty basic. There is no fridge, TV or even light over the mirror in the bathrooms and you won't get things like fresh towels, soap and water every day. Finally, if you're not at all into electronic music then you might find the whole common area scene a bit irritating (although I'm fairly picky about my music and I found the DJ very hard not to like).

So, bottom line is that if you're a flashpacker in your 20's or 30's (or a still hip 40-something) and don't mind giving up a bit of convenience for a lovely view, good value and very cool vibe--then you should go for this. If you're looking for something a bit more luxurious, right on a sandy beach or fawning customer service then you'd probably do better elsewhere. For me though, this was a great escape from Bangkok for a few days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ben H
Reviewed March 9, 2013

If you stay, you won't spend anytime in the room anyway so who cares what it looks like! You can laze about in a hammock and watch the sea all day-that's about all there is to do on the property. The rooms smell musty and the air con seems to blow directly on you no matter how you set it. I the bathroom was gross. But this is a beach bum place so don't get too haughty. Again the scenery is gorgeous and the property is quiet. I would recommend it but just don't plan to stay in the room.
We were charged 1000baht which appears to be a bit of an overcharge. We didn't research before. The restaurant was okay a little overpriced.

• Stayed March 2013
London
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I really liked this place - we paid around 300-400 bahts a night for one of the more basic, non-sea view cottages and we really liked it. the cottage was basic but very clean. There were some nice concrete, air-con bungalows on the beach - some of our friends had those - for about 700 bahts and they were really good with air-con and stylish bathrooms. The bar is great with nice chill-out areas and hammocks, you can just spend a whole day in them surfing on the net or reading. The hotel is on the beach, although it's an awkward stoney one but you actually swim out on the morning high tide - you can easily swim to Lonely Beach if you fancy.

Room Tip: If you have a bit money to spare try the concrete sea-view bungalows, they're pretty good value...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anna A
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 14, 2013

First off I have to say that the service from the front desk staff was awful. Really rude and unhelpful. You would think they are doing you a huge favour by allowing you to stay there the way they acted. The bar restaurant staff were fairly inattentive but at least they were polite. This was my fourth visit to Thailand and I have stayed in many different spots. This place was the least value for money. The room was a bit dirty as well. I stayed in the most expensive room there and yet it had no safe, or fridge. This is not the end of the world but other places that are far cheaper do actually provide this. It is however in a beautiful spot and the views were fantastic. I wouldnt book there again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Paradise is a really relaxed place with beautiful sunsets and great food which is cheap. I intended to stay here just a couple of days but I stayed for 10 days! I stayed at an AC room which was very convenient and clean. The staff were really friendly and helpful. They helped me sort out lots of things and helped me to plan activities like diving and jungle trekking. The staff was also really helpful the moment I injured my foot by riding a scooter and had to go to hospital. Especially Julia, the manager, was really kind by offering me a cottage that was closer to the restaurant so I didn't had to walk too much but luckily that was not necessary. The staff brought me to and from the hospital for 3 days!!

There's only one small thing and that are the lights on the road. The road is pretty dark at night
But overall there's nothing better than just to lay in your hammock and listen to the relaxing music and watch the sunset while you're drinking a cold beer!! Also met some really cool people here from the UK and Sweden. I'm traveling for more than a year but this is one of the best places I've ever stayed so I thought this is a good reason for my first review here :).

Had a great time and I will definitely come back here!!! Kop kun kap Paradise!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The view from the bar lounge is amazing and we got good service from the bar. Beautiful sunset spot!!

Never seen such bad service in a guesthouse after 1 year living and traveling in Thailand. The staff is not friendly, lazy to help or give advice, no information about anything, bad smell in the rooms, no set prices (so they change the prices when it's check out time), aggressive attitude from Julia when you try to explain your point about the change of price and verbal threats from her.

Overall everything seems to be complicated for them and they never have the time to help you (but they have time to play silly games with guys customers at night). Everything is overpriced (laundry, food and rooms) and they are even cheap on toilet paper. The beach is not very swimmable too, lots of rocks and you nee to walk for 15 minutes to get to Lonely Beach. The 2 young girls at the reception don't seem to be very experienced with customer service... Never smiling and lack of basic politeness. We only stayed because everything else was booked for New Years on the island. Will definitely not come back and advise people to go somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012